MD Advice given current GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbuSina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be a senior and I need some advice. I intend to take a gap year, have not yet taken the MCAT and am planning to do so at the end of the summer (Sep). sGPA 2.85, cGPA 3.22, top 10 uni (US News).

My goal is to get into an MD program. I need some advice on how to focus my efforts to make that happen. I have decent extracurriculars and I can provide more info if needed. I'm basically wondering, what should I do besides earn a high MCAT and high grades my senior year? What are the best gap year options for me? Is it necessary that I do a graduate year in school to boost my GPA?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your main focus should be to increase your sGPA and cGPA as high as possible, preferably 2 years of consistent high grades. This may require you take additional classes after you graduate. You don't have to do this through a formal post bacc and a masters will not help increase your cumulative GPA. I would focus on this and then worry about the MCAT

I'm going to have to go against the poster above (Sorry brochacho!). Even with 2 years of straight A's I doubt you'll put too much of a dent into your sGPA. I'm not against taking extra classes since you can take the time to reflect upon why you did so poorly in undergrad and improve upon yourself. At this point, until you can consistently do well in your classes I would avoid taking the MCAT.

Once you are ready score high on the MCAT and you will probably end up doing a Special Master's Program so you can decisively prove you can academically handle medical school.

Again, fixing why you screwed up is the key here.

I graduated undergrad with a 2.95 cGPA and I eventually made it into a MD program...Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, listen to the poster above. My advice is more applicable if you're open to DO schools. If you're goal is MD, then an SMP may be required. A safer and cheaper route would be DO

Reactions: 1 user