Whoot! Whoot! Whoot! Groundbreakings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted at 9:13 AM, Oct 04, 2021
GREAT FALLS — Touro College & University System and Benefis Health System will break ground in Great Falls this week on a proposed new medical school campus of the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine.
The ground-breaking ceremony will be on Wednesday, October 6, at 11 a.m., at the corner of 26th Street South and 18th Avenue, near Great Falls Central Catholic High School.
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine said in July 2021 that it plans to accept 125 students each year and to educate them with affiliates in Montana as well as sending some students out of state for their clerkships and rotations, according to Dr. Alan Kadish, president of the Touro College and University System.

As it turned out, it was between Casper, Wyoming, and Billings for the location of Rocky Vista University's newest campus. Billings prevailed and is now poised to become the home to Montana's first medical school.
"Sixty truck loads of concrete have been poured into the ground already, just to give you the size of the magnitude of this building," said Park. "We are expecting about 600 more truckloads of concrete to build this 135,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art medical education building."
The construction timeline for the new Montana College of Osteopathic Medicine sets a December 2022 goal for completion of construction, with an official ribbon-cutting set for July of 2023. The school's inaugural class of 80 students will be ready to begin clinical rotations in July of 2025.

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Please no
Reaction GIF

Members don't see this ad :)
GREAT FALLS — Touro College & University System and Benefis Health System will break ground in Great Falls this week on a proposed new medical school campus of the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine.
The ground-breaking ceremony will be on Wednesday, October 6, at 11 a.m., at the corner of 26th Street South and 18th Avenue, near Great Falls Central Catholic High School.
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine said in July 2021 that it plans to accept 125 students each year and to educate them with affiliates in Montana as well as sending some students out of state for their clerkships and rotations, according to Dr. Alan Kadish, president of the Touro College and University System.

As it turned out, it was between Casper, Wyoming, and Billings for the location of Rocky Vista University's newest campus. Billings prevailed and is now poised to become the home to Montana's first medical school.
"Sixty truck loads of concrete have been poured into the ground already, just to give you the size of the magnitude of this building," said Park. "We are expecting about 600 more truckloads of concrete to build this 135,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art medical education building."
The construction timeline for the new Montana College of Osteopathic Medicine sets a December 2022 goal for completion of construction, with an official ribbon-cutting set for July of 2023. The school's inaugural class of 80 students will be ready to begin clinical rotations in July of 2025.
Should I, as a pre-med, start looking at dentistry or podiatry yet (or rather, take another look, at least with the former)?

(Please...no virtual throwing of junk at me.)

Seriously though, while I have an interest in medicine - starting with M.D. since I was a kindergartener thirty years ago as my late father was an M.D., and D.O. sometime later after I became aware of it - I do wish to raise a family as well, and that includes making sure that either myself, or my future wife and myself make enough to support one. That is just responsibility. I am neither a physician or economist, but I can see physicians' wages tank if too many medical schools open.

So far I have not mentioned the nurse practitioner schools which keep opening up - they appear in my Facebook ads.

I am not interested in being a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant/associate. I respect them - I shadowed a PA before - but let us leave it there.

If there are too many doctors, I will just shift to something outside of health where I can be the best I can be.

Last edited:
Should I, as a pre-med, start looking at dentistry or podiatry yet (or rather, take another look, at least with the former)?

Seriously though, while I have an interest in medicine - starting with M.D. since I was a kindergartener thirty years ago as my late father was an M.D., and D.O. sometime later after I became aware of it - I do wish to raise a family as well, and that includes making sure that either myself, or my future wife and myself make enough to support one. That is just responsibility. I am neither a physician or economist, but I can see physicians' wages tank if too many medical schools open.

So far I have not mentioned the nurse practitioner schools which keep opening up - they appear in my Facebook ads.

I am not interested in being a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant/associate. I respect them - I shadowed a PA before - but let us leave it there.

If there are too many doctors, I will just shift to something outside of health where I can be the best I can be.
If I had to do it over again I would go PA.

These schools won’t affect total number of doctors. Increasing residency spots does that. What this does do is make it harder to obtain residency spots bc there’s more competition.

For transparency’s sake, there is always a looming threat of residency expansion. This has ruined the job market in fields like pathology, rad onc, and is starting to affect EM now too.

I can tell you that things aren’t as rosy as I thought when I first got into this stuff. But there will always be a need for doctors.

Reactions: 1 users
some one has to go after the cash that US IMGs pay overseas/carib med schools.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user
RVU is doing nothing to enhance the reputation of the DO degree by opening DO schools as fast as they can build them. Interestingly, they don't even report their entering class MCAT average any more. Perhaps their student quality is declining as they continually expand and need to fill seats.

It's depressing to see these threads, especially since I know we're powerless to stop this. The last thing the DO degree needs is to water it down even further.

some one has to go after the cash that IMGs pay overseas/carib med schools.

For what it is worth, both Rocky Vista University and St. George's University in Grenada are owned in whole or in part by MEDFORTH/Global Healthcare Education.

I am not saying that is good or bad (and yes, in addition to the nurse practitioner schools, SGU also appears frequently in my Facebook ads, as does this school I never heard of before called St. James School of Medicine).

Last edited:
RVU is doing nothing to enhance the reputation of the DO degree by opening DO schools as fast as they can build them. Interestingly, they don't even report their entering class MCAT average any more. Perhaps their student quality is declining as they continually expand and need to fill seats.

RVU admissions did not look at the MCAT for the class of 2025 due to Covid, which is why it is not published. Previous years it was 506, which is honestly pretty good for a DO school.

Just an FYI, this is not a good thing. They keep flooding the market with these schools, which quite frankly does nothing for residency positions and brings zero value to medicine as a whole, but hey, if you think this is a good thing, God Bless you.

Just an FYI, this is not a good thing. They keep flooding the market with these schools, which quite frankly does nothing for residency positions and brings zero value to medicine as a whole, but hey, if you think this is a good thing, God Bless you.
He posts these ironically not in favor of them.

I do wish to raise a family as well, and that includes making sure that either myself, or my future wife and myself make enough to support one. That is just responsibility. I am neither a physician or economist, but I can see physicians' wages tank if too many medical schools open.

So far I have not mentioned the nurse practitioner schools

If there are too many doctors, I will just shift to something outside of health
If you’re worried, don’t do it.

If I had had your concerns/ideologies/situation as a premed I would’ve done something else.

To be clear, I personally am not concerned or dont have the same priorities as you, but if I were you & were concerned, I wouldn’t do it.

For now they take away students who’d have went to Caribbean/deferred a year, so it’s not that bad. If anything, it’s good as those MDs are now DOs which will help to promote the degree. But the issue is that it doesn’t look like it’ll stop anytime soon and their quality of teaching. Plus OMM.

Just hope residency spots don’t get out of hand.