Advice on applying to SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trinitrotoluene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When does one need to apply to these programs to secure a spot? I'm working on my applications to SMPs right now, but I'm trying to postpone paying out $500+ in fees until I hear something from a school I just interviewed at.

As for my chances of getting in, I have the following stats: <<deleted>>. I assume my numbers are quite strong for getting into a SMP.

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply as soon as possible if you're considering Georgetown and BU. I believe Georgetown hands out acceptances on a rolling basis. It's to your advantage to get your app in ASAP. And yes, the application fee is ridiculous (~$100, cheaper online than on paper) but this is one of the best SMPs. Some would say it's the SMP.

BU has two tracks. If you want to get into the track that allows you to take the Histo and Physio med courses, it's best to apply earlier (now if openings are still available). However, the second track also gives you the opportunity to take med courses. See the recent BU vs. Georgetown thread.

Of course, there's a few other SMPs (e.g., RFU) and if you're interested in any of those I'd also consider getting that app in soon.

With your stats you probably don't need to apply to more than one SMP (save yourself some money :) ), but I would apply to one *now* if I were in your shoes.

Phil,

I've been reading through a lot of your posts and they have really been a give help . Thanks for the great advice.

Why are you wasting your time with the med school stuff when you could be charging clueless "yuck-yucks " like me (who slept though undergrad) hundreds of bucks for this advice.... :p You’d clean up man!

"Career counseling" :D

:laugh: I would answer your inquiry with a more thoughtful response, but for the time being I think this will suffice: :p

Okay, okay, I'll humor you. :) To make a long story short...I had undergrad shortcomings, but I was determined to turn my life around. When I went to my alma mater's pre-professional office for advice, I received very little beneficial information. Therefore, I was forced to do my own research. Much of the information I post is simply spreading information that other SDNers have been kind enough to give me. If I charged hundreds of bucks (haha), I'd have to share the wealth. Immediately after graduation, I remember feeling lost, frightened about my future, and absolutely clueless about my options. Thank goodness I stumbled upon SDN for some help and support. I realize others may find themselves in situations similar to mine, so I thought I'd just help spread what I've learned and what I've learned from others.

You're not the only one who slept through undergrad. By the time I woke up from my deep sleep, the supposed "best four years of my life" were over. Evidently, we're not alone. I guess we'll just have to make up for lost time.

God willing, one day this prodigal son will return.