Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMoe7

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I withdrew from a Caribbean school this past semester due to health reasons after being there for almost three years for basic sciences. The extra year was due to taking a leave of absence while sick. I want to apply to another school now. I would have to start over from day 1 at the new school. What are my chances of residency after graduating? Will residency programs care that I was at another school and left to begin another one? I have a strong work ethic and have done well. I was just unable to continue at the time but want get back into it asap.

Members don't see this ad.

I would try and get into school first. If attempting to attend another Caribbean school then you may be trouble in regards to matching but that’s a risk you would have to take. People have done it but the risk of not matching is really high. If you are able to get into a USMD/DO then you would be much better off. This also depends on the field of medicine you are attempting to enter. Obviously competitive specialities are unlikely where less competitive specialities in undesirable areas could be a maybe.

Coming from a "low quality/just barely acceptable" Caribbean med school that accepts so many transfers for many reasons (many with health related issues/"didnt finish basic science within 3 years") and fairly large match list (because we throw so much students at matching as possible but ~85% matched), transfer what you have as credit to another school and try to finish basic sciences. But your career is not really over until you fail an attempt at step 1 (red flag for residencies), and apply for primary care residency wide as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.