1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed! Set w/ SMU, Just Accepted to SGU today!

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Oluchi, May 4, 2007.

1. Oluchi

Oluchi Desperate Atlanta PreMed
    5+ Year Member

So, I was all set w/ SMU..paid for housing, gotten my loan...I was good....then I got a call from SGU accepting me to their Global Scholars Program! I'm excited!!!!.....what to do, what to do?
    Any advice? I'd appreciate it!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    GO TO SGU!

There is no thinking otherwise because SMU is less favoured in every aspect except island life and that only lasts 20 months anyway so it is a non-issue.

4. Oluchi

5+ Year Member

:) Thanks McGill...anyone else?

5. billydoc

billydoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

SGU hands down. No offence meant to SMU at all. The only thing is SMU is 16 months on the island, and SGU, I believe, 24 months in Grenada, and some time on St. Vincent. But I don't really even see any subject for the debate here. SGU is a top carib school in every regard, the "gold standard", if you will, and is very well regarded in U.S. SMU is definitely making huge strides forward. But there is simply no comparison at this time between those two. But it's your life. You decide.
    Good Luck :luck:

6. cee

cee
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    i'm accepted to SMU and i'd go to SGU-- a big reason is that they are accepted for the U.S. gov't loans (as are the other big 4).

is the global scholars program any easier to get into? just curious.

7. djsmooth

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I graduated from SMU and would recommend SGU simply for the fact is that they are the best of the caribbean. Again, nothing against my alma mater, but had SGU been my option, I would have done it. Don't let SMU talk you out of it if you make the switch. Good Luck.

8. Oluchi

5+ Year Member

thanks all 4 the advice!

cee: they said both programs were competitive in nature. Global Scholars has a smaller class though..

9. GujuMD

GujuMD 1K member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what are the other four?

10. Top Gun

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should know that SMU is currently disapproved by the California medical board. So, if you want the option of practicing in California, you should probably go to SGU. If you don't care about going to California, then I guess it doesn't matter so much. However, SGU has a strong reputation in terms of education and matching for residency. Of course, being an SGU grad myself, I'm biased. But I think even students of other Caribbean med schools will tell you that it's one of the top Caribbean schools. Good luck with your decision.

11. SabaMed

2+ Year Member

Go to SGU

12. Oluchi

5+ Year Member

Hi all! Thanks for your advice above, but heres the whole situation....would this change your advice?

My boyfriend and I are looking at marriage and are planning it for my 3rd yr of med school. We're open and could live anywhere.. I was accepted to SGU and SMU--

SMU: a 2 hrs flight from my bf, has approved rotations in MD and GA where we and both our families are based, would only be away for just 1 y 3 mo, but is not approved for licensure in all 50 states and lacks the same status as SGU

SGU: 1st yr in UK, 2nd yr in the islands; I'd be gone all away all 4 years, since it doesnt have any rotations or electives in MD or GA, but is licensed in ALL 50 states. Has a really good reputation-

Even though I'd prefer to practice in MD or GA and my bf and I would most likely live in either of these states, I would like to know that I could practice in any of the US states as well. We are both open people, and w/ the type of work we want to do, we know we could end up ANYWHERE in the states. That being said:
    Should I choose SMU and know that I just cant practice in some states...?(which might restrict my bf as he's applying to seminary schools in different states like Texas)
    Or do I choose SGU and know that I can prac in all 50 states, but I'd be gone longer and our marriage delayed?

13. Knight21

Knight21 New Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's tough....but if you think of what is best for you for the long run then the choice would be much easier by obviously choosing a school that has more open doors to you. 2 years wait is nothing (communication is key). Ultimately you just have to ask yourself what is best for you cause you are what you have at the end no matter what.

14. Oluchi

5+ Year Member

i hear you with that....thanks knight-
    any other advice?

15. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Go to SGU. They have a great reputation for placing students in US residencies. My friend that just graduated this year placed into Orthopaedic Surgery.

16. microphage

microphage Useless Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Electives can be done anywhere that will take you. Some of the Caribbean schools have clinicals in MD like Ross, AUC, Saba so I'm sure you can do 4th year there if you apply to the hospitals early enough for elective rotations.

17. Thaitanium

Thaitanium Member
    10+ Year Member

Oluchi-

I am from Ross. I would recommend you to go to SGU.

Good luck!

18. Top Gun

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, SGU does have a few rotations in Maryland hospitals. I think they have some in Baltimore and Cheverly. And you could always try to do your clinicals in New Jersey. SGU has a lot of rotations there, and whenever you have a free weekend or whatever, its a reasonable drive to Maryland (maybe about 3 or 4 hours).

19. berkeleyboy

berkeleyboy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

you really should go to SGU.

20. Hi, I don't know anything about Caribbean medical colleges. Where is S.G.U.? Is S.G.U. better than American osteopathic schools such as the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (P.C.O.M.)?

21. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SGU = St. George's University and is probably the best of the Caribbean medical schools - http://www.sgu.edu

No, always choose a US medical school over a foreign simply because it will help you when it comes time to match for residency. This isn't saying that you can't get into a great residency coming from SGU, but it will be significantly easier if you graduate from a US school.

22. Thanks for the website. Does the rule hold if the U.S. school is osteopathic?

23. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes. This is little difference between a DO and an MD. However, if you go outside of the US, most people will not know what a DO is since MD is the universally-recognized medical degree.