Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Itsarainbow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-redacted per request

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys

DO grad here who applied VERY broadly to gas (step1:226 step2:224 comlex1:501 comlex2: 548) and received no interviews. I luckily ended up at a brand new TY program next year and I'm unsure of where my career is headed. I'm interested in PMR because I love doing procedures and plan on doing an elective early August. I'm hoping get some good exposure in order to see if it's a field I enjoy. Along with getting a good LOR, what other steps can I take to ensure a residency? I'm hoping to take my step 3 early and recieve a good score so I can submit it with my application. Where do you see the future of this field in 10 years from now? How would I rank as an applicant? Thanks in advance!

No one cares about step 3. Not a ton of time before apps in Sept. but if you can get a rotation in, sure why not. In PM&R the most widely available options are - inpatient, subacute, or pain/msk. Depending on where you are, market, some of those options might be better in certain cities than others. Pain regardless of which route you take is competitive. PRob easier to get in through Gas than PM&R but certainly doable from PM&R.

No one cares about step 3. Not a ton of time before apps in Sept. but if you can get a rotation in, sure why not. In PM&R the most widely available options are - inpatient, subacute, or pain/msk. Depending on where you are, market, some of those options might be better in certain cities than others. Pain regardless of which route you take is competitive. PRob easier to get in through Gas than PM&R but certainly doable from PM&R.
Thank you for your reply. How competitive how an applicant would I be if I were to do the rotation and get an LOR given my scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think you will be very competitive. I assisted about 12 students this last cycle and PM&R is very competitive now. I know students with solid applications and 240+ who did not match. A few with 250+ who barely matched. At the same time some had 220 but stellar applications that matched at top programs. Apply broadly, get multiple letters and in the meanwhile volunteer at PM&R related activities.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think you will be very competitive. I assisted about 12 students this last cycle and PM&R is very competitive now. I know students with solid applications and 240+ who did not match. A few with 250+ who barely matched. At the same time some had 220 but stellar applications that matched at top programs. Apply broadly, get multiple letters and in the meanwhile volunteer at PM&R related activities.
I matched this year and it was definitely more competitive than I expected. Lots of really good applicants. Also it sounds like OP will be applying for physician only spots which adds another hurdle.

I don't want to take the risk of not matching again. When you say I'm not competitive, does that mean my chances are low? Or average? If I'm out of PMR range then I might need to start looking into another field. My application isn't stellar so I'm worried. I'll have to apply early in TY year so I might not have much of a chance to improve. My goal is to get exposure and LORs (multiple hopefully) and to apply very broadly.

Last edited:
I don't want to take the risk of not matching again. When you say I'm not competitive, does that mean my chances are low? Or average? If I'm out of PMR range then I might need to start looking into another field

I just did a search up using NRMP interactive chart and using my comlex scores my chances are over 85% (I used 2019 and 2020 match class). Similar data for Step scores. There were more data points for the comlex group. However when I put in my lack of research, the my chances drop to 66% however there were only 5 data points. I would have a decent shot if I applied broadly right?

I am assuming from your OP that you have never done a PM&R rotation. You will be applying for residency as a physician, with limited PM&R exposure and less than stellar scores. Can you get in if you apply broadly? off course there is always a chance. Unless you have a very compelling story of why you did not apply as a med student, have stellar multiple letters, do very well interviewing and apply broadly you are not very competitive. I would have a back up plan if I was you. 5-10 years ago you would have had a much easier chance of getting in.
The key for you will be to get a LOR from a program director and get an audition rotation at a residency program.
Also don't tell anyone that "I'm interested in PMR because I love doing procedures"

I am assuming from your OP that you have never done a PM&R rotation. You will be applying for residency as a physician, with limited PM&R exposure and less than stellar scores. Can you get in if you apply broadly? off course there is always a chance. Unless you have a very compelling story of why you did not apply as a med student, have stellar multiple letters, do very well interviewing and apply broadly you are not very competitive. I would have a back up plan if I was you. 5-10 years ago you would have had a much easier chance of getting in.
The key for you will be to get a LOR from a program director and get an audition rotation at a residency program.
Also don't tell anyone that "I'm interested in PMR because I love doing procedures"
I don't have any so far. The amount of electives I had cut short due to COVID. My favorite rotation my 4th year was my pain rotation and thought the only way I could be able to do it was through anesthesia. I didn't know about PMR late this year and it was too late to switch up my schedule at that point. I know my scores aren't the most competitive but I have to give it a shot. I contacted a few local docs in order to see if I can shadow them before my Transitional year starts. And my PMR rotation is set early in this year before apps are sent out. My PD is very supportive and I'm hopeful he'll try his best to help me out. I plan on applying to every single program.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have any so far. The amount of electives I had cut short due to COVID. My favorite rotation my 4th year was my pain rotation and thought the only way I could be able to do it was through anesthesia. I didn't know about PMR late this year and it was too late to switch up my schedule at that point. I know my scores aren't the most competitive but I have to give it a shot. I contacted a few local docs in order to see if I can shadow them before my Transitional year starts. And my PMR rotation is set early in this year before apps are sent out. My PD is very supportive and I'm hopeful he'll try his best to help me out. I plan on applying to every single program.

Worse come to worse, you can reapply and wait a year. Sucks I know. But going into PM&R just bc of procedures really won't be that compelling. Sure you can do pain and procedures from PM&R but so can you from other specialties. If you can get a rotation and a good letter or two that would be good. Interview well, be personable, have a compelling story, etc. I agree with PM&R2008 that a few years back it was much easier. PM&R has filled 100% through the match for the past several years. I remember our program when I was a resident got literally hundreds of apps. I was shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.