Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

100YardDash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school San Juan Bautista won the injunction and was put back on probation by the lcme. For those of you who don't remember, my school lost it's accreditation on oct. 3rd because the hospital affiliated with the school went bankrupt among other things. As of today, we are back on a probationary status and back on ERAS and are now allowed to participate in the match for 2012. I have already received 3 rejections today, all saying that due to the limited dates that the programs have to interview students, the interview spots are all filled up. So, because im coming back into the game so late, I'm assuming that it's going to be hard to get interviews, even getting the interviews back I had before oct.3rd. Im most likely going to have to scramble.

I'm lost and need advice. Since I only have December for interviews, would it be smarter to just put all my eggs in one basket and apply to preliminary surgery, then play the match next year for PM&R? I really would appreciate any help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't do that (put all your eggs in a prelim surg basket). You can always scramble into a prelim surg spot if you want it - there are tons of them left over every year.

I would apply very broadly to PM&R. Are we past deadlines? If not, apply to more programs. How many did you apply to? And send the program coordinators an individualized email briefly mentioning why you're (re-)entering the match process late and telling them you're genuinely interested in their program and hope to interview with them. Shoot for as many PM&R interviews as you can get. Preferably ~10 presuming you're a reasonable candidate otherwise. Some places are "full" earlier in the process, but will have more openings later after other people start canceling interviews. So stay in touch with them.

I bet you still have some offers yet to come. How many interviews do you have lined up so far and what's your goal?

Thanks for the reply prof morality. I am genuinely interested in PM&R and just can't see myself doing anything else. Before oct 3rd I had 4 interviews. Now, I have zero. My goal at this point is just to match into a any PM&R program. So, you think it's better that I shoot for PM&R this late in the game vs just getting a preliminary and trying for the match next year? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply prof morality. I am genuinely interested in PM&R and just can't see myself doing anything else. Before oct 3rd I had 4 interviews. Now, I have zero. My goal at this point is just to match into a any PM&R program. So, you think it's better that I shoot for PM&R this late in the game vs just getting a preliminary and trying for the match next year? Thanks

If you are willing on matching into any program, I would continue w/ the match for this year.
Also, if you do not match you could try to scramble into the few programs that dont fill.

otherwise, if you reapply as an intern, you will be limited to the few programs that open up spots (ppl drop out, etc) or programs get new funding to open up spots. it will not be a comfortable situation, nor any easier.
you have better odds going through the match.

why prelim surg?!:confused:

If you are willing on matching into any program, I would continue w/ the match for this year.
Also, if you do not match you could try to scramble into the few programs that dont fill.

otherwise, if you reapply as an intern, you will be limited to the few programs that open up spots (ppl drop out, etc) or programs get new funding to open up spots. it will not be a comfortable situation, nor any easier.
you have better odds going through the match.

why prelim surg?!:confused:

Thank oreosandsake. Even though the district court of Puerto Rico held that The LCME's decision to withdraw it's accreditation was made prematurely, I feel like I now Im going to be marked as that student who came from the school who had its accreditation stripped for those few weeks. So, Im assuming the worst scenario and thats why preliminary surgery. Is surgery that bad??

I wouldn't do that (put all your eggs in a prelim surg basket). You can always scramble into a prelim surg spot if you want it - there are tons of them left over every year.

I would apply very broadly to PM&R. Are we past deadlines? If not, apply to more programs. Shoot for as many PM&R interviews as you can get. Preferably ~10 presuming you're a reasonable candidate otherwise. Some places are "full" earlier in the process, but will have more openings later after other people start canceling interviews. So stay in touch with them.

Your right. I'm going to cast a wide net and hope for the best. When do most programs stop interviewing? Mid-January? Thanks

I think most programs are done interviewing by mid-January, but a few go later. I concur with Oreos re: the difficulty of re-applying during internship. It could be done, but the system is not set up to accommodate that very well. Cross that bridge if you get there.

In the meantime, pull out all the stops. If your PM&R attending / LOR writer(s) can put in a good word for you, that would be helpful. Maybe you can approach them with your situation and ask if they might put in a good word for you directly with a PD at their alma mater or somewhere else if they know someone.

And you need to delicately balance the fine art of getting in touch with programs and letting them know you're interested without over-doing it or appearing desperate. But programs want to be wanted. Let them know you're interested. Let them know if you're going to be in their area.

I think I got 2 interview offers after mid-November last year. So not a lot but it happens. And your case is unique. You were getting interviews so these places obviously thought you were a good candidate. Now you just need programs to pick up your file again and take another look. Even the "full" places are gonna get some cancellations, and you want to be on their list of people to call to fill the spot.

If you think this is too much work to do now, wait until you are a surgical intern trying to do this next year, with no vacation time! Plus next fall no-one will care about what happened to your school this fall. People have short memories.

Trust us, go full speed ahead for both intern and PM&R applications. There are always unfilled surgery and medicine and FP, all of which are acceptable to PM&R. Apply broadly but don't worry too much about it. You can scramble as long as you are willing to pick up and move for a year.

Your focus needs to be talking your way into a PM&R slot late. If you aren't past deadline, apply to more schools. Make a nice email and send it to everyone you have applied to. wait a week, then start calling their secretaries (nicely) for information. Really focus on those 3 interviews you had to see if you can get them back, ask if the PD will make an exception and let you visit late or off hours (my alma mater hosted a few Saturday interviews to get cadidates in) . Make sure if there is a wait list for those 3 interviews you can get on it.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I secured 3 interviews but they were interviews I had before oct 3rd. Haven't gotten any new interviews. So, I should focus all my effort on getting PM&R and save the preliminary year for the scramble? I think that's the best strategy. Thanks

Trust us, go full speed ahead for both intern and PM&R applications. There are always unfilled surgery and medicine and FP, all of which are acceptable to PM&R.

I never saw any preliminary FP residencies on the frieda website. Are you talking about getting a categorical FP and then leaving the first year? I used the search button and the only thing I could find was matching FP category with the intention of leaving the first year... That would royally screw my colleagues for that program, no? Or are we talking about negotiating with a FP program to just do one year? Thanks

Hey, glad to hear it worked out!

Just keep applying as many PM&R programs as you can afford. I know some of interviewees, who have lots of invitations, are going to cancel some interview invitations. That means people in the waitinglist could have interview invitations afterwards. So, hang on there. There is always hope. You may have interview invitations after Dec. Never give up before the season finishes in late March.

Best luck to you!

Last edited:
I never saw any preliminary FP residencies on the frieda website. Are you talking about getting a categorical FP and then leaving the first year? I used the search button and the only thing I could find was matching FP category with the intention of leaving the first year... That would royally screw my colleagues for that program, no? Or are we talking about negotiating with a FP program to just do one year? Thanks

I wouldn't lie and ditch a 3 year program. The PD needs to know you don't plan to stay. But if it comes to scramble and you grab an FP spot that would otherwise go unfilled, I'm sure they would rather have a warm body for 1 year than no warm bodies. Sometimes programs have more leeway to move people around than you may think, especially in a big institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I was able to secure a total of 5 interviews. I applied to every pm&r program in the country but because of entering the game so late, those 5 are probably all I'm going to get... They are at strong programs though.
That being said, lets play worst case and say I don't match. Would it better to scramble into a preliminary and enter the match next year or do research for a year and then enter the match? If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Thanks and I appreciate all the help.

100YD,

Congratulations regarding the accreditation issue! I truly hope everything works out for the best--keep your head up. :thumbup:

Nice work Dash. Way to be tenacious.

While both are viable options, I think if it doesn't pan out I'd shoot for a prelim, ideally at a place with an attached PM&R program. Keep moving forward, start your clinical training. Be ready for opportunities as they arise.

Are you able to apply to the new Austin program?

Nice work Dash. Way to be tenacious.

While both are viable options, I think if it doesn't pan out I'd shoot for a prelim, ideally at a place with an attached PM&R program. Keep moving forward, start your clinical training. Be ready for opportunities as they arise.

Are you able to apply to the new Austin program?

Thanks Prof Moriarty. No, the Austin program is only interviewing for pgy-2 to start in july outside the match right now. Then next year, the program will participate in the ERAS match.

some programs only recruit PGY-2, such as NYMC. So, it's definitely better to have a prelim than nothing at all.

Keep up the good work:thumbup:

some programs only recruit PGY-2, such as NYMC. So, it's definitely better to have a prelim than nothing at all.

Keep up the good work:thumbup:

Thanks DrFreshair. I talked to one of my mentors yesterday who is a physiatrist and he agreed that if worst case and I dont match, it would be better to just go ahead with a pelim year rather than research... that way if i have to enter the match during internship and match for two years down, i can at least moonlight and make some money during the empty year.

Last edited:
Loma Linda has a few PGY-2 spots that they fill outside the match every year... at least that's what they mentioned when I interviewed there last year. Good luck!

Loma Linda has a few PGY-2 spots that they fill outside the match every year... at least that's what they mentioned when I interviewed there last year. Good luck!

Ok, good to know. Thanks cbest!

So my school San Juan Bautista won the injunction and was put back on probation by the lcme. For those of you who don't remember, my school lost it's accreditation on oct. 3rd because the hospital affiliated with the school went bankrupt among other things. As of today, we are back on a probationary status and back on ERAS and are now allowed to participate in the match for 2012. I have already received 3 rejections today, all saying that due to the limited dates that the programs have to interview students, the interview spots are all filled up. So, because im coming back into the game so late, I'm assuming that it's going to be hard to get interviews, even getting the interviews back I had before oct.3rd. Im most likely going to have to scramble.

I'm lost and need advice. Since I only have December for interviews, would it be smarter to just put all my eggs in one basket and apply to preliminary surgery, then play the match next year for PM&R? I really would appreciate any help. Thanks

So, after all the drama I ended up matching into PM&R. I cant say enough about how much I appreciate the PM&R forum/community for the advice and support. thank you

Last edited:
So, after all the drama I ended up matching into PM&R. I cant say enough about how much I appreciate the PM&R forum/community for the advice and support. thank you

Congrats! That's great.

I saw that only 4 slots for PM&R went unfilled this year, and they were all advanced positions. Looks like it was more competitive this year than in the past.

Congrats! That's great.

I saw that only 4 slots for PM&R went unfilled this year, and they were all advanced positions. Looks like it was more competitive this year than in the past.

yeah, it does look like the field is getting more competitive.

Congrats! That's great.

Yeah, but were filled by who or what?

If they filled with all people who really want to be in PM&R, great. But if a lot were filled with people who barely got through med school and failed their boards twice and only see PM&R as their lessor of the evils b/w PM&R and psych, or filled with the subset of international physicians who don't care what field they get into as long as they get to stay in America, then we're still stuck in the 90's.

We will have to wait for the full data from NRMP.

Yeah, but were filled by who or what?

If they filled with all people who really want to be in PM&R, great. But if a lot were filled with people who barely got through med school and failed their boards twice and only see PM&R as their lessor of the evils b/w PM&R and psych, or filled with the subset of international physicians who don't care what field they get into as long as they get to stay in America, then we're still stuck in the 90's.

We will have to wait for the full data from NRMP.

I really think that word is getting out about what a great field PM&R is. I just completed a derm rotation and the chief resident was telling me that she was torn between derm and PM&R during her 4th year... she even went on to say that there are days that she regrets not going into the field. I have also noticed a greater awareness among med students... I can only imagine what would happen if PM&R was a required 3rd year rotation.

I really think that word is getting out about what a great field PM&R is. I just completed a derm rotation and the chief resident was telling me that she was torn between derm and PM&R during her 4th year... she even went on to say that there are days that she regrets not going into the field. I have also noticed a greater awareness among med students... I can only imagine what would happen if PM&R was a required 3rd year rotation.

Yes. We had more than double the amount of PM&R applicants this year than we had in any other previous year that I've been here. It sounds like there's a decent number of people interested in the field in the current 3rd year class. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in future years.

matched into UT San Antonio. Again, thank you everyone for all the help. I am very grateful

My class of ~150 has approximately 4-5 people claiming a definite interest in the field.
...and I'm still working on convincing more classmates to consider PM&R :)

ps: happy st. patrick's day :luck:

Last edited:
matched into UT San Antonio. Again, thank you everyone for all the help. I am very grateful

Congratulations, 100YardDash! I'm so glad that things worked out for you. I've been following your story from the beginning and it's great to see that you are now *officially* matched!

Congratulations, 100YardDash! I'm so glad that things worked out for you. I've been following your story from the beginning and it's great to see that you are now *officially* matched!

Thanks newbie