Advice needed on where to go after dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NVdalgal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I desperately need some help, advice, insights, or guidance offered in any form. First, let me explain a little about my situation. I am a 3rd year veterinary student that recently finished my Fall semester. I received a failing grade in Small Animal Medicine and will not be allowed to continue with my current class. Unfortunately, this is not my first time failing a course. I originally began with the Class of 2016 but after a rough adjustment to my new area and personal matters in play I did not pass the first semester. I was offered the opportunity to rejoin with the Class of 2017. I have passed all courses up until Small Animal Medicine in the third year. I was dismissed from my program and allowed to appeal to a committee of faculty. They had access to my course records and past academic history. In the meeting they had several "things for me to think about". I will start by saying that I have never been the best student. I have terrible test anxiety and passing exams has always been a struggle for me. The committee proposed for me to consider if my talents would be better appreciated elsewhere in a place/job/position where I could exceed. I interpreted the message as them saying "we aren't sure you are cut out for this." I have been working toward my goal of becoming a veterinarian since I was 17 (I am now 28). I have already put in 4 years of schooling and now have around $150,000 of student debt. I will most likely have the option of beginning again with another class (2018), but I don't know if that is the right choice for me at this point. It would mean pouring more money, an additional 3 years of time, and the possibility of not "exceeding" and again ending up in the position I have been twice before. I don't see myself being a clinical veterinarian for my entire career. I have always wanted to get involved with Public Health and State/Government work (especially Wildlife conservation and management). I guess what I am asking from you, whoever might be reading this, are for your thoughts on where to go next. Do I rejoin with the class of 2018? Can my veterinary school credits be transferred toward a masters or Ph.D? Do I pursue a job with my Animal Science degree? What options do I have right now?

Sincerely,
Standing at a crossroad

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately I don't think that your veterinary courses are going to count for much as far as other advanced training goes - masters or PhD courses are kind of a whole other kettle of fish. I'm sorry that you are in this position. I'm not sure that more schooling is for you - have you done research before? Maybe you could start in a lab of some sort to see if that environment is better for you than the classroom one. I certainly can empathize - I am also not a classroom person.
On the other hand, you're almost out of the classroom portion of vet school. If you think you could pass SA medicine on the second go-around you could certainly stick it out and just try to get by until clinical year starts. But if you don't think you'll do well in that environment either you may have some soul-searching to do.

Reactions: 1 user
I have not been in your situation, but I think if it was only 1 class that held you up this time, then you have a decent chance of passing it the second time around with additional resources in terms of learning. Perhaps seeking an evaluation with an education counselor to see if you could have accommodations to deal with your text anxiety and maybe getting extended time. I'm not sure about the specifics of such, but I'm sure the school administration could point you in the right direction. However, if it's more than one class or if you're not sure if the additional year of debt would be worth the trouble, and if the stress is making your life worse, then I don't think there's anything wrong with changing your mind about your career path. You should not feel bad about taking care of yourself and recognizing where your interests lie and what's a good fit for your skill set as they are different for every person. Good luck.