Advice needed....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by WhereMyLiberalsAt, May 15, 2018.

1. WhereMyLiberalsAt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I’m looking for some sound advice on how to approach this next cycle/year. I have came up short of my 3.0 gpa goal and I’m trying to figure out where to focus my energy.

I’m arguably finished with my BS in biology (need to finish calc & stats). This degree has been a struggle (just shy of 200 credits). I graduated high school back in 2007 and did remedial classes part-time for some time. I went through some relatively difficult trials when I started my prerequisites and bombed a year of classes (2012-2013). I then took a year off and started fall of 2014 towards a reinvention.

The “OK” (2008-2012)

Remedial classes + Economics/Finance classes

The “bad” (2012-2013)

Gen chem = F x 2

Gen bio = F x 2

Couple other random classes = F

Year Break

Following classes not in order... Just showing significant classes 2014-Present (the good AND the bad)

Gen chem 1 w/lab: A

Gen chem 2 w/lab: A

O-chem 1 w/lab: A

O-chem 2 w/lab: A

Physics 1 w/lab: B-

Physics 2 w/lab: B+

Gen bio 1 w/lab: A

Gen bio 2 w/lab: A

Bio-chem w/lab: A

Endocrinology: A-

Virology: B+

Cell bio: A-

Communicable disease: B+

Neurobiology: A

Microbiology w/lab: A

Genetics w/lab: A

Evo bio: C

Cell culture (lab intensive): A-

Nutrition & Med: A

Molecular bio (lab intensive): A

Advanced physiology w/lab: B+ (5 credits)

Rural Health scholars: A x 2

Readings for rural medicine: A

300+ level classes in the humanities: A x 9

cGPA: 2.995, sGPA AMCAS: 2.97, sGPA AACOMAS: 2.98

Last 120 credits cGPA: 3.68, sGPA: 3.64

MCAT: 503 127/124/126/126

Last two semesters were 33 credits with 400+ level classes.

As a non-traditional student I believe my ECs are very solid... I worked in technical sales full-time for all of my adult life... This career had me working with ranchers and farmers in rural communities and presented many growth opportunities. For the last 3 years I have owned my own Etsy shop where I’m able to provide for my wife and myself. I have obtained research grants for my own hypothesis driven research and have been dedicated in contributing to science. I have volunteered 700+ hours locally and spent two summers teaching English in Eastern Europe (8 months, 2 summers in their entirety)... I’m politically active as well and work with local legislators in developing legislation and getting the initiatives on the ballot. I have obtained a healthy amount of shadowing and just obtained a clinical based job (aiding 2 FM docs)...

I know my stats are $#!7 so I wanted to be first in... But with me falling short of the golden 3.0 I’m determining my next steps. Be first in and hope for a “holistic” review, or apply after summer semester (finished late August)? Even after coming up short I have to say I’m proud of the effort I’ve put into this degree and at this point “I’ve left it all on the field”.

DO advice: @Goro

Non-Trad advice: @gonnif

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cardboard101

Cardboard101 Wait, I got in?
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Bring GPAs above 3.0 -> Apply DO.

4. CyrusHabs7695

CyrusHabs7695 Go Habs Go...Next Year
    Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Goal #1: Bring both GPAs above 3.0
    Goal #2: Get above a 500 on the mcat, preferably 505.
    Goal #3: Get more clinical experience. Your non-clinical volunteering looks good, but it kind of looks like you lack actual hospital experience.

5. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Read this:
    Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

6. gonnif

gonnif Only 810 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Actually I would need to see an AMCAS GPA grid to really help. I dont care what overall GPA but I need to see what adcoms with and heat about the struggles to see what I can advise for this nontrad

7. WhereMyLiberalsAt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This ain't my first rodeo! I've thoroughly gone through your advice and have used it as a guide up until this junction... I kid you not, I have screen-shots of some of your post that I believe are golden. If I go off your advice alone, I will apply with my 2.99...

"3.0 is this magic number that SDNers fixate upon"

I want to pull the trigger but dropping $$$ and the sea of 3.0+ or bust post... Give some hesitance.

AMCAS GPA grid? That is the yearly trends, correct? I am not familiar with AMCAS but I'm willing to fill out an excel-sheet or do whatever is necessary to produce the info you need. "Heat about the struggles"? The specific struggle? or timeline of struggle with corresponding grades?