Advice: Is research crucial for EM application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TooJiggly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year, and considering Emergency Medicine strongly? I have multiple presentations and publications in Urology. Wondering how crucial having an EM paper or project on my CV is, or can I rely on the strength of my Urology work. Advice is very welcome......

TooJiggly :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think research in any area is critical for your EM application. If you do have research experience, well, that is just another golden nugget on your CV and some programs stress it more than others. You should have at least thought about research, and what areas you may be interested in since an 'academic project' is an RRC requirement for EM programs, and that frequently takes the form of some sort of research project.

But when it comes to getting interviews and what not, don't think that a prolific research history will substitute for the holy triad of stong clerkship grades, board scores, and letters of recomendation.

Hope that helps.

Depends on the program. Some seem to really like research more than others. Three that I can think of that research would be helpful are Cinci, Denver and Harbor