Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPGY1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am kinda in a bad situation and could really use some advice/help from fellow SDNers. I got matched to a GPR program and I have already signed the residency contract with that hospital. However, because of some personal reason I will not be able to join my residency and want to opt out of it. I was wondering if any of you guys out there know someone or if any one of you has ever been in such a position. I could really use some help. I mean I do not want to talk regarding this with my Program Director at this point of time. I know that I will not be able to apply for any program through MATCH ever but I dont really know if my residency contract is final and binding since I was going through it and did not seem to have an "early termination clause by the resident" or anything like that.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

nobody here is going to be able to help you out; what you have to do is call the program director directly, explain your situation and more than likely he/she will allow you to break your contract. i was in a situation where i had to leave my AEGD midway through the program for personal reasons as well. the director wasnt' too thrilled, but just be honest and you should be fine. good luck

omar

Hi,
I would call and speak to your program director asap. I am a program director, and I would like to know this info now so that I could post match the position sooner rather than later. Given a personal set of circumstances, I would consider all the factors, and opting out without penalty is possible. Of course, if it is a program that has difficulty in finding residents, it could go the other way. There are still a few post match candidates out there, and some late grads, so I would not worry to much about the program finding a replacement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, please call your program director asap. some of us are still looking for post match spots

On another note, don't mean to jack your thread, but could someone please point me to where currently open residency spots are listed? Thanks in advance :)