Advice on asking for a academic rec letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sglazer

LMU c/o 2021!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a junior and I still haven't really found a professor that could potentially write me a letter of rec. All of the classes that I get to know the teacher, I generally struggle in (Orgo, Calc...etc). In the classes I tend to do well in, I really didn't have much contact with the teacher; do you see my problem? So does anyone have any advice for me on what to do? I'm doing research for credit this year under a graduate student, so would that technically be an academic reference because I'm earning credit for it?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a junior and I still haven't really found a professor that could potentially write me a letter of rec. All of the classes that I get to know the teacher, I generally struggle in (Orgo, Calc...etc). In the classes I tend to do well in, I really didn't have much contact with the teacher; do you see my problem? So does anyone have any advice for me on what to do? I'm doing research for credit this year under a graduate student, so would that technically be an academic reference because I'm earning credit for it?

Did you end up passing the classes you struggled with? If so, then they could possibly write a letter about your perseverance and dedication to do better.

You're a junior this year, so I presume you're not applying until next summer. You've got this year to work on making some connections with your professors. Pick one or two classes each semester or quarter, and really make an effort to go to office hours regularly or stick around after class to chat with the professor. Think about what sort of traits you'd want them to write in a letter for you and display those traits.

As far as your research with a grad student, it would look better to get a letter from the professor whose lab it is. Get to know the PI by going to the lab meetings, sticking around and asking questions, or reading some of his or her publications and coming to them with questions about it.

I know it can all be a bit stressful because you may feel like you're just doing it for a recommendation letter, but we've all been there. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have an academic advisor? Or a major advisor?

My academic advisor wrote mine. After working with her for 4 years, she knew me better than my professors.

The professors for the classes you struggled in may be worth asking in that they can talk about your perseverance/dedication, willingness to seek help when needed, hard work ethic, etc. On the other hand, you will likely develop a stronger relationship with someone you do research with/work with more closely on a daily basis and they will know you on a more personal level.

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you can get an evaluation from both (struggling and non struggling) classes, that'll be great! Reiterating here but the professor that taught the class you struggled in will be able to highlight how you overcame all those low points and came through in the end. They'll be able to talk about how you didn't give up and persevered, asking for help when needed, and wasn't afraid of it! For the class you did great in, I think that it will be able to show that you don't struggle through ALL your classes and in classes that you excelled in, you still shine bright like a diamond (sorry listening to radio)!

Could the researcher I work with count as an academic reference if I'm receiving credit for it?