Advice on GS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolverinepwns

Si vis pacem, para bellum
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I needed some advice from the more experienced. I needed to see what you all would do if you were in my position. Im a third year DO student, Top quartile of the class and a 250+ usmle score. I have a passion for surgery and work hard. I know ACGME GS residencies have the bias, but I wanted to know what those that have gone through the process think about the chances of matching at university hospitals. Preferably in California/NY which is even more competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all, I needed some advice from the more experienced. I needed to see what you all would do if you were in my position. Im a third year DO student, Top quartile of the class and a 250+ usmle score. I have a passion for surgery and work hard. I know ACGME GS residencies have the bias, but I wanted to know what those that have gone through the process think about the chances of matching at university hospitals. Preferably in California/NY which is even more competitive.

NY is not particularly competitive, but there are certainly some programs there that are more competitive.

Most DOs applying for an allopathic surgical residency will have excellent boards scores. It's the other parts of your application that will set you apart (LORs, away rotations). In the end, being a DO will be a large strike against you, but you can overcome it with some hard work.

It's also important to do your research on which programs are DO-friendly.

NY is not particularly competitive, but there are certainly some programs there that are more competitive.

Most DOs applying for an allopathic surgical residency will have excellent boards scores. It's the other parts of your application that will set you apart (LORs, away rotations). In the end, being a DO will be a large strike against you, but you can overcome it with some hard work.

It's also important to do your research on which programs are DO-friendly.

I agree with SLU. My advice from the DO perception at my program... Take the USMLE. Both steps. cOMLEX is nice, but not alot of people in allo world will be able to interpret te scores. Plus if you do good on both comlex/usmle it proves your good score wasnt a fluke.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for the advice. Hardwork on auditions and LORs will for sure play a huge role on my application. My followup question: is considering applying for integrated cardiothoracics a ridiculous dream? I would do a AOA program for cardiothoracic if they had one but there is no such a thing. I honestly don't know how competitive the cardiothoracic programs are but I would imagine they are pretty competitive and I just hoped a high usmle score would help but I was wondering what you all think?

All of the integrated programs are competitive by sheer fact of the few positions available and the high demand. Integrated cardiothoracic surgery is no different. CTS Fellowships, on the other hand, are less competitive and may very well be open to someone with an osteopathic degree, assuming completion of an ACGME Residency.

If this is your field of interest you owe it to yourself to apply to some of the programs but you'll find the competition to be even greater than for allopathic general surgery.

All of the integrated programs are competitive by sheer fact of the few positions available and the high demand. Integrated cardiothoracic surgery is no different. CTS Fellowships, on the other hand, are less competitive and may very well be open to someone with an osteopathic degree, assuming completion of an ACGME Residency.

If this is your field of interest you owe it to yourself to apply to some of the programs but you'll find the competition to be even greater than for allopathic general surgery.

CTS Fellowships are often very open to DO candidates, even without completing an ACGME residency. I personally know 3 programs that have had multiple DO candidates. I do agree, integrated programs are going to be harder to get, though it may not be impossible at a place that has taken DO candidates for spots in the traditional pathway. The OP should look for those programs that have histories of taking those DO candidates.

CTS Fellowships are often very open to DO candidates, even without completing an ACGME residency. I personally know 3 programs that have had multiple DO candidates. I do agree, integrated programs are going to be harder to get, though it may not be impossible at a place that has taken DO candidates for spots in the traditional pathway. The OP should look for those programs that have histories of taking those DO candidates.

Thanks for your insider input.

UCSF - Fresno took a DO last year.