Advice on 4th year externships.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magnus67

Lord of Sleepytime
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im a MSIII who is now sure I want to go into gas.(7 weeks of IM clinic has pushed me from 90% sure to 98.3%, a couple more 15+ past medical history patients and I'll be at 100%) Thanks to all the posters in this forum, it has really solidified my decision and is a great resource. After starting some 4th year planning I was looking for some input on externship sites or even residencies in general. I am going to do a couples match with my fiance who is going into ob\gyn. We have picked a couple places for externship, but I thought I'd post to see if anyone had any experience at these places. Any info on hours, quality of education, possibilities of getting letters, overall atmosphrere etc... would be greatly appreaciated.

I go to school in South Dakota(yes im a US student, look on a map) and am looking at externships int midwest in particular ,at Mayo in Rochester, U of Wisconsin, and Wisconsin Medical center, University of Nebraska, University of Colorado, also I have family/friends in the southwest and am looking at U of Arizona, U of Utah, and U of New Mexico. Family in Seattle so U of Washington and Virginia Mason are possibilities also.

Any info about these residencies, externships or any genreal tips would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Magnus67 said:
Hi, Im a MSIII who is now sure I want to go into gas.(7 weeks of IM clinic has pushed me from 90% sure to 98.3%, a couple more 15+ past medical history patients and I'll be at 100%) Thanks to all the posters in this forum, it has really solidified my decision and is a great resource. After starting some 4th year planning I was looking for some input on externship sites or even residencies in general. I am going to do a couples match with my fiance who is going into ob\gyn. We have picked a couple places for externship, but I thought I'd post to see if anyone had any experience at these places. Any info on hours, quality of education, possibilities of getting letters, overall atmosphrere etc... would be greatly appreaciated.

I go to school in South Dakota(yes im a US student, look on a map) and am looking at externships int midwest in particular ,at Mayo in Rochester, U of Wisconsin, and Wisconsin Medical center, University of Nebraska, University of Colorado, also I have family/friends in the southwest and am looking at U of Arizona, U of Utah, and U of New Mexico. Family in Seattle so U of Washington and Virginia Mason are possibilities also.

Any info about these residencies, externships or any genreal tips would be great. Thanks.

Why not Wash U? Can't get any better than their program.