Advice on how to hit the ground running

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was lucky enough to gain a DO acceptance at this time in the cycle along with a few other interviews.
So I am trying to get advice from current students as to different things I could do to hit the ground running next fall when I begin.

Any and all advice is appreciated. I will be doing research with a neurosurgical residency program director and hoping to continue to do that while in medical school however I want to dedicate all of my time to ensuring that I do well on boards and can match well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Learn how to use Anki and make good flash cards. Step 1 will be Pass/Fail starting 2022 and many residency programs don’t put much thought into Level 1 scores (former AOA programs might though), so concentrate on doing well in your classes. Doing research will definitely be helpful so you are already doing the right thing.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Learn how to use Anki and make good flash cards. Step 1 will be Pass/Fail starting 2022 and many residency programs don’t put much thought into Level 1 scores (former AOA programs might though), so concentrate on doing well in your classes. Doing research will definitely be helpful so you are already doing the right thing.
I’d still study for step 1 as scored until they tell you the exact date. They said jan of 2022 at the earliest, if they move it back for a few months, class of 2024 will be scored too. If they move it to 2023, op’s class will be scored too.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMS 1 - study class powerpoints with board materials (FA, BnB, Pathoma, Sketchy). Use Zanki.
OMS 2 - study for Step 1 like it is still scored... the basis for doing well on Step 2 (the key to getting a good residency) is having a great Step 1 foundation.

DO's are at even more of a disadvantage with Step 1 now going P/F. DO schools names are weak and MD > DO 98% of the time. Best chance is Step 2, research, and sub-i impressions.

Reactions: 1 users
I am wanting to match into a competitive specialty, however I went into this knowing that I may not be able to do so. I am okay with matching EM, IM etc. I would prefer a surgical subspecialty though so I want to do everything possible from the start!

I am wanting to match into a competitive specialty, however I went into this knowing that I may not be able to do so. I am okay with matching EM, IM etc. I would prefer a surgical subspecialty though so I want to do everything possible from the start!
If you are okay with surgery, EM, and IM... then you don't really know what you like. Bc they are all so different.
That's fine, you won't really know until third year when you get to clinicals.

Go hard so you have options.

• Love
If you are okay with surgery, EM, and IM... then you don't really know what you like. Bc they are all so different.
That's fine, you won't really know until third year when you get to clinicals.

Go hard so you have options.

I have been involved in each specialty but I want surgery more than anything. I would more so be complacent in emergency medicine and rather do IM than nothing at all. lol If that makes sense. I see what your saying though! I am going to try and do all I can so I have the options to choose.

Enjoy the rest of this time you have off. You wont have it ever again.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I have been involved in each specialty but I want surgery more than anything. I would more so be complacent in emergency medicine and rather do IM than nothing at all. lol If that makes sense. I see what your saying though! I am going to try and do all I can so I have the options to choose.
I was into surgery and internal med... settling for IM with a plan to do a critical care fellow and become an intensivist.

Tried to combine my love to managing acute diseases while being able to do high quality bedside procedures (central lines, chest tubes, intubations, etc.) to satisfy my passion for general patient management and hands on features.

• Love
Biggest thing to do from now until summer time would be to really learn the ins and outs of Anki. Don't need to start a med school deck like zanki yet. But go through the youtube videos, read the manual, practice with random non medical decks, get the hang of it. My biggest regret looking back at my first two years was getting on anki late (half way through first year) and I never really learned the program and software until the start of second year. So do that before school starts.

• Love
I was into surgery and internal med... settling for IM with a plan to do a critical care fellow and become an intensivist.

Tried to combine my love to managing acute diseases while being able to do high quality bedside procedures (central lines, chest tubes, intubations, etc.) to satisfy my passion for general patient management and hands on features.

What was the deciding factor in your decision?

Biggest thing to do from now until summer time would be to really learn the ins and outs of Anki. Don't need to start a med school deck like zanki yet. But go through the youtube videos, read the manual, practice with random non medical decks, get the hang of it. My biggest regret looking back at my first two years was getting on anki late (half way through first year) and I never really learned the program and software until the start of second year. So do that before school starts.

I used Anki during my MCAT prep and I liked it. I do agree I should look into how to use it to its highest proficiency.

What was the deciding factor in your decision?
I just believe Internal Medicine is my personal idealistic way of practicing medicine. I think that going through internal med and then doing critical care, gives you a blend of patient management that I've always liked + hands on procedures that are "sterile" but don't require you being in the OR all day.

I like the idea of doing a pulm/critical care so I can do clinic in the morning, then ICU work in afternoon/night.
Hours and lifestyle are much better. Pay isn't incredibly different compared to a general surgeon.
Eventually in my old age, being able to scale down to just internal med/pulm clinic stuff, without sacraficing income.

Like the old joke goes... "surgeons don't know how to manage diabetes". JK but you get my point.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I just believe Internal Medicine is my personal idealistic way of practicing medicine. I think that going through internal med and then doing critical care, gives you a blend of patient management that I've always liked + hands on procedures that are "sterile" but don't require you being in the OR all day.

I like the idea of doing a pulm/critical care so I can do clinic in the morning, then ICU work in afternoon/night.
Hours and lifestyle are much better. Pay isn't incredibly different compared to a general surgeon.
Eventually in my old age, being able to scale down to just internal med/pulm clinic stuff, without sacraficing income.

Like the old joke goes... "surgeons don't know how to manage diabetes". JK but you get my point.

That's a great point. Ugh. I wish I had a better idea already. I guess I will just go through the rotations and see what I actually like when it is me practicing.

That's a great point. Ugh. I wish I had a better idea already. I guess I will just go through the rotations and see what I actually like when it is me practicing.
You're not supposed to have a better idea. It takes time. I went from GS to IM (hospitalist) to IM-CC (intensivist).

Who knows maybe during cardio block, you'll love the CV system but still want to do procedures so you'll go into IM >> cardio >> interventional-cardio fellow and do all the cool cath and bypass procedures.

Lots of options. Probably too many.

Get a solid exercise and meal plan game going. I set my physical health on fire the first two years and wish I’d taken better care of myself.

Congrats on getting in. I think I saw you on the pre-DO side and you were quite the underdog. Way to go!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Get a solid exercise and meal plan game going. I set my physical health on fire the first two years and wish I’d taken better care of myself.

Congrats on getting in. I think I saw you on the pre-DO side and you were quite the underdog. Way to go!

I appreciate that! I was, I had sub 3.0 GPAs and a very compelling story.

I’m glad you mentioned self care. I am big into fitness and dieting. I meal prep and hit the gym at 4:30 am 6/7 days. Hoping to keep this up however I have heard very discouraging views on this from others due to time constraints.

I appreciate that! I was, I had sub 3.0 GPAs and a very compelling story.

I’m glad you mentioned self care. I am big into fitness and dieting. I meal prep and hit the gym at 4:30 am 6/7 days. Hoping to keep this up however I have heard very discouraging views on this from others due to time constraints.

Don't let others discourage you from doing something that's so important.

Here's the thing: in medical school, you'll never feel like you're done studying. I studied for nearly 12 hours on Sunday and I had plenty more to study if I was so inclined. So it's up to you to make time for your health and your hobbies. A few hours a day dedicated to fitness/other hobbies will keep you sane and healthy. My "vices" are an hour reading/listening to a non-medical book (usually high fantasy fiction) and an hour or two at the gym.

Will you have to study more than you might have even thought was possible? Sure. You may even have to cut back that first month or two to see how you handle the medical school load. But don't become the medical student that does NOTHING other than study.

• Love
Don't let others discourage you from doing something that's so important.

Here's the thing: in medical school, you'll never feel like you're done studying. I studied for nearly 12 hours on Sunday and I had plenty more to study if I was so inclined. So it's up to you to make time for your health and your hobbies. A few hours a day dedicated to fitness/other hobbies will keep you sane and healthy. My "vices" are an hour reading/listening to a non-medical book (usually high fantasy fiction) and an hour or two at the gym.

Will you have to study more than you might have even thought was possible? Sure. You may even have to cut back that first month or two to see how you handle the medical school load. But don't become the medical student that does NOTHING other than study.

Oh I’m not! I am definitely going to keep at my hobbies and such. I do believe I might need the first month or two to adjust and to help my fiancé and daughter adjust but I’m excited and hungry for this!

Oh I’m not! I am definitely going to keep at my hobbies and such. I do believe I might need the first month or two to adjust and to help my fiancé and daughter adjust but I’m excited and hungry for this!

You seem to have the right attitude. From another (former) pre-med with a terrible GPA, best of luck to you and your family.

• Love
If you truly wanted to pre-study, the best thing to do is skim first aid biochem, do some mild sketchy pharm and micro... ask first years currently for their power point slides, make flashcards based on these, study for all the time you have remaining aka 6 months plus, by the time you're in your first semester blocks (first one probably biochem), you will be miles ahead and don't even need to study.

• Hmm
  • Love
Good job getting in! I recommend watching Anking’s video playlists. He helped me go from a mid level to high level Anki user. The biggest thing that will change your life is getting the setting right for yourself so you don’t experience ease hell.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Good job getting in! I recommend watching Anking’s video playlists. He helped me go from a mid level to high level Anki user. The biggest thing that will change your life is getting the setting right for yourself so you don’t experience ease hell.

Thank you! I will definitely look into that!

Will depend entirely on how your curriculum is setup, but become familiar with Anki and trust it to take you far. Also your step 1 will not be scored, so I think focusing on your class rank is more important than getting an early start on Zanki. My friends at mandatory PBL class based schools have req’d attendance from 8-3pm M-F. Makes something like Zanki difficult to keep up with. They were successful from making their own cards from class PPTs and supplementing with high yield Zanki as necessary.

When I ask them what they wish they could change, every person said they wished they started Zanki earlier