Advice on how to use Kaplan materials effectively?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice for us kids taking the kaplan prep class on how to use the materials effectively?

I find that EK books are a lot easier to read and follow. I'm thinking of using EK books to understand the material but use the Kaplan material for practice. Good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the Kaplan prep course right now and honestly, the material's way too overwhelming. I've tried just going through the online lessons again & then just taking as many practice tests as I can.

I'm thinking of getting the EK books since they seem to be really popular-- any thoughts on how helpful they are (I've got 2 months left to study & wondering if I should pay for more prep books.) :scared:

the extra practice is key for kaplan. I didn't even use the books, used EK and used most of their science practice material, all the discretes, and most of the other stuff, and ended out ok.

Good to know that the $1700 I spent on Kaplan was well worth it! :mad:
Guess I'm buying the Ek books then. Thx!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm going thru Chemistry right now in both the Kaplan and EK books.

It's almost the same and follows the same order..

except EK gets RIGHT to the point. Kaplan is a little more dense and detailed. I'm still using Kaplan though.. more as a textbook since it explains things in more detail.

Though EK is good, unless you have a solid foundation, it won't really tell you why just what. What's important for a lot of MCATs is also the why since you need to APPLY what you "know." Y'all know why the "know" is in quotes. MCATs = memory dump

I took kaplan course, and I thought the books and classes were worthless. Yet, I never regret taking it because they give out just overwhelming practice materials that will (probably) never run out.. Some people say the kaplan practice exams are not representive of the real ones, but still, how can you not improve after taking 11 full lengths and about 30 other section tests?

Whatever prep-book or prep-course you choose, make sure to take the full advantage of it. You really need to make time for stuying and practicing.

Though EK is good, unless you have a solid foundation, it won't really tell you why just what. What's important for a lot of MCATs is also the why since you need to APPLY what you "know." Y'all know why the "know" is in quotes. MCATs = memory dump

agreed. EK stuff is just review. I ended up going back to the text book in gen chem and will honestly say that the big campbell bio book saved my butt in anything bio related. taking biochem didn't hurt either.