Advice for transferring between medical schools

Started by Mdysseus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mdysseus

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking for advice on transferring medical schools after second year. There's very little information out there, and I haven't found any formal applications.

I'm a first year medical student but non-traditional and a few years older than most. I'm at a decent midwest school now, but in a city that necessitates a major professional sacrifice on my fiance's part to move here. Neither of us want her to make that sacrifice. For now we're living far apart and though we see each other monthly it's diffiult. So, I'm looking into transferring. Has anyone here transferred or know someone who has and can offer me advice?

I know it happens, although in only small numbers every year. Whom do I contact at schools in which I'm interested (basically the New York and Boston schools)? The admissions director is usually not accessible when you call up out of the blue. I have only found passing reference to transferring on some of the schools websites, no mention on most, and never a formal application.

Also, the timeline. Should I be on the same timeline as first-year applicants or should I wait a few months for that furor to die down? Rumor has it that transfer applications are accepted or denied based on Step 1 scores; does that suggest I wait?
 
I'm looking for advice on transferring medical schools after second year. There's very little information out there, and I haven't found any formal applications.

I'm a first year medical student but non-traditional and a few years older than most. I'm at a decent midwest school now, but in a city that necessitates a major professional sacrifice on my fiance's part to move here. Neither of us want her to make that sacrifice. For now we're living far apart and though we see each other monthly it's diffiult. So, I'm looking into transferring. Has anyone here transferred or know someone who has and can offer me advice?

I know it happens, although in only small numbers every year. Whom do I contact at schools in which I'm interested (basically the New York and Boston schools)? The admissions director is usually not accessible when you call up out of the blue. I have only found passing reference to transferring on some of the schools websites, no mention on most, and never a formal application.

Also, the timeline. Should I be on the same timeline as first-year applicants or should I wait a few months for that furor to die down? Rumor has it that transfer applications are accepted or denied based on Step 1 scores; does that suggest I wait?
 
Could try a two pronged approach. Call up the director/dean of admissions, and the chair for academic affairs. Their two concerns are your background which can be satisfied by USMLE Step 1, and the space available at the school for your clinical rotations.

The schools over here in CA, like UCSF do not accept transfers at ANY level. I think there needs to be a huge reason why you want to transfer, since med schools are limited, many apply, and so forth.

Like if your fiance was at the school you went to, that might provide a bit more reason for them to let you in. But Like i said its pretty hard. Most people just suck it up and move forward. A pediatrician I shadowed with was married. Husband stayed at their home in Sacramento, CA, while she went to med school at Tulane over in New Orleans, LA. It worked out though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Mdysseus,

One of my friends transferred to a top notch program after our first year, for very similar personal reasons that you mentioned. Unfortunately I don't know the details of how she went about it, but I know our Dean of Students helped guide her along the way. Swing by his/her office as soon as you can and be honest about your situation. She also contacted admission offices directly to find out more information. I also recall her telling me that many programs were more likely to accept transfers for students b/n second and third year (rather than after the first year), primarily for curriculum conflicts.

Not sure if this helps. But good luck to you.
 
It may also be helpful to e-mail the Dean or Chair and CC their assistant. That way when you call, they will already have the background info. I have found that they are usually happy to answer my questions in person.
 
Hi there,
I merged these duplicate threads. To the OP: Please DO NOT cross post. It eats up space on our server. Pick a forum and post in one forum please.
njbmd 🙂
 
I'm also facing this situation. My wife-to-be is an academic with a job nowhere near where I applied. I'm hoping to transfer after my second year, but the admissions offices that I've contacted have been less than helpful.

I've been admitted to several medical school for next year. Is there anything about the school you're transferring from that makes it easier to transfer? Having grades vs P/F? Being higher ranked? Obviously I need to do well in school if I have any hope to make the transfer happen.
 
slim06 said:
I'm also facing this situation. My wife-to-be is an academic with a job nowhere near where I applied. I'm hoping to transfer after my second year, but the admissions offices that I've contacted have been less than helpful.

I've been admitted to several medical school for next year. Is there anything about the school you're transferring from that makes it easier to transfer? Having grades vs P/F? Being higher ranked? Obviously I need to do well in school if I have any hope to make the transfer happen.
It does happen but it's not common and there usually needs to be a good reason. My friend was the top-ranked student in a school in the midwest when she transferred to Tufts (after year 2) because her husband was a postdoc at Harvard. She needed to show her transcript, step 1 score, and provide a detailed letter explaining the reason for seeking a transfer. Good luck!
 
Thanks for your help. It sounds like I should contact the schools directly, though they may not be very helpful, and also talk with my Dean of Student Affairs. It's obviously a bit sensitive since I don't want to offend anyone here.

I found this website with some information about transfering, although the information may not be very accurate. I found a few discrepancies between the data here and the websites of specific schools.
http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/
 
Another question: does anyone have any idea about one's chances for transferring? I hear anecdotal evidence that a friend did it, and I've found the numerator for successful transfers, but I've never heard a denominator.

If two people transferred to a given school, how many applied? Anyone know where to find this information? The admissions offices aren't very open with that data.
 
Mdysseus said:
Another question: does anyone have any idea about one's chances for transferring? I hear anecdotal evidence that a friend did it, and I've found the numerator for successful transfers, but I've never heard a denominator.

If two people transferred to a given school, how many applied? Anyone know where to find this information? The admissions offices aren't very open with that data.

from what i've heard, it is totally dependant on attrition. there isn't an acceptance rate like there is in regular med school admissions. it's not uncommon for there to be no spaces at all. i just got a rejection letter saying that there were no spaces in their 3rd year class, because of the large number of md/phd's starting their clinical years and almost no attrition from the md track.

so, if # of open spaces in the class = the # of transfer positions available, then there really is no way to know the denominator, unless you can get someone to tell you how many people have left the class (and i get the feeling that admissions offices don't want to finalize the number until late in the process.) which is unfortunate; that sort of information would be helpful before applying.

i'm not sure how accurate the aamc website is. i think the bottom line is that transferring is certainly not guaranteed. they may make exceptions for stand-out applicants, i don't know.

good luck to you! :luck: