Advice needed on NBME13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shah101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'd appreciate any realistic advice I can get. I am a dual UK-US national and am currently a final year medical student in the UK. I recently did an NBME13 to establish a baseline that I can work with prior to taking my step 1 in July or August this year (I have 5 months in total with approximately 2 months of dedicated preparation) although I am very disappointed at a score of 130 on this, I realise I haven't started revision yet (many of the biochemistry topics etc. I haven't visited in a few years).

Therefore I wanted to ask is 5 months adequate, of which 3 months is solid prep? Or should I postpone the exam whilst I am ahead?

Any advice would be appreciated (my goal score would be about a 230 for internal medicine)

Thanks, Jay

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Jay,

Better advice could be given if you provide the forum with your goal score range. For example, I would say that achieving a passing score (194) is definitely possible but a 250+ is unlikely based on your baseline & timetable.

NBME 13 --> Mostly recalling random facts

Real deal --> Nothing like NBME 13 lol

I took it 6 days ago

......But it's a good/reasonable test to assess your baseline knowledge.