Advice for time off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BamaAlum

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to solicit some advice. According to AACOMAS my GPA is 3.27. My GPA over my last 65 hours was 3.76. During that time I took approximately 50 hours of upper level science courses in hopes of offsetting my less than stellar 1st two years. My MCAT score is a 27. My rec's are excellent. I have tons of medically related experience including two years as a phlebotomist. I am currently working as a research assistant at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in a human genetics lab. I will not be applying until June of 2002. My question is what should I do to improve my chances over the next year. In terms of graduate courses, upper level undergrad. courses and perhaps a MCAT retake. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

WELCOME TO SDN!!! :D

I just wanted to say that your stats are pretty competitive.... I'll bet you'll get accepted in one of the osteopathic med schools, at least, and your worries will just fade away. Apply early and choose the schools wisely.

Hi BamaAlum,

The only thing I can see from what you have given, is that you might want to be sure you have some community service. I don't know if it's true for all med schools, DO or otherwise, but I know at UHS they set a very high premium on community service, especially if it shows an ongoing pattern of such. From what I have heard from adcoms that have visited our school over the years, that is pretty much true for a lot of schools (not all though!) I do believe DO schools are more attuned to that than MD schools, in general, but that may be just my perception!

Cheers,