Advice on Johns Hopkins vs Columbia programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsnowdude

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve been accepted to Johns Hopkins MHS program in microbiology and immunology, and Columbia’s MS in Human Nutrition program. They are both a one year programs. However JH is 64 credits (a good chunk of those is allotted to writing your thesis) Columbia is a little over 33 credits ( depending on what electives you choose). The amount of credits for JH is slightly concerning as it seems accelerated. They both seem to have success with alumni getting into medical school (I’ve struggled to find an accurate list within the last 5 years). One is an Ivy League and the other isn’t. I went to an Ivy League for undergrad so I feel it would be pretty impressive to have two Ivy League degrees. (Maybe that doesn’t matter too much to medical school admissions). They are both great programs and I would go to JH if that would put me in a better position with getting accepted to medical school. I also think JH has really became a household name because of COVID (everyone was using their website to get data and info). I really like both programs equally, and they give me an opportunity to learn another topic that will really benefit down the road when I’m a physician. I was wondering if people could drop some advice, and even alumni with either program could share their experience. It would be super helpful in helping me make my decision. I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

nobody will care about your pedigree. why are you doing either? what's your game look like right now?

Reactions: 1 user
From my experience, Ivy League masters programs are used to subsidize undergrad and PhD programs. There was actually just a piece in the WSJ on this. Congrats on the acceptances but beware of taking on a lot of debt for the name.

These programs are a borderline scam considering how much they cost. Your time is better spent doing research and volunteering if your goal is to get into medical school.