Advice on how to deal with a touchy subject

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillystring

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about addressing a sensitive issue from my past that inadvertently affected my academic performance. I had a particularly bad year two years ago that began with being sexually assaulted and ended with a couple of C’s, a W, and an F. At the end of the year, I had thought of dropping my pre-med pursuits, but then decided to give it another try. I’ve retaken a bunch of classes and have definitely made great strides since then.

Now I’m getting ready to apply this year, but am worrying (a bit pre-maturely) about what to do when/if questions about my past academic performance come up. I don’t think that I’ll bring up the poor grades in my personal statement (I’d rather talk about something more positive), but know that this issue will inevitably come up sooner or later. Any advice on a good way to address this issue when it comes up?

Thanks for reading this and good luck to all during this crazy and stressful process…

Members don't see this ad.

i know a girl who applied last year who was in a similar situation. i think that it is important to mention it in your essay (at least briefly) so that the adcoms can better understand your grade situation. if you don't, then you risk being overlooked because those grades, if they go unexplained, will raise red flags. rather than focusing on the negative aspect and blaming bad grades on your experience, focus on the postive aspects. show them how the event affected you and made you stronger. it will demonstrate your strength and determination to keep going even after a traumatic event.

You should have taken incompletes or W's in all of those courses when you went through that horrible experience.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the personal statement, but having gone through that might be a good thing to show as having overcome. I'm sure others might be able to give some better perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
sillystring said:
I have a question about addressing a sensitive issue from my past that inadvertently affected my academic performance. I had a particularly bad year two years ago that began with being sexually assaulted and ended with a couple of C?s, a W, and an F. At the end of the year, I had thought of dropping my pre-med pursuits, but then decided to give it another try. I?ve retaken a bunch of classes and have definitely made great strides since then.

Now I?m getting ready to apply this year, but am worrying (a bit pre-maturely) about what to do when/if questions about my past academic performance come up. I don?t think that I?ll bring up the poor grades in my personal statement (I?d rather talk about something more positive), but know that this issue will inevitably come up sooner or later. Any advice on a good way to address this issue when it comes up?

Thanks for reading this and good luck to all during this crazy and stressful process?

Was there a professor or advisor, or someone from your work, or someone, who supported you at the time - who knew about the situation (or who has since come to know about it)? If so, they could explain what happened in one of your letters. I agree that you should mention it very briefly - how frustrating that YOU should have to explain anything, by the way - but the assault is the true reason for those grades, which don't represent your real abilities.

You can use the "disadvantaged" section of the AMCAS rather loosely - it makes reference to things affecting your education - don't claim financial (unless that is the case) but simply state what happened, making sure to specify the semester you are referring to. Last year, if you checked yes, then you had an additional space to explain things in.

I'm amazed and impressed at how far you have come! Your persistence is a great trait. Are you applying "this" year as in right now (for admit fall 2006)?

Definitely explain the circumstances that affected your grades negatively. Perhaps don't use your PS to do this but use the section in AMCAS that asks. Turn it around to show how you grew from the experience and something positive came from it. All the best....

MB in SD said:
You should have taken incompletes or W's in all of those courses when you went through that horrible experience.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the personal statement, but having gone through that might be a good thing to show as having overcome. I'm sure others might be able to give some better perspective.

Well, what my dad always taught me about this can be summed up in two sayings:

"Coulda, shoulda, woulda, and 50 cents can get you a cup of coffee."

"Hindsight is 20/20."

No big deal. Under stress we don't all always do things exactly the best way for something that we want later. It's ok. If you survived that, you did good. So good on ya, be as upfront as you can be without seeming whiney, and I think adcoms will respect your strength in getting through something you shouldn't have had to.

Your other grades are pretty good? That semester really stands out?

sillystring said:
I have a question about addressing a sensitive issue from my past that inadvertently affected my academic performance. I had a particularly bad year two years ago that began with being sexually assaulted and ended with a couple of C’s, a W, and an F. At the end of the year, I had thought of dropping my pre-med pursuits, but then decided to give it another try. I’ve retaken a bunch of classes and have definitely made great strides since then.

Thanks for reading this and good luck to all during this crazy and stressful process…

I went through a very similar experience and had some success with acceptances this year. PM me if you want.

sillystring said:

Now I’m getting ready to apply this year, but am worrying (a bit pre-maturely) about what to do when/if questions about my past academic performance come up. I don’t think that I’ll bring up the poor grades in my personal statement (I’d rather talk about something more positive), but know that this issue will inevitably come up sooner or later. Any advice on a good way to address this issue when it comes up?

I am very very sorry to hear that. But you should definitely talk about it at least briefly in your PS. Maybe how you have gotten through it and then strike the positive note you are talking about. ADCOMS don't want to guess as to why your grades dipped and you don't want to take the chance of them NOT giving you the benefit of the doubt and not granting you an interview. PM me if you have any questions and don't forget to apply early!

Another quote a well respected microbiologist professor told me:

"when you laugh, the world laughs with you. when you cry, you cry alone."

Everyone here has provided good comments on how to take what unfortunate events happened to you on the stride.

I would definately use this to show you you've either grown, learned, matured, and/or evolved from that experience. Again, its iffy whether or not to use it in your PS. Tragedy has a way of making the writer applicant look either strong minded and passionate with conviction...OR naive and looking for sympathy, sort of the buy the hearts of the admission committee reading the PS. Again, its upto you, exercise that information appropriately.

Was there an upward trend in your GPA after the 2 years of sub-par numbers? If so, this may be to your advantage.

I offer an anecdote. A close friend, currently at UW, started freshmen year with a 1.5 GPA. He quickly got back on track and boosted his GPA among the lines of 3.2-3.3. It was a drastic improvement, and he's well aware of that. In interviews, he explained what happened and obviously someone listened and agreed that he deserved to get in, which he subsequently did.

Although my story isn't as harsh as yours. I pretty much learned valuble lessons from my experiences, and overall, it helped.

G'luck.

(oh, and on a personal note. I am enraged by the mere fact of knowing that sexual harrasment still occurs. not only on a basis of the interaction of strangers in public, but in work settings and academia. in high school, i sooned learned that an ex gf of mine was raped in an alley by drunkards downtown at night. my current gf has had her own unpleasant experience which I will not get into. i hope whomever did that to you got what was coming to them...i'm thinking along the lines of castration.)

I don't have a situation that is exactly the same but it is similar enough that I though I would share.

When I was a freshmen, my girlfriend of two years was assaulted. As bad as I was I cannot imagine what it would be like to be an actual survivor - you have my infinite respect and admiration for getting through it all and still succeeding in school.

In my situation, my grades dropped, though not as greatly as yours. After the incident I became heavily involved in sexual assault awareness and counseling; four years later I've given talks presenting original research at national conferences on sexual assault. I wrote my PS on the issue, as it has become central to my college and life experience. However, my advice would be this: if you have another topic for your PS that you like and think would be good, go with it. If mentioning this situation in your PS fits, go for it; if not, I think you will have ample space to explain either elsewhere in the AMCAS app (as someone else already mentioned) or on secondaries. And if this is your only majorly bad semester, I'd imagine that adcom members might assume something was going on there and give you the benefit of the doubt.

I will also say that if you choose to write your PS on this issue, put a lot of thought into it. I found it to be a difficult task, as you want to find that fine line where you indicate your strength and resiliance rather than asking for sympathy. But again, my situation is different from yours in quite a substantial way.

Feel free to PM me; good luck :)

sillystring said:

I just wanted to say that I had a very similiar experience my sophomore year of college. As an entering student for this fall's class I can tell you that writing about it in my PS did nothing to hinder my application. I used the PS as a way of explaining the situation and how I grew from it. No interviewer really ever brought it up other than stating what I learned from it. So, I know it is a sensitive topic, but I guarantee that Adcoms will probably look at it in a tactful manner. And to the poster who told you you needed to withdraw from classes...he is an idiot to be passing judgement this late in the game...that isn't what this forum is for.

AlaskaGirl said:
And to the poster who told you you needed to withdraw from classes...he is an idiot to be passing judgement this late in the game...that isn't what this forum is for.

I was thinking the exact same thing.