Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cell Nucleus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a pre-med student in my gap year and first application cycle. I have been waitlisted at one med school and have interviews at another 2 medical schools. I also haven't heard back from an additional 10 medical schools. I am currently trying to decide what to do with my time to improve my application for next year if I don't get in this year.

My Stats:
MCAT 512+
GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.42
Shadowed a family doctor for 120+ hours, volunteered at an hospital for 90+ hours and volunteered at my community center for 120+ hours. Also worked part-time for 2+ years. No research or leadership experience.

I worked as a part-time medical scribe during the fall semester of my gap year for 230+ hours. Scribe for ED first and then moved to oncologists for the bulk of my time as a scribe. My scribe company lost a hospital contract so they don't have enough positions for all of us. I am still part of the company and I was told that whenever they have any part time positions open they will let me know. They also gave me an opportunity to work full-time but I cannot make that commitment because I am also doing two 4 hour shifts of volunteering at another hospital where I get to see surgeries. I will also be shadowing a pediatrician weekly starting soon.

So here is where I need advice. My science GPA is obviously low. I signed up for 2 neuroscience courses at my college as post-bacc. But I am not sure if I should take them or how much they will help my application for next year if I don't get in this year. I don't mind taking the courses but I think other aspects of my application can also use an improvement and the science courses are costing me 3300 dollars. The payment deadline is Jan 23rd. Should I take these neuroscience courses or should I get a part-time job as a medical scribe with another company? Finding a job isn't a guarantee either. I don't have much time to decide.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you not get accepted? Must have maybe applied a tad late or top heavy schools with a very little safety net.

If you are targeting a specific school or schools, talk to them, see what they say about improving your app. If you dont care where you end up, then save the money and just work.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you not get accepted? Must have maybe applied a tad late or top heavy schools with a very little safety net.

If you are targeting a specific school or schools, talk to them, see what they say about improving your app. If you dont care where you end up, then save the money and just work.
I made a mistake in my secondary application for my second interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a mistake in my secondary application for my second interview.

Well hopefully its a mistake that wount translate over into the next application cycle. That said, if it isnt a big issue, your application is fine as it is. You should get an acceptance if you apply early. Continue the volunteer work as many DO schools like it.

Just these rough stats you gave should be enough for you to get in somewhere. Nothing stands out as a gross weakness in your application. If the other two interviews don't work out, I would highly recommend going to a professional who can go through your entire application (core 8 classes to personal statement to secondary responses, etc) and see what they say. Maybe do it now so you are proactive, and when you get accepted then hey, no big deal! But nothing stands out. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice. I chose to drop the classes because I got a full time job as a medical receptionist.