Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keitlia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in need of some advice, as the guidance system in my life isn't the best. I just finished my second year in a BS in biochem degree, and my current cGPA is 3.823 and my sGPA is 3.81. The problem comes in with my junior year. So, I know junior year is typically a lot of test prep, looking at schools and pretty much application prep, but my junior year I'll spending on a study abroad in England. I know I could rush to apply and do tons of test prep while I'm over there, but with traveling and experiencing, I know it won't be as great as it should be... this led to the thought of taking a gap year after my senior year to delay these things and prepare for them adequately. Additionally, since I am leaving at a time I would be typically taking leadership roles in my organizations, I am lacking in the field of leadership and believe taking a gap year also has the ability to remedy this. Has anyone done this before, or have any input in my situation? Am I thinking about this the entire wrong way? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You should 100% take a gap year-- best decision I've ever made. Don't worry about the MCAT while you are abroad that's crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can prep for the mcat while in England. It's not that hard.

I am in need of some advice, as the guidance system in my life isn't the best. I just finished my second year in a BS in biochem degree, and my current cGPA is 3.823 and my sGPA is 3.81. The problem comes in with my junior year. So, I know junior year is typically a lot of test prep, looking at schools and pretty much application prep, but my junior year I'll spending on a study abroad in England. I know I could rush to apply and do tons of test prep while I'm over there, but with traveling and experiencing, I know it won't be as great as it should be... this led to the thought of taking a gap year after my senior year to delay these things and prepare for them adequately. Additionally, since I am leaving at a time I would be typically taking leadership roles in my organizations, I am lacking in the field of leadership and believe taking a gap year also has the ability to remedy this. Has anyone done this before, or have any input in my situation? Am I thinking about this the entire wrong way? Thank you in advance.
I agree with your thinking completely. Don't rush things. Do it right.

100% agree with above posters--enjoy England and take a gap year. In regard to the leadership positions within student organizations, would it be possible for you to take on one of these roles as a senior? A friend of mine did something like this--it just takes some careful planning on your end, i.e. staying in communication with the student group, making sure they're aware you want to remain active upon your return.