This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonzelda123

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am in need of some advice. In the past year, my financial situation has DRASTICALLY changed... to the point where I need to rethink going to dental school. My family is in poverty and I think that going to school for an additional four years for around 400-500K of debt (my in-state school rejected me) doesn't sound great considering the circumstances. I have a 25 AA and 3.73 GPA with several interviews... I don't want to do the military programs because I don't think I'm well-suited for the military. I am considering switching career paths (getting a masters in something) but I am completely lost. Part of me wants to make money as soon as possible with little debt to help my family (parents and a brother), but part of me doesn't want to give up on my dream of becoming a dentist. My family says that they are okay with me going to dental school, but I know that it will be hard on them.

Are there any dental school applicants in a similar situation? Should I go to my interviews in hopes of receiving large scholarships? Should I pursue a masters to get out of school sooner with less debt? What would you do if you were in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I am in need of some advice. In the past year, my financial situation has DRASTICALLY changed... to the point where I need to rethink going to dental school. My family is in poverty and I think that going to school for an additional four years for around 400-500K of debt (my in-state school rejected me) doesn't sound great considering the circumstances. I have a 25 AA and 3.73 GPA with several interviews... I don't want to do the military programs because I don't think I'm well-suited for the military. I am considering switching career paths (getting a masters in something) but I am completely lost. Part of me wants to make money as soon as possible with little debt to help my family (parents and a brother), but part of me doesn't want to give up on my dream of becoming a dentist. My family says that they are okay with me going to dental school, but I know that it will be hard on them.

Are there any dental school applicants in a similar situation? Should I go to my interviews in hopes of receiving large scholarships? Should I pursue a masters to get out of school sooner with less debt? What would you do if you were in my situation?
My personal thoughts are... you got great stats, great chance (multiple interviews). It may delay 2 additional years (compared to some other Masters) our dentist income will be DRASTICALLY different than any of those masters. It will be hard decison but in the long run you can serve/help better when you are dentist. Just my thoughts. Wish you the best.....

Reactions: 1 user

I was at an interview last week and they were explaining to us different scholarship opportunities. There was one scholarship that I can’t remember the name of that you apply for and they pay for your 4 years of dental school, and you repay them by working 4 years in an underserved area. It’s a win win situation imo. Your school is paid for, you help the underserved, and you also gain a decent salary while treating them. I would definitely ask the admissions committee about that scholarship when you go for your interview. I am considering it myself. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at an interview last week and they were explaining to us different scholarship opportunities. There was one scholarship that I can’t remember the name of that you apply for and they pay for your 4 years of dental school, and you repay them by working 4 years in an underserved area. It’s a win win situation imo. Your school is paid for, you help the underserved, and you also gain a decent salary while treating them. I would definitely ask the admissions committee about that scholarship when you go for your interview. I am considering it myself. Good luck!
I was considering that scholarship as well! It's the NHSC Scholarship I believe. I read the the scholarship is crazy competitive, like 100-150 get it out of 1500 applicants (somewhere around there). I was reading the thread about it on SDN and it seems like the selection is somewhat random, as in some people who were disadvantaged didn't get it, while other people who weren't disadvantaged got it. So, I'm trying to make the decision assuming that I wouldn't get the scholarship. Unfortunately, you don't find out if you get the scholarship until September, after dental school starts... But that scholarship sounds perfect otherwise, I would love to serve in underserved communities.

My personal thoughts are... you got great stats, great chance (multiple interviews). It may delay 2 additional years (compared to some other Masters) our dentist income will be DRASTICALLY different than any of those masters. It will be hard decison but in the long run you can serve/help better when you are dentist. Just my thoughts. Wish you the best.....
The high salary is definitely a plus, but I am also concerned about the debt because I have so many other financial responsibilities. The thought of having that debt on top of all my other finances is already scaring me. I almost wish that I could get a masters now and go to dental school when I'm older and in a better financial position, but by then who knows how much dental school will cost.

What in-state rejected you with a 25 & a 3.73? Do you have any red flags on your application?
Usually in-state public schools are your best shot financially, but if they already rejected you, that's concerning ?
---> The only one I can think of that has been acting crazy is UCSF- but if it is UCSF, then you still have UCLA as long as you applied early enough.

Go to a school that gives you instate after 1 year. It’s what? October? Add more schools to your application.

What in-state rejected you with a 25 & a 3.73? Do you have any red flags on your application?
Usually in-state public schools are your best shot financially, but if they already rejected you, that's concerning ?
---> The only one I can think of that has been acting crazy is UCSF- but if it is UCSF, then you still have UCLA as long as you applied early enough.
University of Michigan. The reason being that I wouldn't have my bachelors completed by matriculation, and they are research-oriented and I don't have research. At least, that's why I think I didn't get an interview. That brings me to another possible option: I could apply next year with research and a bachelors degree, but then I am spending another year in school.

University of Michigan. The reason being that I wouldn't have my bachelors completed by matriculation, and they are research-oriented and I don't have research. At least, that's why I think I didn't get an interview. That brings me to another possible option: I could apply next year with research and a bachelors degree, but then I am spending another year in school.
Did you apply marquette? The OOS tuition isn't bad. Compared to others. Also fairly large seats for OOS.

I second idea of applying some schools that give to in state after 1 yr.

You will owe more, but will oay back sooner. You don't have to pay back in full for first few tears if you can't with other responsibilities, you just pay more interests at the end though.

At least, that's why I think I didn't get an interview.
Were you straight up rejected though? If not, you still have a chance. I agree with @Likkriue in that you should add schools that give you instate after a year asap. You'd probably get into UCSF/UCLA with your stats but it's getting late so you'd have to do it asap to have a shot.

I was considering that scholarship as well! It's the NHSC Scholarship I believe. I read the the scholarship is crazy competitive, like 100-150 get it out of 1500 applicants (somewhere around there). I was reading the thread about it on SDN and it seems like the selection is somewhat random, as in some people who were disadvantaged didn't get it, while other people who weren't disadvantaged got it. So, I'm trying to make the decision assuming that I wouldn't get the scholarship. Unfortunately, you don't find out if you get the scholarship until September, after dental school starts... But that scholarship sounds perfect otherwise, I would love to serve in underserved communities.

That’s true. My personal opinion is that I wouldn’t give up dentistry just because of the amount debt. You will always end up paying it back. The school I interviewed at last week stated that their preferred loan repayment method was $4,600 in 120 payments (10 year plan). This was for OOS tuition I believe which was $358k not including interest. With a good salary, that’s easily attainable in my opinion. You could always dump a bulk of you income into your loans and have them paid off much faster. I saw a post last year I believe from a dentist that lived somewhat cheap in the beginning, worked at a corporate office, dumped most of his salary into his loans and had them paid off in <5 years, and then went about doing his own thing. He was single btw. If you are single then that route shouldn’t be a problem (depending on where you live for cost of living, bills, etc.).

If your family NEEDS your labor now, then what can you do. If they can hold up for a bit, you should go to dental school. If helping them out financially is your main concern, becoming a dentist is one of the best things you can do. Take their support of you as motivation during dental school. Keep debt as low as possible, but the capital you will have later on will make you more money.

Consider airforce for military scholarships they have 2 year scholarships. I think you should go to dental school b/c its your dream. You will be able to help your family and the difference between helping them 1-2 yrs from now (Masters) vs 4 years from now (dental) is not worth giving up on your dream. If you were simply going to dentistry for lifestyle then money its a different story. If it's your dream that's worth more than immediately being able to help.

Last edited:
At UofM it behooves you to apply early (I believe moreso than other schhools) and yes, research is great.

With a 3.7 you could always go to medical school and make more money while taking on significantly less debt.

Also the student saying that $4600 per month after taxes ($5311 per month before taxes assuming you have no state income tax and no unusual exemptions) will be "easily attainable" is extremely optimistic. That's more than $63,000 per year for servicing student loans alone.

That being said, Id make sure you have a very good idea of what employment you will be able to attain with a masters. Don't just drop a sure fire acceptance without a plan.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
100-150 out of 1500 are 2x as high odds as getting into a given dental school.

At UofM it behooves you to apply early (I believe moreso than other schhools) and yes, research is great.

With a 3.7 you could always go to medical school and make more money while taking on significantly less debt.

Also the student saying that $4600 per month after taxes ($5311 per month before taxes assuming you have no state income tax and no unusual exemptions) will be "easily attainable" is extremely optimistic. That's more than $63,000 per year for servicing student loans alone.

That being said, Id make sure you have a very good idea of what employment you will be able to attain with a masters. Don't just drop a sure fire acceptance without a plan.

Good luck.

I very much agree with this person. $5000+ a month for debt is a huge amount of money for a new dentist, and that was using $350K as the initial principle balance. You're talking 400-500k. Most new dentists are making in the $120k range. Average dentist salary is like $175k. Please talk to some younger dentists who are 1-5 years out of school to get a picture of what it's actually like. I've been out 7 years, still paying 3k a month, and thank god I don't owe more than I do. When you realize how dentistry is changing, how hard it is to find really good jobs without ownership, you might rethink this. Really take a hard look at what your budget would be like, including all the expenses you're currently paying just to exist, plus your loans, malpractice, disability insurance, health insurance, etc. I would never go to dental school, knowing what I do now, and pay 400+ for it. If it was dream of yours, I'd say find a way to make sure your loans are paid through some sort of scholarship program. I didn't think I was cut out for the military but then there were some people in my class that did that and we never even knew they were military until a few years in. And they've all had pretty awesome experiences. So basically my point is, do not assume you'll get this 'great salary'. Dentistry isn't what it used to be, times are harder, and this is a hard job. If I could do it again I'd say screw dentistry and do something like be a CRNA- requires a master degree and some nursing experience, but jobs will pay up to like 180k. Just my 2 cents..

They give first priority to those with 1. Exceptional financial need (sounds like you could get that, I did and I'm not an extreme case) 2. Likelyhood to stay working in an underserved area after your 4 year service req. (So in your essays, reassure them this is something your passionate about, and pull some volunteering examples) and LASTLY is disadvantaged background.

Don't cut out this as an option! And even if you don't get it the first year you can apply the following year for a 3 year scholarship or a 2 year, etc.