Advice Needed! Which Postbacc to choose: career changer or academic enhancer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gchencl

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I urgently need advice on choosing postbac programs. I'm currently working full time at a non-profit on public health program management, but I'm planning to go to a postbac program this year to prepare myself into medical schools.

However my problem is, I used to studied Chemistry major in undergrad, but later changed major to public health, so I've taken some of the medical school required science courses, and that made me not eligible for most of the "career changer" focused postabc programs. And since I didn't take all medical school required courses, this make me not eligible for some of the "academic enhancer" postbac, because most of them have admission requirement of complete all medical school required courses prior to entry.

I need advice on which type of programs I should choose. I emailed several schools about my situation but haven't heard back from any of them. Please help!!

*** science courses I've taken are:
2 semester of organic chemistry with labs
1 semester of general chemistry with lab
1 semester of biology with lab
Transferred from AP:
2 semester of physics with labs
1 semester of general chemistry with lab

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the career changer programs are the pre-reqs.

hence, go for the SMP (or do it DIY)

Hi Goro,

Thank you so much for your reply! I suppose the SMP is the special Masters Program? And what do you mean by the DIY option?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Goro,

Thank you so much for your reply! I suppose the SMP is the special Masters Program? And what do you mean by the DIY option?

Do it your self post-bacc is just simply taking upper division science classes at a local community/state school. The benefits of doing a DIY is
1. Much cheaper than a formal program.
2. Select classes based on your schedule.
3. Does not require you to relocate.
4. You can work/volunteer/study for the MCAT while taking classes simultaneously.

Just make sure you do really well 3.7+ to illustrate to Adcoms that you can handle the rigors of medical school. This will also help you boost your s/c uGPA!