Academic dismissal & what to do now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was academically dismissed from St. George’s University School of Veterinary Medicine after Term 4, following a term in which I failed three courses during an acute and well-documented mental health crisis (after receiving final exams, they sent a dismissal letter with the option to withdraw or appeal - my appeal was denied but I was still allowed to withdraw. so from my understanding, my transcript will still show 3 Ds and a W for my 4th term. I however do not know now if it specifies whether I withdrew at midterms or finals, I just read the key and it only specifies if a withdrawal was before or after I was passing). This was my first term with more than one course failure. One of the failed courses was by only two points, and another was affected by significant testing anxiety (documented with the school and approved for accommodations), as the final exam was the sole graded assessment in that course.

These failures occurred during a period of significant curriculum disorganization, inconsistent instruction, and SGU’s internal transition from a discipline-based curriculum to a systems-based model; a transition that uniquely impacted my cohort. I submitted medical documentation, proof of accommodations, and a detailed recovery plan, but my appeal was denied. Because my class was the final cohort taught under the discipline-based curriculum, SGU created a “parallel curriculum” specifically to allow students of my cohort to retake courses; however, despite this option being repeatedly promoted to us, I was ultimately not offered that fallback pathway.

While the dismissal itself was difficult, what has been more challenging is its impact on my future. Due to SGU’s curriculum transition and the fact that most U.S. veterinary schools now operate under a systems-based model, my transfer options are extremely limited, despite having completed two full academic years. In most cases, even transferring into a lower term appears unlikely, meaning I would need to reapply and potentially start over entirely.

At this point, my most realistic path forward is to complete a one-year master’s program to strengthen my academic record and then reapply to veterinary school. However, I have also learned that under recent federal loan policy changes (the new Better FAFSA/BBB borrower rules), reapplying as a “new borrower” may significantly limit my access to Graduate PLUS loans for living expenses, making a second DVM attempt financially challenging.

I am trying to move forward and pursue this career responsibly, but the circumstances of my dismissal have left me with fewer pathways, fewer resources, and greater financial risk, all stemming from a one-time crisis within an unstable academic environment. Unfortunately, the school has provided little to no guidance or support regarding next steps.

For background, I hold a bachelor’s degree in Genetics and Cell Biology from Washington State University, completed in 2023 with approximately a 3.4 GPA. I was accepted into SGU’s discipline-based DVM program for the January 2024 matriculating class.

I am seeking advice from anyone who has navigated a similar situation or has insight into:
  • What a competitive reapplication to veterinary school might look like in my case
  • ⁠Whether working with a veterinary admissions advisor would be beneficial
  • ⁠One-year or accelerated master’s programs (particularly online) that could strengthen my application
  • ⁠Financial planning strategies under the new BBB/FAFSA loan rules
  • Career paths pursued by those who ultimately did not reapply to veterinary school
I am currently considering an MPH or an MS in a genetics-related field. I remain strongly committed to working with animals but am also open to One Health, public health, or forensic pathways (where my genetics background would be particularly relevant). During veterinary school, I was large-animal focused, with a strong interest in production animal medicine, ethical and humane treatment of animals in industrial systems (including slaughterhouses and potentially the livestock show industry), and infectious diseases, especially zoonoses within production systems.

Long-term, I have also been interested in pursuing a more genetics-focused path, including ethical dog breeding and cattle genetics. I am particularly motivated to use genetics to promote regulated, humane breeding practices and have a strong interest in research addressing the health consequences of designer breed phenotypes.

Any insight, resources, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.
 
  • What a competitive reapplication to veterinary school might look like in my case
  • ⁠Whether working with a veterinary admissions advisor would be beneficial
  • ⁠One-year or accelerated master’s programs (particularly online) that could strengthen my application
  • ⁠Financial planning strategies under the new BBB/FAFSA loan rules
  • Career paths pursued by those who ultimately did not reapply to veterinary school
Sorry you are in such a difficult position. I don't have personal experience here, but will jump in. I'll also tag @battie for some better perspective.

I know this isn't the point of your post, but I do suggest taking some time to grieve this huge event in your life and heal a bit before re-pursuing the field (and deciding that you still want to, I guess). I'm not trying to fully get into the insinuation that the school is responsible for you being dismissed, but you said "This was my first term with more than one course failure." so does that mean you were already on academic probation when the additional failed courses happened? Why was your appeal denied, and why were you specifically not allowed to repeat courses despite originally being told that you had this option? Up to you if you want to provide more info, but just some things that I'd want to know if I was a vet school looking at your app. I imagine other schools will really scrutinize your application, possibly speak with SGU, and possibly speak with you. Word and phrasing choice on how you discuss this with schools could be make or break. Again not the point, I know, but worth keeping in mind.
  • To get into vet school these days, you're going to need better academic stats. That's before acknowledging the hesitation many adcoms might have when they see you've already been academically dismissed once. A 3.4 is not considered very competitive, but we don't know what the rest of your app looks like.
  • I do not believe a paid veterinary admissions advisor is helpful to anyone. These are people just like me that have worked on adcoms in some way shape or form (some merely just helping with interviews, some maybe in a bigger role) that are now offering to read your PS/app and just tell you what they think you should do for the low low price of $____. I do not think that is worth it. I do think you should reach out to schools you might be interested in and schedule actual appointments with their admissions department to discuss this situation (but again, this might be best done after you've healed a bit).
  • We have discussed Master's degrees at great lengths on SDN. The quick and dirty is that a master's is usually not any better than just repeating high level science courses in the context of applicant competitiveness, and it is often more expensive. In your case, however, it could make sense to get a degree in a field you'd be happy to have a career in (that isn't being a vet). It sounds like you already have some ideas for that. But you'll have to be okay with the fact that doing a master's program might not/probably won't make you a more competitive re-applicant. So again, you might consider taking some time to decide what you really want - do you want to be a vet, or do you want to move on and get yourself onto a different path?
    • Side tangent here, but if you graduated in 2023, that means some of your prereqs could be as old as 2019. Which means you are 3 years out from those courses expiring at the schools that have a 10-year rule in place. You'd either have to repeat them, or see if the school allows you to petition for them to be accepted. I believe at least once school has a 6-year expiration on prereqs, or did at one point. That's something to think about and incorporate into your decision making and approach going forward.
  • Yeah so the financial thing....that might be your biggest factor. or should be. Basically you are going to be facing a $200k cap on federal loans. That would include any loans taken out for an additional degree. If you have an IS school, that would be your safest bet but then also really limits your chances at getting readmitted. Otherwise, you're going to have to be prepared to take out private loans to cover any private/OOS tuition past 200k and be without flexible repayment options, which might push you away from where you hoped to end up in your career (production medicine isn't lucrative).
  • I do not personally know anyone who has been academically dismissed from veterinary school who did not successfully appeal (I know quite a few who successfully appealed and repeated a year).I do know three individuals who were dismissed based on conduct though. All three eventually got readmitted to different vet schools and are now DVMs. It took each person several/many years in between dismissal and readmission to get admitted, I don't know what their full apps looked like however. They worked as techs at a hospital I was employed at. I am bringing these people up to say that I think readmission is possible, but you will need better stats to not only be as competitive as the current applicant pool is, but also to demonstrate that you can handle the rigor. If people can can dismissed from one school over their behavior/actions and readmitted at another, well, anything is possible then in my eyes. It is also very possible that many schools will simply not consider you though.
  • If you're into repro/genetics, a PhD could be a consideration. The financial implications of that should be heavily researched.

Finally, some relevant past threads you might want to read through:
Failed out of vet school... what do I do now?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was academically dismissed from St. George’s University School of Veterinary Medicine after Term 4, following a term in which I failed three courses during an acute and well-documented mental health crisis (after receiving final exams, they sent a dismissal letter with the option to withdraw or appeal - my appeal was denied but I was still allowed to withdraw. so from my understanding, my transcript will still show 3 Ds and a W for my 4th term. I however do not know now if it specifies whether I withdrew at midterms or finals, I just read the key and it only specifies if a withdrawal was before or after I was passing). This was my first term with more than one course failure. One of the failed courses was by only two points, and another was affected by significant testing anxiety (documented with the school and approved for accommodations), as the final exam was the sole graded assessment in that course.

These failures occurred during a period of significant curriculum disorganization, inconsistent instruction, and SGU’s internal transition from a discipline-based curriculum to a systems-based model; a transition that uniquely impacted my cohort. I submitted medical documentation, proof of accommodations, and a detailed recovery plan, but my appeal was denied. Because my class was the final cohort taught under the discipline-based curriculum, SGU created a “parallel curriculum” specifically to allow students of my cohort to retake courses; however, despite this option being repeatedly promoted to us, I was ultimately not offered that fallback pathway.

While the dismissal itself was difficult, what has been more challenging is its impact on my future. Due to SGU’s curriculum transition and the fact that most U.S. veterinary schools now operate under a systems-based model, my transfer options are extremely limited, despite having completed two full academic years. In most cases, even transferring into a lower term appears unlikely, meaning I would need to reapply and potentially start over entirely.

At this point, my most realistic path forward is to complete a one-year master’s program to strengthen my academic record and then reapply to veterinary school. However, I have also learned that under recent federal loan policy changes (the new Better FAFSA/BBB borrower rules), reapplying as a “new borrower” may significantly limit my access to Graduate PLUS loans for living expenses, making a second DVM attempt financially challenging.

I am trying to move forward and pursue this career responsibly, but the circumstances of my dismissal have left me with fewer pathways, fewer resources, and greater financial risk, all stemming from a one-time crisis within an unstable academic environment. Unfortunately, the school has provided little to no guidance or support regarding next steps.

For background, I hold a bachelor’s degree in Genetics and Cell Biology from Washington State University, completed in 2023 with approximately a 3.4 GPA. I was accepted into SGU’s discipline-based DVM program for the January 2024 matriculating class.

I am seeking advice from anyone who has navigated a similar situation or has insight into:
  • What a competitive reapplication to veterinary school might look like in my case
  • ⁠Whether working with a veterinary admissions advisor would be beneficial
  • ⁠One-year or accelerated master’s programs (particularly online) that could strengthen my application
  • ⁠Financial planning strategies under the new BBB/FAFSA loan rules
  • Career paths pursued by those who ultimately did not reapply to veterinary school
I am currently considering an MPH or an MS in a genetics-related field. I remain strongly committed to working with animals but am also open to One Health, public health, or forensic pathways (where my genetics background would be particularly relevant). During veterinary school, I was large-animal focused, with a strong interest in production animal medicine, ethical and humane treatment of animals in industrial systems (including slaughterhouses and potentially the livestock show industry), and infectious diseases, especially zoonoses within production systems.

Long-term, I have also been interested in pursuing a more genetics-focused path, including ethical dog breeding and cattle genetics. I am particularly motivated to use genetics to promote regulated, humane breeding practices and have a strong interest in research addressing the health consequences of designer breed phenotypes.

Any insight, resources, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I sit on an admissions committee for a CVM. The applications we receive are very competitive.

Bluntly, your application would not be considered.

As a transfer student, our school requires students to be in good academic standing prior to transfer. The compatibility of different curricula determines whether a student will transfer into the same year they are currently in, or if they will drop down a year. Students will only be accepted for transfer into the 1st or 2nd year classes, and only if there is an open seat in the class.

If I see that a student has already been admitted to, and failed out of, another DVM program, this is a major red flag. If there was a documented mental health crisis, I would ask why this student did not seek academic help or with draw from the semester before failing? If there is a history of academic failure before this particular semester, what steps were taken to improve performance? Every program has curricular changes and all have very high academic demands. The impression you are giving is that the school is to blame for your failure.

A master's degree would do little in terms of readmission. Even the most rigorous master's programs are not going to have the same demands as a professional program. An online program especially.

If you are determined to continue with a DVM program, your best bet is probably to try and continue your appeal at SGU. I'm sorry for your circumstances, but this is the honest opinion of someone who would potentially read your reapplication.
 
I am really sorry you’re facing this. I totally understand that you still have the desire to be a vet, but I really worry about the financial realities that you would be facing if you did get readmitted, especially with the BBB loan changes and loan caps. My understanding is that any new programs you embark on will be under these new caps. Presumably you have already taken loans for 2/3 of the Ross costs (though I realize not everyone takes loans so maybe you haven’t), but I worry how you could possibly manage loan payments on what would presumably be 500-600k in total loans in the end if you’re adding 2 years at Ross to a program that will likely cost an additional 350k+. Monthly income based payments wouldn’t necessarily increase whether your federal load is 200 vs 400 but you’d need to be saving more for the taxes on forgiveness AND with the new loan limits you’ll also likely need private loans for another 100-200k if you can even get them to give you them with that much preexisting debt. I would make talking to a loan professional your first stop because I know I couldn’t swing it. That really really sucks, but short of being independently wealthy with money to burn, I just don’t see how it’s feasible. I’d at minimum wait a couple years and make sure the desire is still there, hope a new administration changes the loan rules yet again, or at least we’ll have some more info about what private loan servicers are willing to lend, who they’ll approve, and what those interest rates will look like. Now that is just a big unknown.
 
Any insight, resources, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Story time: I was academically dismissed due to grades from the class of 2020 (69.5% needing a 70%) and very nearly dismissed from the class of 2021 (my sister died two weeks into the school year and I decided that I didn't want to do a LOA when I got back at the beginning of October after taking care of her affairs).

I absolutely failed out the first time due to my own problems as far as commitment to the material and getting involved with unnecessary drama. My original class was very dramatic tbh and I fed into it inappropriately. On top of that, my class was way over-accepted and that was a struggle on the part of the school.

My near miss during my second year (not first year 2.0 but actual second year) was absolutely due to my first quarter when my sister died. I went through severe depression to the point I don't remember Sept through Jan of 2018 through 2019. I see pictures from that time and have no memory of it; complete blackout. I did improve in second and fourth quarter (clinics third quarter not for grades), but almost not enough.

So my thoughts:

1. If I had failed out the second time, I was going to be offered a position in class of 2022. I told the dean if I needed to repeat the year, I wasn't coming back. I would figure something else out. It sounds like you are in a part-way similar position where you've previously failed courses, remediated, and continued. If that is the case, that puts you on shaky ground on a true full repeat at a separate school. You've had multiple repeats/remediations which reflects poorly.

2. That's a ton of debt. Way too much debt. This profession is not worth 300k on a purely ROI basis. Taking all emotion out of it and just the practical finances, having what amounts to 6 years of vet school debt is simply not okay. The new debt rules are vastly against you in that you could potentially even start school at a new CVM and potentially end up being unable to secure loans for 4th or even 3rd year as a private loan servicer may look at your debt to income ratio and consider you too much of a risk to take on.

3. My alternative plan if I had been dismissed was to go into higher education and student life. I had been a resident director during a gap year and loved it. You have a viable back up plan tbh. Genetics is a big field right now, though more in human med than vet med. But we're on the cusp of making fatal diseases treatable and even potential cures on the horizon for previously terminal diseases. All of this is tested in animal models initially, so that's an off ramp for you with stability.

4. The reality of your application will be difficult to get over and if you're going to try, you need time between your dismissal and your reapplication. I agree with Jayna that you should wait 3-5 years before trying again. That gives the loan situation some time to stabilize and you the opportunity to see the potential benefits of not being a vet.

5. However, I also agree with Ham. You'd be a non-starter at a lot of places with how many perfect applicants there are these days (for now; I expect app numbers to tank when the loan situation becomes more clear).