advice needed PA/NP, but with a twist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rnnpmaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I actually need some sound advice here. I'm not trying to stir up more debate. I'm currently in a part time DNP program that takes 6 years. It's a psych NP program. I cannot see myself doing anything but psych! My program is largely clinicallly based, which is why I chose it. (I posted my curriculum below). There really isn't alot of fluff. When I chose DNP (vs. MSN) it was because I thought it was where the profession was going. I liked the clinical focus of my program, and never expected to be considered on-par with physicians. Respected, yes. I am intelligent, but I will not have the training of an MD. I didn't realize there were online programs for DNP, and quite frankly, that's embarassing to me, and has caused me to reconsider my program choice (and thus switch to a PA program). I like that the PA program is modeled after the medical model. However, it seems like there isn't much of a demand for PAs in pysch, whereas NPs (or DNPs) are highly in demand for psych. So therein lies my dilemma. Should I stick with the DNP even though I disagree with Mundinger? I suppose I could try to stop her for the sake of my profession. Do you think that the demand for psych PAs will increase?

Here is my program, for comparison/consideration

The curriculum for the PMHNP Track includes a total of 85 credits and 1,200 clinical hours. The program can be completed either full-time (three years, eight semesters) accelerated part-time (four years, 12 semesters) or part-time (six years, 16 semesters) as follows. The program begins once a year in the fall semester.
Full-Time Option

Year 1
Fall (11 credits)
HSIC8010 Clinical Teams and Teamwork I (2 credits)
NURS8010 Advanced Pathophysiology (3 credits)
NURS8020 Research and Theory (3 credits)
STAT8010 Statistics for Health Sciences (3 credits)
Spring (11 credits)
NURS8030 Principles of Epidemiology (2 credits)
NURS8110 Advanced Pharmacology (3 credits)
NURS8120 Health Promotion/Clinical Prevention (3 credits)
Elective (3 credits)
Summer (11 credits, 60 clinical hours)
NURS8130 Advanced Physical Assessment/Diagnosis (4 credits, 60 clinical hours)
NURS8140 Evidence-Based Practice for Advanced Nursing Roles (3 credits)
NURS8150 Integrating Research and Practice (2 credits)
NURS9010 Principles of Biological Psychiatry (2 credits)
Year 2
Fall (11 credits, 168 clinical hours)
HSIC8210 Health Law and Ethics (2 credits)
NURS9110 Psychopharmacology (3 credits)
NURS9210 Psychiatric Diagnosis (3 credits)
NURS9215 Psychiatric Diagnosis Practicum (3 credits, 168 clinical hours)
Spring (10 credits, 168 clinical hours)
HSIC8020 Health Policy (2 credits)
NURS8230 Clinical Genetics (2 credits)
NURS9310 Diagnosis and Management of Psychiatric Disorders I (3 credits)
NURS9315 Diagnosis and Management of Psychiatric Disorders I Practicum (3 credits, 168 clinical hours)
Summer (10 credits, 280 clinical hours)
NURS9320 Diagnosis and Management of Psychiatric Disorders II (3 credits)
NURS9325 Diagnosis and Management of Psychiatric Disorders II Practicum (3 credits, 168 clinical hours)
NURS9330 Individual Therapy (2 credits)
NURS9335 Individual Therapy Practicum (2 credits, 112 clinical hours)
Year 3
Fall (10 credits, 224 clinical hours)
HSIC8030 Heath Care Economics (2 credits)
NURS9410 Psychiatric considerations in the Geriatric Population (2 credits)
NURS9415 Psychiatric considerations in the Geriatric Population Practicum (2 credits, 112 clinical hours)
NURS9510 Family Therapy (2 credits)
NURS9515 Family Therapy Practicum (2 credits, 112 clinical hours)
Spring (11 credits, 300 clinical hours)
NURS9130 Evidence-Based Practice and Information Systems (3 credits)
NURS9610 Practice Management Issues/Role Integration (3 credits)
NURS9620 Applying Evidence-Based Practice in Health Care Settings (5 credits, 300 clinical hours)

Members don't see this ad.

a typical pa program has an avg of 2200 hrs of clinicals at any level from certificate to masters.
there are required psych rotations and optional post grad psych residencies(see www.appap.org).
many psych pa's work for the va system or other federal employers(indian health, etc).
there is a psych pa society:
http://www.psychpa.com/
good luck whatever you decide.

I didn't realize there were online programs for DNP, and quite frankly, that's embarassing to me, and has caused me to reconsider my program choice (and thus switch to a PA program).
:thumbup: I think this is going to cause competancy problems for DNPs in the long run. (Whether real or imagined) Glad to hear DNPs don't like it either.

I like that the PA program is modeled after the medical model. However, it seems like there isn't much of a demand for PAs in pysch, whereas NPs (or DNPs) are highly in demand for psych. So therein lies my dilemma. Should I stick with the DNP even though I disagree with Mundinger? I suppose I could try to stop her for the sake of my profession.

The question of sticking with the program is a personal one that I'd think hard about. How long have you been in the program? If you're on year 4 of 6 then I'd just stick it out. If you're on semester 1 then I could see switcing. Either way I'd advise speaking up about your views regarding Mundinger. (I'm not an NP, but this issue effects me as well so I plan on staying involved in the debate.)

Do you think that the demand for psych PAs will increase?

I can't say specifically about the field of psych PAs increasing, but all medical specialties are increasing in demand so probably to some extent. Additionally, I definitely think that if its what you really want you should be able to find a doc to work with that will allow you to fulfill your dream.

Final thought: I see no reason why you couldn't be successful in psych with either degree. It's more about how you use what you get.