Advice on how to re-write or revise personal statement. Feedback much appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungRic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am re-applying this cycle and currently waiting for my MCAT score. I felt that my MCAT score was a giant red flag and wish I waited for it to be released before submitting my application last cycle. I am not sure what to revise about my personal statement as I received a majority of secondaries back from the schools but I withdrew my application after receiving my MCAT score. With this I was wondering how much of my personal statement do I need to revise or even rewrite and if someone can take a look at it. Much Appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the schools you applied for screen applications before submitting secondaries, the fact that you received the majority of secondaries is not an indicator of how good your application is. A lot of schools send secondaries to ALL applicants, as it is a good source of income (sorry for being blunt). Even if the schools do screen, they are usually "low" thresholds (i.e. minimum GPA, MCAT score). I put "low" in quotations, as I'm not sure what your stats are and am not asking you to disclose them.

Since you did not submit your secondaries, I don't think you'd be considered a re-applicant to those schools, as I believe schools only look at your application once your ENTIRE file is received. Regardless, I suggest you consider the option of revising/re-writing your personal statement and activities/descriptions. Have you done anything that contributed to your goal of becoming a physician? Any new or different experiences?

Reactions: 1 user
Unless the schools you applied for screen applications before submitting secondaries, the fact that you received the majority of secondaries is not an indicator of how good your application is. A lot of schools send secondaries to ALL applicants, as it is a good source of income (sorry for being blunt). Even if the schools do screen, they are usually "low" thresholds (i.e. minimum GPA, MCAT score). I put "low" in quotations, as I'm not sure what your stats are and am not asking you to disclose them.

Since you did not submit your secondaries, I don't think you'd be considered a re-applicant to those schools, as I believe schools only look at your application once your ENTIRE file is received. Regardless, I suggest you consider the option of revising/re-writing your personal statement and activities/descriptions. Have you done anything that contributed to your goal of becoming a physician? Any new or different experiences?
Thank you and no you aren't being blunt. I honestly thought it was a good indicator so that is good to know. A lot of my plans got cancelled due to COVID so in the meantime I was scrambling to find things. In terms of new experiences, I am currently a COVID site test assistant and a food drive volunteer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above poster that you would not be considered a re-applicant if you didn't submit the secondaries but it's still worth looking over the PS again. Your narrative has changed because I presume your first MCAT was not where you needed it to be. I'm not an expert but that seems like it would good fodder for a paragraph of the PS. I was also advised by someone sitting on an adcom to address those things head on in the PS.

I'd be happy to glance over it and give you a bit of feedback if you PM me. A few bullet points about your demographic info and anything that makes your app unique would be helpful. I'm a first yr DO student and I was an English major before I switched to biochem.

Agree with the above poster that you would not be considered a re-applicant if you didn't submit the secondaries but it's still worth looking over the PS again. Your narrative has changed because I presume your first MCAT was not where you needed it to be. I'm not an expert but that seems like it would good fodder for a paragraph of the PS. I was also advised by someone sitting on an adcom to address those things head on in the PS.

I'd be happy to glance over it and give you a bit of feedback if you PM me. A few bullet points about your demographic info and anything that makes your app unique would be helpful. I'm a first yr DO student and I was an English major before I switched to biochem.
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you. I really appreciate! I am also a biochem major. Can I send you a PM?