Advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePath

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a new poster here but I have pretty much read every post in the pathology forum over the last year. I'm pretty much set on going into pathology and plan on applying broadly to both university and community programs throughout the country. So, here's my situation: I studied cell bio in undergrad at a good school. I'm from a Caribbean school (Ross U, a better known one, but still Caribbean). I have almost a 4.0 GPA, going into my last 3 months of rotations, applying for the '08 match. I got 254 on Step 1 and 254 on Step 2CK (weird right, the same exact score). I think I will have good LORs, 2 from pathologists from 2 rotations at community hospitals. I do fairly well at interviews. I'm a caucasian male, american born (not that it should matter, but some would say its a pro and some a con). Clearly I have strengths and weaknesses in my application. I was talking to a colleague of mine who matched last year and he told me my problem would not be getting interviews or matching somewhere, but the choice of accepting a prematch offer or rolling the dice and staying in the match. As an FMG, one of the (few) benefits is the ability to accept a prematch offer and withdraw from the match. But, I have my heart set on a west-coast university program, and if a decent program in the midwest or east coast offers me a prematch contract during my interview, what do I do? I'm not really hung up on going to a "top" program, as I understand that "top" is a totally subjective thing; rather, being out west (CA, OR or WA) is more of a lifestyle issue for my wife and I. Basically, my question is: Where do I fit in? What is the best program that I can hope for, being an FMG with good numbers? Should I be happy to take what I can get, or push for the dream position? Apparently, most offers must be accepted on the spot or within 24 hours, so I may not have much time to weigh my options then and I'm trying to form a plan now. Sorry if that was a long-winded question. I would truly appreciate any advice, criticism or sarcastic humor anyone would like to offer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From one IMG to another:

Apply broadly, as you'll find programs that are IMG-friendly and those that aren't. The worst they can tell you is "No". There are Rossies everywhere at every level, so you stand a good chance of being recognized on the interview trail.

Regarding prematching -- yes, you have the option to do so, but these offers are fewer and farther between (in my own personal experience and those of recently matched colleagues), and are probably non-existant at the "top" programs (beacuse as one program director told me "We don't prematch because we don't have to...we have more than our fair share of highly qualified applicants"). My wife and I also discussed the possibility of prematching and decided we'd accept if offered at any one of my top three choices (it never happened but I matched at my #1 program anyway).

Finally, don't sell yourself short. You've got excellent numbers. Go for your dream spot. You'll have no regrets.

Good Luck!

That's funny what you say about prematching, because a lot of programs, even though they say they don't do it, they still do. It's often for people who are well known to do the department (i.e. research assistants, etc) and not for outside people though.

To the original question, all you can really do is apply and see. I wouldn't settle though. If you are offered a prematch spot, it's likely you are competitive and would match there anyway.

That's funny what you say about prematching, because a lot of programs, even though they say they don't do it, they still do. It's often for people who are well known to do the department (i.e. research assistants, etc) and not for outside people though.

Yeah, and you'd be surprised the caliber of program (insert well-reputed program's name here) that will prematch people.