Advice!! Low OATs, should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swyc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I just took the OAT's today, and I did horrible. I have a 3.41 GPA

QR 340
RC 330
Bio 270
Chem 350
Orgo 260
Physics 270

TS 280
AA 300

I decided very late in the game to apply to optometry school, and I wanted to try to apply for SCCO for Fall 2016. Today was the last day for me to take the OATs for this application process, and honestly, I was hoping that the scores would be high enough. But after seeing what my results were, I'm debating if I should even finish my optometry application. I know it wouldn't hurt to finish applying, but what do you think my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

If you reapply you would have to do an additional reapplication essay. In my honest opinion, the schools will be more selective with who they choose since the classes are getting full. Apply if you have outstanding extracurriculars. Your GPA is good, but schools like to see an oat of 300 or higher

At this point of the application cycle, I think you are better off foregoing this year and applying for next years cycle. Your GPA is right at the average for SCCO admittance but your OAT is below average. Typically, most students who get into SCCO have atleast a 300 in each section.

Don't be too discouraged, take the next year to add on more experiences (shadow, volunteer, intern, tutor, etc.) and study hard for the OAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and I forgot to mention some info about me. I double majored in Biology and Health Science (conc. Ophthalmic Technology), and I got my certification as a COMT a little under a year ago. I was working with both ophthalmologist and optometrist for almost 2 years when I moved to California. I was in a research apprenticeship during my senior year working with an ophthalmologist on triaging ocular trauma in emergent settings, but I wasn't in too many extracurriculars in college since my school load was a bit heavy. After debating over ophthalmology and optometry, I decided to to apply for optometry school. And that's where we are now!

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Honestly, I do want to try to apply, because waiting another year is daunting, but I wanted to see realistically how my odds were. I might regret not finishing my application, but the application fee is more than I'd like to spare. So I'm at a toss up right now..

I think you could call the schools directly to ask for their advice. Your extracurriculars are outstanding though

Reactions: 1 user