Advice needed on doing research in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
O wise SDNers,

So this summer I discovered how cool orthopedics is, and I've realized I wanna become a surgeon (although I'm not sure what kind yet). And I've gotten to know the ortho dept chair here at school, who's really nice to me. I could probably do some research in one of his studies and get published if I asked, but here's the problem:

1. He seems to ask a lot from the people who work for him (I shadowed him in clinic, and he kept cracking the whip on his poor fellow).
2. I'm not interested in being an academic.
3. I'm already committed to a few student groups this year.
4. I'm not quite committed to ortho just yet, and there's always the possibility I could decide I wanna do something else.

But I feel like I'd be stupid to turn down such an opportunity. What do you think?

thanks,
~sunflower

Members don't see this ad.

sunflower79 said:
O wise SDNers,

So this summer I discovered how cool orthopedics is, and I've realized I wanna become a surgeon (although I'm not sure what kind yet). And I've gotten to know the ortho dept chair here at school, who's really nice to me. I could probably do some research in one of his studies and get published if I asked, but here's the problem:

1. He seems to ask a lot from the people who work for him (I shadowed him in clinic, and he kept cracking the whip on his poor fellow).
2. I'm not interested in being an academic.
3. I'm already committed to a few student groups this year.
4. I'm not quite committed to ortho just yet, and there's always the possibility I could decide I wanna do something else.

But I feel like I'd be stupid to turn down such an opportunity. What do you think?

thanks,
~sunflower

I say take the opportunity. Research always shows that you are interested and helps in the residency application. Plus, the chair will get to know you even better which would really help in the form of a letter of rec if you do ortho. Even if you decide not to do ortho, it never hurts to be published and have something to talk about. And don't worry about not being interested in academics. A very small proportion of med students are, yet we all play this game to make ourselves better residency candidates.

Ha--I'm in the opposite position: doing ortho research and realizing it isn't my specialty. :laugh: Seriously, though, everyone tells me that research is KEY to matching into ortho. It doesn't have to be ortho research, but it certainly helps if it is. I would take the opportunity, as it won't hurt and will help you considerably. :)

For the love of God, if you want to do anything competitive, DO RESEARCH! Don't make the same mistake that I did.