This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

keitlia

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in need of some advice, as the guidance system in my life isn't the best. I just finished my second year in a BS in biochem degree, and my current cGPA is 3.823 and my sGPA is 3.81. The problem comes in with my junior year. So, I know junior year is typically a lot of test prep, looking at schools and pretty much application prep, but my junior year I'll spending on a study abroad in England. I know I could rush to apply and do tons of test prep while I'm over there, but with traveling and experiencing, I know it won't be as great as it should be... this led to the thought of taking a gap year after my senior year to delay these things and prepare for them adequately. Additionally, since I am leaving at a time I would be typically taking leadership roles in my organizations, I am lacking in the field of leadership and believe taking a gap year also has the ability to remedy this. Has anyone done this before, or have any input in my situation? Am I thinking about this the entire wrong way? Thank you in advance.
 
You should 100% take a gap year-- best decision I've ever made. Don't worry about the MCAT while you are abroad that's crazy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Oso
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in need of some advice, as the guidance system in my life isn't the best. I just finished my second year in a BS in biochem degree, and my current cGPA is 3.823 and my sGPA is 3.81. The problem comes in with my junior year. So, I know junior year is typically a lot of test prep, looking at schools and pretty much application prep, but my junior year I'll spending on a study abroad in England. I know I could rush to apply and do tons of test prep while I'm over there, but with traveling and experiencing, I know it won't be as great as it should be... this led to the thought of taking a gap year after my senior year to delay these things and prepare for them adequately. Additionally, since I am leaving at a time I would be typically taking leadership roles in my organizations, I am lacking in the field of leadership and believe taking a gap year also has the ability to remedy this. Has anyone done this before, or have any input in my situation? Am I thinking about this the entire wrong way? Thank you in advance.
I agree with your thinking completely. Don't rush things. Do it right.
 
100% agree with above posters--enjoy England and take a gap year. In regard to the leadership positions within student organizations, would it be possible for you to take on one of these roles as a senior? A friend of mine did something like this--it just takes some careful planning on your end, i.e. staying in communication with the student group, making sure they're aware you want to remain active upon your return.