Advice needed for admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a few questions and needed advice from you.

I have finished my undergrad in Life Science from University of Toronto, with a low cGPA of 2.9. My most recent two years' GPA is 3.8. I just took the MCAT over the summer and got 33Q (Verbal 10, Physics 11, Bio 12). I am currently considering the big 4s in Caribbean for Fall 2011.

What do you guys think of my chances in Caribbean (especially for SGU)?
I know my GPA is very low, but is there any chance for me at all in the States?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
as long as your new cgpa is above 3.0 then i think you have a strong chance for gaining admission to sgu. your mcat score is also great making you a competitive applicant. i suggest you to apply soon as possible since aug entering class tend to be competitive.

as for US med schools, i think it will be difficult for you gaining admission to a MD school (since you're not a us citizen). but there might be a chance for you to be admitted to a DO school. i recommend you to apply DO (or MD) schools first.

Thanks for the reply.
Is there a strict GPA cut off for the Big 4s in Caribbean? I am just worried because my cGPA is below 3.0, and if there's a cut off they wouldn't even look at my recent GPA and MCAT.

as long as your new cgpa is above 3.0 then i think you have a strong chance for gaining admission to sgu. your mcat score is also great making you a competitive applicant. i suggest you to apply soon as possible since aug entering class tend to be competitive.

as for US med schools, i think it will be difficult for you gaining admission to a MD school (since you're not a us citizen). but there might be a chance for you to be admitted to a DO school. i recommend you to apply DO (or MD) schools first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I have a few questions and needed advice from you.

I have finished my undergrad in Life Science from University of Toronto, with a low cGPA of 2.9. My most recent two years' GPA is 3.8. I just took the MCAT over the summer and got 33Q (Verbal 10, Physics 11, Bio 12). I am currently considering the big 4s in Caribbean for Fall 2011.

What do you guys think of my chances in Caribbean (especially for SGU)?
I know my GPA is very low, but is there any chance for me at all in the States?

Thanks in advance!

Going caribbean (even SGU) with a 33Q MCAT would be doing gross injustice to your hardwork. Most definitely go DO before anything else. It's a no brainer. It does, however, depend on where you ultimately intend on practicing. Then, the part you need to consider is, if DO is recognized in Canada (specific to the part you want to return to).

And even though you aren't a US citizen, if a school has to take any international students at all, Canadians always get first pick.

Hi, thanks for all the replies.
I know that US schools are always preferred, but my low GPA from undergrad does not leave me with much choice, so I don't think DO or MD schools in US will take me other than Caribbean (hopefully!)

Thanks for the advice though!

Base on that, do you think admission with my stats is possible at SGU? I have volunteering experience in hospital and local community events with reference letters, and I have been a research assistant at hospital for 2 years.

Going caribbean (even SGU) with a 33Q MCAT would be doing gross injustice to your hardwork. Most definitely go DO before anything else. It's a no brainer. It does, however, depend on where you ultimately intend on practicing. Then, the part you need to consider is, if DO is recognized in Canada (specific to the part you want to return to).

And even though you aren't a US citizen, if a school has to take any international students at all, Canadians always get first pick.

Last edited:
no prob madster.

theres no cut off line for gpa but having a 3.0+ will be good. i don't think adcom will not look at your app. i think they will review it. i am not sure what your sgpa is but if it's above 3.0 the you should be fine. (and again if your new cgpa is above 3.0.)

if you still prefer going to carribean like sgu then i still hold what i said to you before. your stats are good for admission. apply as soon as possible if you want to start for aug 2011.

You have a really strong MCAT score that is more than enough for the big 4. I think you have a chance, but you wont know until you apply.

I know that US schools are always preferred, but my low GPA from undergrad does not leave me with much choice, so I don't think DO or MD schools in US will take me other than Caribbean

Unless this statement is backed up with some science, you are doing yourself a potential large injustice by discounting DO schools. Your GPA improvement and high MCAT may carry the day. Unless you can't do DO because of canadian requirements, you should apply to some DO schools and see what happens.

Unless this statement is backed up with some science, you are doing yourself a potential large injustice by discounting DO schools. Your GPA improvement and high MCAT may carry the day. Unless you can't do DO because of canadian requirements, you should apply to some DO schools and see what happens.

I agree. You should check in to whether Canada accepts the DO...definitely a lot of US allopathic residencies do, if you intend to practice in the US. However, you wouldn't want to box yourself in if Canadian residencies and provinces still don't accept the DO.

You could also throw out a few applications to US private schools that have lower GPA and MCAT averages. They may not look at you because of your GPA, but you might get lucky...probably you'll get rejected, but but I don't think it would be ridiculous to try given your massive upward trend in your GPA, and a 33 MCAT.

Thanks for the advices. I will check out DO further and take that into consideration.

for what it's worth I have a lower cGPA than you and a lower (albeit still strong) MCAT score. I have a similar upward trend but have a graduate degree on top of my undergrad (with a high cGPA in that).

When I contacted SGU and gave them an overall of my application they said I'd be a strong candidate and that they encouraged me to apply. I'm not sure if that is because the girl on the phone was not paying attention or if she genuinely believed that. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
I don't know if you were trying to come across as a prick or not...but you did.

I wasn't trying to imply that the OP has a shot or that I personally have a shot just because I spoke to someone. I was merely providing another perspective regarding the admissions process. The truth is, unless you're on an admissions committee no one holds any weight regarding their opinions on who will and will not get an offer.

dammit! I thought I had closed this account... rayjay1234 is the same as rayjay. sorry all.