Advice On Bad Grades In Pre-Med Classes/Transferring Colleges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiretobe16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've scrolled through this forum for awhile now and finally decided to make a post because I need some advice. I'm a pre-med student who unfortunately received 2 bad grades in my science classes this semester. A D+ in the first half of college biology, a D in general chemistry, and a C- in my chemistry lab. My other grades were an A in Calculus and two B+'s in Humanities classes. I am not happy at my current school and would like to transfer, however I am torn.

My current institution does not offer these classes next semester, meaning I would have to wait until summer to take them at a community college. I have put serious thought into going to community college this upcoming semester, but I am not sure how it would affect my transfer chances. I am applying to 2 competitive state schools for transfer in fall of 2017.

I know I'll get a spot to say why I did bad in these classes and I can put that I decided to transfer to a CC to be able to take these classes and keep my intended major and pre-med track alive, however, I'm not sure how it will look to these colleges that I left half way through the year? If I went to a community college now, I could take both parts of college bio and chem (throughout next semester and the summer) and be able to start an organic chemistry sequence in the fall at a 4-year institution (which is my goal), but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get in. I have strong essays, letters of rec, and a good resume. I'm in 4 clubs, hold a leadership position, a lab assistant spot, and numerous volunteering hours.

If anyone has any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated! I slacked off 1/2 way through the semester due to a few personal issues with my health and the atmosphere at school. I know I am capable of getting A's and B's in all of my classes. I've identified my problems and I've thought of a plan going forward on how to better study/handle my science classes. Thank you so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Transfer to the CC, ace everything from now on, especially when you then transfer to a 4 year school.

And make better choices. Don't try to bulldoze your way through a semester if you have too much **** on your plate.

Reactions: 1 users
aspiretobe16 said:
If anyone has any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated! I slacked off 1/2 way through the semester due to a few personal issues with my health and the atmosphere at school. I know I am capable of getting A's and B's in all of my classes. I've identified my problems and I've thought of a plan going forward on how to better study/handle my science classes. Thank you so much for the help!

@aspiretobe16 What's the plan going forward? To not slack off?

Members don't see this ad :)
Transfer to the CC, ace everything from now on, especially when you then transfer to a 4 year school.

And make better choices. Don't try to bulldoze your way through a semester if you have too much **** on your plate.
Thank you for your input! And yeah I definitely had too much on my plate.

@aspiretobe16 What's the plan going forward? To not slack off?
Well for starters, my advisor admitted he probably didn't set me up for the best schedule. As for me personally, I think I will be better going forward now that I've figured out my personal issues. I definitely need to work less and start working harder on my academics. It wasn't that I didn't understand the material. I just definitely didn't put the time needed outside of class to excel in it.

Hi everyone! I know a lot of people didn't reply to this thread but I am happy to say that I redid my Chemistry and Biology classes, along with taking Psychology, Advanced Composition, and Calculus II and I finished this semester with a 4.0! CC definitely gave me the boost I needed. On top of that I am transferring to my number one school/dream school in the Fall! Anything is possible with hard work! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Recently a lot of people are posting updates on their situation. Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Recently a lot of people are posting updates on their situation. Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

Thank you! Glad to hear things are working out for others too. I definitely feel like medical school is still a possibility now! :)

My first semester of college I got a B- in Bio 101 and in my second semester I got a B- in psychology ( the teacher was horrible and would not let us take notes in class).
My current gpa for first year is around 3.5
I will be transfering from private to public college due to personal reasons.