Advice Needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adriano710

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm taking MCAT next May. I have a 3.4 GPA with good upward trend. Freshman year I received a 2.0 in both general chemistry classes. Now, my questions is, should I retake these two chem classes in the summer (after my MCAT) just in case I do not get into med school first time around and I will then have better grades next cycle? But how big of a difference will 6 credits really be? Is there any point? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm taking MCAT next May. I have a 3.4 GPA with good upward trend. Freshman year I received a 2.0 in both general chemistry classes. Now, my questions is, should I retake these two chem classes in the summer (after my MCAT) just in case I do not get into med school first time around and I will then have better grades next cycle? But how big of a difference will 6 credits really be? Is there any point? Thanks.

I think a 3.4 would be fine with a good MCAT score. However, i think its helpful to have good grades for your premed pre-reqs. If its not much trouble, i would just re-take the chem classes.

Depends on how your science GPA is doing and how much it can improve. If it is under 3.3, it could be in your best interest to retake the classes. If you have a 3.3, the real limiting step is the MCAT. If you're shooting for a school with high science GPA (Western, DMU, etc.), the higher the science the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking at MSUCOM, PCOM, CCOM, and OSUCOM primarily as my top schools in no particular order. I am a Michigan resident and attend MSU currently.

I think a 3.4 would be fine with a good MCAT score. However, i think its helpful to have good grades for your premed pre-reqs. If its not much trouble, i would just re-take the chem classes.
Aiming for a 28+ or whatever that translates to when I take the 2015 MCAT

What is your sGPA???

What is your sGPA???
I've never calculated it. I'm assuming it's around 3.0 right now. I know, not great, but next year I have all science classes (24 credits) still to go, so I still I have a ways to go in terms of sGPA and even cGPA.

GPAs of > 3.4 and a strong upward trend, plus a strong MCAT can take you far.

I've never calculated it. I'm assuming it's around 3.0 right now. I know, not great, but next year I have all science classes (24 credits) still to go, so I still I have a ways to go in terms of sGPA and even cGPA.

Reactions: 1 users
GPAs of > 3.4 and a strong upward trend, plus a strong MCAT can take you far.
What is a strong MCAT for DO schools? I looking to hit at the very least a 26. I'm studying second semester and taking it in May. I'm taking a relatively light schedule so hopefully I will put in enough time to hit 26, but preferably a 28 and then I will feel fairly confident of being accepted to one of my top choice schools like MSUCOM or PCOM.

What is a strong MCAT for DO schools? I looking to hit at the very least a 26. I'm studying second semester and taking it in May. I'm taking a relatively light schedule so hopefully I will put in enough time to hit 26, but preferably a 28 and then I will feel fairly confident of being accepted to one of my top choice schools like MSUCOM or PCOM.

Shoot for at least a28 if you're aiming for pcom and higher if you're oos for msu

Shoot for at least a28 if you're aiming for pcom and higher if you're oos for msu
MI resident. Hoping MSUCOM will be a school I can go to for sure even though my GPA is slightly below. I think a 26 MCAT with my EC's that favor MSU (volunteering 100+ hours at their hospital alone, participated in an MSU research project, and next winter will be going on an MSU brigades trip) on top of being an MSU undergrad will help. Really trying to go out of state though - PCOM or OSUCOM.

TKC got it...high 20s and you're fine anywhere.

MSU is very mission based. If you're from Michigan, they let a lot slide, but if not you'd better have serious volunteer hours and a mission-based PS.
So you're saying MSU is more lenient with MI applicants? Also, I heard they don't interview from a resident outta MSUCOM. Interesting.

So you're saying MSU is more lenient with MI applicants? Also, I heard they don't interview from a resident outta MSUCOM. Interesting.
They don't interview. You submit a ridiculously thorough application and pray they call you back. As an OOSer without a lot of volunteer experience, I was in the "Yeah, no" column and wasn't accepted with a 3.8/35. They're very volunteerism oriented in the selection process.

They don't interview. You submit a ridiculously thorough application and pray they call you back. As an OOSer without a lot of volunteer experience, I was in the "Yeah, no" column and wasn't accepted with a 3.8/35. They're very volunteerism oriented in the selection process.

They don't interview applicants?? Interesting. Wish more schools would do that haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait wtf. You didn't get into MSUCOM with those stats? Sounds almost unbelievable.

Wait wtf. You didn't get into MSUCOM with those stats? Sounds almost unbelievable.
I didn't get an II to PCOM or NYCOM either. I think it was due to my absolutely minimal volunteer experience, who knows. I was fine with the other IIs and acceptances- my top choice was the one I got into anyway.

I didn't get an II to PCOM or NYCOM either. I think it was due to my absolutely minimal volunteer experience, who knows. I was fine with the other IIs and acceptances- my top choice was the one I got into anyway.
You apply MD at all? Or did you want to take the osteopathic path?

You apply MD at all? Or did you want to take the osteopathic path?
Didn't apply MD for complicated reasons. Basically it would have cost me an extra year and I didn't think that would be worth it for my career goals. Also I think some of the deficits that led to PCOM, NYCOM, and MSUCOM not interviewing/accepting me would have had to be remedied (moar volunteering and maybe some research) before I'd stand a reasonable chance of MD admission.