Advice on job search in Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaspberryPharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It'd be great help if anyone can shed some light on how to find a pharmacist job in this state. I moved here from out-of-state and have no "inside" connections. I've been using Indeed.com, Monster.com, Glassdoor.com, ...all the possible job listing websites, visited individual retail stores, emailed and called district managers, and google mapped local hospitals to search their website to find job openings. I haven't had much luck and its getting me nervous (that's an understatement, I'm already nervous). Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know anybody in pharmacy who knows somebody else in pharmacy in Massachusetts? That's where I would start. Getting in from the outside is very tough sometimes. Alternatively, try a recruiter.

I don't actually... The closest I got meeting a guy from church who is a pharmacist, but he lives in MA and works in NH. If there was an opening, he would've taken it.

Thanks, radio frequency, a recruiter may just be my last resort if I don't find a job myself soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, BMBiology. I'll remember to check before my next move. If it's as accurate as you say, you may find me in Alaska if I don't find a job here soon.

This map is always correct. Follow it and you will succeed in life.

Don't take this too seriously.

I think your best/only bet is to walk into independents and ask if they need any help on the weekends/evenings/fridays. Keep at it. I remember when I lived in Allston, I eventually lucked out like this.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, BMBiology. I'll remember to check before my next move. If it's as accurate as you say, you may find me in Alaska if I don't find a job here soon.

It's 100% correct except for California. No way in hell the demand for pharmacists in California (with its zillion schools ) is just as high as Texas. And no, it has nothing to do with the lady behind the website and the location of her school.

Don't take this too seriously.

I think your best/only bet is to walk into independents and ask if they need any help on the weekends/evenings/fridays. Keep at it. I remember when I lived in Allston, I eventually lucked out like this.

I'll have to rent a car but it's a good idea. It'll give me an "in". Thanks.

What part of Mass are you in? Looking for retail?

Eastern MA is not likely to be a job search success. Come summer, you might find some work on the cape. Until then, I'd look in Worcester or west.

What states in the Northeast have the highest demand? Maine?

It's 100% correct except for California. No way in hell the demand for pharmacists in California (with its zillion schools ) is just as high as Texas. And no, it has nothing to do with the lady behind the website and the location of her school.
From what I understand, there actually is some demand in the inland, lame part of California nobody wants to live in. Living in the big three metros on the coast...yeah, not gonna happen without luck and connections.

Reactions: 1 user
What part of Mass are you in? Looking for retail?

I'm in Eastern Mass, Boston area. Most of my experience is from retail but at this point anything would be fine. (haha, does that sound too desperate??)

From what I understand, there actually is some demand in the inland, lame part of California nobody wants to live in. Living in the big three metros on the coast...yeah, not gonna happen without luck and connections.

there's a lack of jobs even in places where i would refer to as "the armpit of California".

Check out this great opportunity to buy an indie in San Luis Obispo:

http://www.businessesforsale.com/Pharmacy-for-sale-30.aspx

The point being: look outside the places that "everyone" wants to live and you can find good if not great opportunities. Not rocket science.

Another thing to remember esp: considering the saturation is that in the abundance of labor it is good to be an employer and bad to be an employee. In other words, look for opportunities to own and expand and compete against the chains.

good luck.