Advice for student beginning Post-Bac this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wratkins99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently finishing up my last semester of undergrad and have recently been accepted into Meredith College's Pre-Health Post-Bac 2018-2019 cohort. My undergrad degree is in an unrelated field so the purpose of this post-bac is as a "career-changer" where I take all prerequisites over a calendar year. This summer I will start with BIO 1/2 and gCHE 1/2, then over the Spring and Fall Semesters I will be taking Physics 1/2, oCHE 1/2, as well as two upper level bios (biochem and another undecided). I have also just began my first shadowing experience shadowing a local Orthopaedic Surgeon in his private practice. I don't intend on applying until I complete the program simply because I feel applying earlier would be a waste of money.

I am looking for any advice on what opportunities to pursue and strategies to utilize over this upcoming calendar year. When would you recommend taking the MCAT for the first time? What opportunities should I pursue during this time? What all can I expect throughout this process? Thanks to all for any information you may have.

Some basic background info on me
cGPA: 3.52 (have taken 3 psych courses as well as intro sociology, needed for MCAT?)
"Leadership Experience": 2+ years certified personal trainer / group fitness instructor (20+ hours a week while in school full time)
Volunteer Experience: 1 year Miracle League (baseball league for individuals with special needs)

Members don't see this ad.

You take the MCAT when you're 100% ready for it and it doesn't interfere with your post-bac. You're in a marathon now, not a sprint.

You need to shadow clinicians and volunteer with patients.

Reactions: 3 users
Dont forget to build up your letter of recommendation reservoir during your post bacc classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadow, volunteer. Get some clinical experience and non clinical. Get close to your professors and maybe try to build some strong relationships to perhaps get started in some research? Good luck!