Advice for Third Time Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T14dan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello world

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Have you spoken with the admissions departments where you applied to see what they recommend? Your stats aren't awful, plenty of people with GPAs lower than yours gain acceptances. How do you feel about your interview? Have you had an objective person look over your personal statement?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At this point, I would start a Masters. Retake your DAT. Redo your personal statement. Everything else you did was great. Maybe your personal statement turned a lot of adcoms off to inviting you? What do you think? Only you can know if that is a possibility.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, I would start a Masters. Retake your DAT. Redo your personal statement. Everything else you did was great. Maybe your personal statement turned a lot of adcoms off to inviting you? What do you think? Only you can know if that is a possibility.

I agree with all of this. I'd add that you should make sure you are applying broadly and reasonably. Are you applying to schools that accept a lot of OOS applicants? Be honest with yourself about your stats and about where you have a chance.

You seem to be a solid applicant I would contact the schools to see what they suggest you do. I probably wouldn't retake the DAT a 20 and nothing below a 18 is a decent score you can definitely get into schools with that. Also, have someone look over your personal statement that could be a factor. And apply broadly and be realistic about schools you may have a chance at. Many people have gotten in (myself included) with worse stats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
What was your school list both times, and what is your state residency?

Pretty much the same list both years.
MUSC, VCU, ECU, UNC, Tufts, NYU, Temple, Midwestern(both) and Alabama. State Residency: NC

You should be applying to 15-2o schools with your GPA. Add more private schools as well.

Reactions: 2 users
You seem to be a solid applicant I would contact the schools to see what they suggest you do. I probably wouldn't retake the DAT a 20 and nothing below a 18 is a decent score you can definitely get into schools with that."

I think OP was saying that the score would be invalidated after three years. So having to go through the DAT gauntlet all over again is a factor in OP's decision (my assumption). You're right though, solid score.

You have good statistics, there is no need to redo your DAT. Make sure your personal statement clearly conveys your interest in dentistry and why you would make a great dentist based on your experiences/EC's.

Was the 5 MOM Clinics and 40 hours of volueenteering just your dental related volueenteering or was that all your volueenteering? Some of your schools are volunteer heavy (like 150+ hours)... I'm specifically thinking about ECU and VCU.

I would either apply to 30 programs next cycle or enroll in a 1-year masters program immediately. I would not re-take DAT.

Yeah, I can't speak as to why ECU declined to interview me. I have done 5 NCMOM Clinics and have about 40 hours volunteering at a free dental clinic in Charlotte.
Have you taken your application to the adcom or know a faculty at your state school? I know many are willing to review the application prior to submission and it will also impact you more to call and ask to review the past application. Most look for improvement but I feel the weakest points may be the volunteer diversity or personal statement. I completely understand the issues in continuing your education, however, I feel you may have already proved you can handle the course load in the post bac.

Serious question not trying to come off as a jerk, but why would anyone tell him to retake his dat when he got a 20AA and do a masters when he got a 3.7 in a post bacc? Tons of people get accepted with lower stats than that. It has to be a problem somewhere else.

Last edited:
Serious question not trying to come off as a jerk, but why would anyone tell him to retake his dat when he got a 20AA and do a masters when he got a 3.7 in a post bacc? Tons of people get accepted with lower stats than that. It has to be a problem somewhere else.

Because his postbacc is only two semesters. He will also have a gap. He will also have to retake the DAT. And a two semester postbacc is kind of the same as someone who just did an extra year of undergrad like a super senior which is not that uncommon for science majors so essentially you're trying to play off the last year of undergrad being the sole GPA to look at and pretend it's a grad GPA instead. I'm not taking anything away from his success and his academic capabilities, he is clearly doing great, I'm just answering your question.

Because his postbacc is only two semesters. He will also have a gap. He will also have to retake the DAT. And a two semester postbacc is kind of the same as someone who just did an extra year of undergrad like a super senior which is not that uncommon for science majors so essentially you're trying to play off the last year of undergrad being the sole GPA to look at and pretend it's a grad GPA instead. I'm not taking anything away from his success and his academic capabilities, he is clearly doing great, I'm just answering your question.
Ah I completely missed the part about him having to retake the DAT because it's his third time, even though that was right in the beginning.

Yeah the post bac part makes sense being only a year. I understand what people are saying now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Are gap years frowned upon at dental schools?

Are gap years frowned upon at dental schools?

Definitely not. In fact, each year, more and more students are applying with credentials beyond a Bachelors and added experience. The amount of people undertaking postbacc courses (formal or informal) and Master degree programs (thesis, non-thesis, or MBS) are increasing. The amount of people competing increases, therefore, people are increasing their chances by taking advanced courses, obtaining advanced degrees, and applying with experience.

So, it looks like my third try is going to be as bad as my first and second. I got 1 interview and was rejected this cycle. Does anyone have any advice on where to go from here? Part of me just wants to give up and do something else unless I can see a reasonable path forwards. I'm playing with the idea of alternate health careers right now, but I certainly won't do medicine, even if I could get in.

Stats: (so you have an idea where I am)
DAT: 20 (nothing below 18) (only have taken the test once, so I'd have to retake it to reapply)
Undergrad: 3.1 (one year health crisis crashed my gpa, but pre-reqs were A/A- in Bio I/II/ChemI/ChemII/OrgoI/PhysicsII/Calc. Genetics was B- and OrgII was C+.
Post Bacc: 3.7 (2 semesters) . (mostly A's in biology classes like Physiology/Virology/Ecology ect)
Shadowing: many hours in multiple offices and clinics
Current Job: Pharm Tech and my boss wrote a glowing recommendation, outside of the AADSAS recs.
Research: Plenty. 2 publications(one in healthcare, one in chemistry), 1 award for healthcare research
EC's: mainly sports and fitness stuff (state champion 2x in tennis, still play tournaments and teach for extra money)

I'm 27 next week and feel like I should have a more stable career right now. I'd really appreciate advice, positive or negative, from anyone who wants to give their 2 cents.
Thanks guys.

To be honest, this could be a blessing for you.
1. You are currently NOT in debt. Based on your stats, it's likely you will get into one of the expensive private schools. If you apply to tons of programs next cycle and got in, how are you going to pay for it? (military/nhsc are almost impossible to get nowadays).
2. You don't know if you had the hand skills or not until you try dental school. What if you can't hack it and having end up to remediate or dismissed from the school?
3. I think PA might be a good option for you (lower tuition) and you can specialize in like dermatology/surgery

My GF is a pharmacist who has been working at a pharmaceutical company specializing in dermatology products for almost 4 years now. Yes, I know the pharmacy job market isn't so hot now(she confirmed) but she goes to conferences a lot and meets with dermatologist, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners. She said PAs and NPs are getting more and more involved with care and making a lot more $$$

To be honest, this could be a blessing for you.
1. You are currently NOT in debt. Based on your stats, it's likely you will get into one of the expensive private schools. If you apply to tons of programs next cycle and got in, how are you going to pay for it? (military/nhsc are almost impossible to get nowadays).
2. You don't know if you had the hand skills or not until you try dental school. What if you can't hack it and having end up to remediate or dismissed from the school?
3. I think PA might be a good option for you (lower tuition) and you can specialize in like dermatology/surgery

My GF is a pharmacist who has been working at a pharmaceutical company specializing in dermatology products for almost 4 years now. Yes, I know the pharmacy job market isn't so hot now(she confirmed) but she goes to conferences a lot and meets with dermatologist, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners. She said PAs and NPs are getting more and more involved with care and making a lot more $$$

Why do you say this military is hard to get? there is 200 spots a year I don't know if that is across all three branches but from other Navy recruiters they have mentioned you can even join as a DS1

Why do you say this military is hard to get? there is 200 spots a year I don't know if that is across all three branches but from other Navy recruiters they have mentioned you can even join as a DS1
The HPSP is hovering around a 50% acceptance rate right now, I believe. If deployments go up in the future, the competitiveness will go down. To be competitive these days one should be bringing a 3.6 GPA and 21 DAT score to the table.

Big Hoss