Advice on Keeping Debt Low

Started by awaring1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used to love biking to classes/downtown until my bike was STOLEN OUT OF MY APARTMENT BUILDING last year!! 😡 I feel like there are more robberies in poor areas (I lived near the projects my senior year of college, stupid Boston is so expensive) which is why I'm now willing to spend a little more $$ to live somewhere safer... I do also have renter's/property insurance for less than $15/month should something big like my computer or other electronics get stolen.

Anyway. I will potentially be living pretty close to vet school this year (and may live in some pretty countryside making the bike ride more pleasant!), so it would be nice to have a bike again for use before it's too cold out. The thing is, my last bike was bought by my parents wayyy back in middle school - I've been the same height since then so I never needed to buy a new one. But this means I have no idea what kind of bike to look into, how much I should spend, and where to obtain it? I'm a fan of mountain bikes since I used to love taking my bike out on trails... Also generally don't like to buy the cheapest thing out there, but if anyone has any suggestions on bike purchasing (I would consider a used one of I don't need to do any work on it), that would be awesome 😍

Uggh stealing bikes is so uncool.

I just bought a new bike and after years of mountain bikes and hybrids I switched to a road bike. If you want it mainly to commute and you only plan on going on roads or bike paths I would definitely recommend it. Takes some getting used to but it is so much more efficient, I get to work/class faster and a lot less huffy / sweaty. Just buy a good lock, or even better, two, and send in the insurance thing that comes with them ( I know kryptonite locks come with insurance for the bike).
 
Buy cheap foods and dress them up with veggies for health. Adding peas to ramen noodles, adding corn to a box of Zataran's, adding broccoli to a box of chicken helper...you get more mileage out of the cheapness!
Also, wean yourself off expensive drinks. And by expensive I mean anything that costs more than about $2/gallon. Develop a taste for water, home-brewed tea, powdered lemonade, what have you. Soda can be cheap but Koolade is cheaper!
In the wintertime, wear layers indoors, socks, sweaters, and a hat! Turn down the thermostat accordingly 🙂
 
I used to love biking to classes/downtown until my bike was STOLEN OUT OF MY APARTMENT BUILDING last year!! 😡 I feel like there are more robberies in poor areas (I lived near the projects my senior year of college, stupid Boston is so expensive) which is why I'm now willing to spend a little more $$ to live somewhere safer... I do also have renter's/property insurance for less than $15/month should something big like my computer or other electronics get stolen.

I have had not one, but TWO bikes stolen out of my apartment building. First was a Trek that I despised and wasn't too sad about. Just 2 weeks ago someone used an angle grinder to chop my u-lock and cable lock and steal my gorgeous blue Bianchi Cortina. 🙁 I give up on bikes!

I eat a lot of rice - it's SUPER easy to cook with chicken broth, which you can also buy for cheap and w/low sodium, and I throw in lots of frozen veggies to cook. Then I'll buy frozen shrimp or scallops, or cook chicken or beef to toss in for some protein. Relatively inexpensive, goes a long way, and is basically a whole, balanced meal for a week. We also gave up cable TV and just use Boxee and the internet to watch things.

My guilty pleasure is Starbucks coffee. I have managed to get down to only going once a week, but I mean it's across the STREET. 🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the wintertime, wear layers indoors, socks, sweaters, and a hat! Turn down the thermostat accordingly 🙂

This! I actually invested in a heated mattress pad (amazing! 😍) for about $50 at Walmart, and straight up turned my heat OFF overnight every night. I've used electric blankets before and found they never quite kept me warm enough, but my mattress pad is awesome. I only have to set it to low or 2 (max setting is 9), any higher and it's way too warm. If I'm going to be gone all day I set my thermostate to 55 (so the pipes don't freeze), but when I'm home it never goes above 66 or 67.
 
I have had not one, but TWO bikes stolen out of my apartment building. First was a Trek that I despised and wasn't too sad about. Just 2 weeks ago someone used an angle grinder to chop my u-lock and cable lock and steal my gorgeous blue Bianchi Cortina. 🙁 I give up on bikes!

I eat a lot of rice - it's SUPER easy to cook with chicken broth, which you can also buy for cheap and w/low sodium, and I throw in lots of frozen veggies to cook. Then I'll buy frozen shrimp or scallops, or cook chicken or beef to toss in for some protein. Relatively inexpensive, goes a long way, and is basically a whole, balanced meal for a week. We also gave up cable TV and just use Boxee and the internet to watch things.

My guilty pleasure is Starbucks coffee. I have managed to get down to only going once a week, but I mean it's across the STREET. 🙄

I keep my bike in my dorm room b/c I really don't want it to be stolen. My roomie doesn't exactly like this plan, but she doesn't have much of a say.

That rice recipe sounds good! I think I might try cooking rice, it's always intimidated me for some strange reason. I tend to eat way too much junk food 🙁
 
Better yet, a tabby cat... They are much less maintenance expense than dogs.

Oh, if only that were true! Prescription food, litter, daily meds, monthly heartworm & flea preventative, vaccinations, routine bloodwork/UAs, periodic dentals, an annual echo and chest rads for the one with heart disease... Right now I am basically volunteering at work to cover the cost of my cats' healthcare.

I'm not looking forward to when they all become seniors at once and I'm running SQ fluids on half while injecting the others with insulin or transporting them to their iodine therapy sessions. 🙄

It is true that cat owners go through less food than a dog owner, and the medication dosages are smaller (so they tend to cost less), but these beloved little whiskered monsters are still my biggest expense!

Bottom line: Pets of any kind -- bad investment for the frugal student. 😀
 
I keep my bike in my dorm room b/c I really don't want it to be stolen. My roomie doesn't exactly like this plan, but she doesn't have much of a say.

That rice recipe sounds good! I think I might try cooking rice, it's always intimidated me for some strange reason. I tend to eat way too much junk food 🙁

We have too many bikes - my boyfriend has 3 (he works at a bike shop), and two are in the apartment. 🙄
RE: rice. Here's the basic recipe I use: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/05/shrimp-peas-and-rice.html but I dial down the rice (using 1/2 cup dry gets me 3 days of meals), and I crank up the veggies - I'll add 1/2 cup each of frozen peas and frozen corn. And you can use any protein source you want, if you don't want shrimp, I just stir fry everything because it's absurdly easy.
 
As far as pets go, they are actually pretty cheap once you are in vet school.

We get free purina, inexpensive Hills, free frontline, free interceptor, free advantage/tix, and free heartguard. We also get a discount at the hospital. Iams has also been talking about setting up a distribution program.

Its not enough to cover multiple pets, but for the most part one is pretty cheap.

And I think the benefits of having a pet can outweigh the downside. I love having a dog - he gets me outside in the fresh air. I hang out with other vet students at the dog park. He comes to school with me in the evenings. He's always happy to see me when I get home. And I have a dog to practice palpating all the bony knobs that we have to learn. ;-)
 
I guess this doesn't apply if you are IN vet school and covered by health insurance, but if you are not there yet and don't have insurance to help pay the medical bills...go to dental schools for check-ups and dental work, go to a minute clinic if you are moderately ill, take your pets to a vaccine clinic or low-cost spay/neuter (blasphemy, I know 😉 ). Also, planned parenthood offers very cheap contraceptives, which will save you big bucks in the long run if you know what I mean. Also, definitely make use of what your undergrad school can offer in the way of free flu shots, free mental health visits, etc.
 
I'm not a big money saver, but I'm not too 'gloom & doom' about my financial future (that being said, I'm not going the traditional vet med route).

Personally, I would rather spend money to live in at least a safe area, than live somewhere where I'm afraid for my life once the sun sets.

I think that is something worth spending money on.

I think it is also worth spending money on things that keep you sane. If that's a nice meal out or money for an activity you enjoy, I think that's worth it.

However, I think you can save SERIOUS money by NOT buying all the books they tell you to buy for your classes. Most of them are available in the library if you need them, but really...you won't have time to do too much book reading and everything you really need will be in your notes or is available for further explaination via that God of Knowledge (wikipedia).
 
Last edited:
I met a student over break who had signed an apartment lease without thoroughly investigating the area at nighttime. Her first weekend there, she tried to order pizza and was told that they would not deliver to her area after sunset. There were too many crimes and the pizza delivery drivers would not be safe enough.

... She did a lot of studying in her locked apartment after sunset so she didn't need to go outside (i.e. walk to her car down the street).

Go Philly! (I'm sure this can happen in any city, just a reminder to check the police logs before signing your cheap lease)
 
I'm not a big money saver, but I'm not too 'gloom & doom' about my financial future (that being said, I'm not going the traditional vet med route).

Personally, I would rather spend money to live in at least a safe area, than live somewhere where I'm afraid for my life once the sun sets.

I think that is something worth spending money on.

I think it is also worth spending money on things that keep you sane. If that's a nice meal out or money for an activity you enjoy, I think that's worth it.

However, I think you can save SERIOUS money by NOT buying all the books they tell you to buy for your classes. Most of them are available in the library if you need them, but really...you won't have time to do too much book reading and everything you really need will be in your notes or is available for further explaination via that God of Knowledge (wikipedia).


AWESOME RESPONSE. Sums up all my thoughts.

I tried to be frugal by living in the cheapest place I could find that was closest to the school... and unfortunately I live in a bad area, and no, it's not worth it. In my city, there really are no "good" areas, but the particular street I live on is notorious for crime and violence. Not to mention, there aren't many places here that are very cheap. It's a toss up between finding a cheap, crappy place to live and not living an hour from the school (traffic here is HORRENDOUS and depending on where you live, it can take up to an hour to get from the school to certain areas of Baton Rouge).

As GB just said, the things you enjoy are good to spend money on. I love baking. I don't get to do it often, but I like to allot money towards baking cupcakes (homemade ones, not store bought mix). If you can live without cable, awesome- more power to you. I, however, enjoy watching TV to wind down at the end of the day... or week sometimes :/. There's nothing wrong with that.

Lastly, the book thing. I never use books. I am an ADD reader and I can't focus on books. I do outlines, which my teacher gives, but books really don't help much and I have found I have wasted A LOT of money this year on them. Won't make that same mistake again!
 
I met a student over break who had signed an apartment lease without thoroughly investigating the area at nighttime. Her first weekend there, she tried to order pizza and was told that they would not deliver to her area after sunset. There were too many crimes and the pizza delivery drivers would not be safe enough.

... She did a lot of studying in her locked apartment after sunset so she didn't need to go outside (i.e. walk to her car down the street).

Was I the person you met?? This is my exact situtation. They won't deliver pizza after 5 pm... even though I live on "the good side"....
 
I get the sarcasm, but seriously, not true. Suffered a very traumatic break-in in an area near campus that was... well... it was cheap but not the slums. Crime happens anywhere. Period. (sorry for going all 'mother hen' on you about this... I wouldn't wish what I've gone through upon anyone....)

sorry you suffered such a traumatic event, but really, no need to go mother hen. it was really more a joke rather than sarcasm in response to another post. just like the prostitution comment, totally didn't expect anyone to take it literally. sorry if it jogged bad memories... i really didn't mean to offend. (i personally don't ever intend to live anywhere that i feel remotely unsafe, and i take huge precautions even when in very safe areas to the point where it's bordering paranoia. i'm like the biggest wimp in the world!)

more on topic: i try to keep my living costs down, but like everyone else, i pick and choose where i save and where i splurge. i don't get cable, i have roommates, i don't have a smartphone/dataplan on my cell, wear hand me downs from generous sisters, and i don't spend much on entertainment. however, i spend a LOT on food. i learn best via textbook, so i do buy a decent number of books too.

other than keeping costs down, i try to minimize my debt by generating an income. i've made sure to work enough so that i didn't need to use loan money for rent + utilities every month, and at least a significant portion of my living costs. this way, i don't feel nearly as bad when i splurge on something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this always makes me feel really old but...
clipping coupons!

I get a strange sense of satisfaction from clipping coupons... I cut out nearly every one of them and when I go to the grocery store, if it's a product I know I won't buy, I'll leave the coupon with someone that's looking at that product or I'll leave it on the shelf next to the product.
 
I will have to look into a road bike.. I just don't want those weird wide scoopy handlebars, find them very uncomfortable lol. Any suggestions of brands/price range?

For cheap bikes (cheap ANYTHING, really) it is hard to beat craigslist. I think a used Schwinn in good condition can go for under $100 here. You can buy a nice new one for around $600, which sounds like an ungodly amount until you compare it to the price of gas right now (and also biking falls under that "luxuries I will splurge on" category). Just don't buy anything from a department store brand. Schwinn, Raleigh, GT, Trek, Cannondale, all good brands I've had experience with. And I was of the same mind about drop handlebars until I tried them, after a few days you get used to them. But you can put regular straight bars on a road bike, too.
 
For cheap bikes (cheap ANYTHING, really) it is hard to beat craigslist. I think a used Schwinn in good condition can go for under $100 here. You can buy a nice new one for around $600, which sounds like an ungodly amount until you compare it to the price of gas right now (and also biking falls under that "luxuries I will splurge on" category). Just don't buy anything from a department store brand. Schwinn, Raleigh, GT, Trek, Cannondale, all good brands I've had experience with. And I was of the same mind about drop handlebars until I tried them, after a few days you get used to them. But you can put regular straight bars on a road bike, too.

I am in the process of trying to find a used road bike right now and having an incredibly difficult time. My budget is about $200 and I have found nothing (and yes, I primarily look on craigslist).




Minnerbelle: if you don't mind me asking, what type of job do you have and how many hours/week do you work? I have always had a job while in school, but my parents and boyfriend are pretty much telling me to not work while I am in vet school. (They just say that cost of living loans are for a reason and now vet school is my job blah blah blah....) I will personally find this really hard to do since I don't like to just sit around and live off of borrowed money. Do you find you have plenty of time to study and your job does not impact your academic performance?
 
I get a strange sense of satisfaction from clipping coupons... I cut out nearly every one of them and when I go to the grocery store, if it's a product I know I won't buy, I'll leave the coupon with someone that's looking at that product or I'll leave it on the shelf next to the product.

This made me smile. What an awesome way to build up good karma! :laugh:
 
Hey guys - it's kind off topic, BUT, getting my bike stolen will result is lotz of $$ being wasted so......

How safe is it to leave a (nicer) bike on the UC Davis vet campus overnight? I have a name brand (expensive) cable lock and always lock back and front tires, frame, to an object. When I was an undergrad I also had a nice bike, and left it on camput overnight all the time with no issues, but since I lived ON CAMPUS, I guess it felt like I was close enough to keep an eye on it (I know, ridiculous). I'll have a small car, so I could buy a bike rack (several hundred dollars) to cart it back and forth every day, but it would be easier and cheaper if the campus is relatively safe (but NOT if I have ot replace it if it got stolen).

My sister at Davis got her bike stolen out of her apartmnet complex (next to the trees), but the bike was in a very secluded, hidden area. My other sister at chico got her bike stolen out of the dorm bike parking - they were targeting treks (it was actually my trek that I used at Davis that she had that was taken!). It was locked properly. I have a specialized right now, which I know is less targeted than the treks but still.......I think that Davis still has a policy of extreme penalties if you are found on campus with bolt cutters right? So maybe if I left the bike in a highly visable/patrollable spot and used BOTH a cable lock and a Ulock?
 
I'm considering selling my firstborn. Anybody want some eggs with really good GRE scores? :laugh:

(kidding . . . mostly . . .)
 
Was I the person you met?? This is my exact situtation. They won't deliver pizza after 5 pm... even though I live on "the good side"....

Just shows it happens in every city, unfortunately. The girl I met was in Philly, but living in the Temple area (not nearly as nice as UPenn area).

I don't even want to know what the bad side looks like 😱
 
Hey guys - it's kind off topic, BUT, getting my bike stolen will result is lotz of $$ being wasted so......

How safe is it to leave a (nicer) bike on the UC Davis vet campus overnight? I have a name brand (expensive) cable lock and always lock back and front tires, frame, to an object. When I was an undergrad I also had a nice bike, and left it on camput overnight all the time with no issues, but since I lived ON CAMPUS, I guess it felt like I was close enough to keep an eye on it (I know, ridiculous). I'll have a small car, so I could buy a bike rack (several hundred dollars) to cart it back and forth every day, but it would be easier and cheaper if the campus is relatively safe (but NOT if I have ot replace it if it got stolen).

My sister at Davis got her bike stolen out of her apartmnet complex (next to the trees), but the bike was in a very secluded, hidden area. My other sister at chico got her bike stolen out of the dorm bike parking - they were targeting treks (it was actually my trek that I used at Davis that she had that was taken!). It was locked properly. I have a specialized right now, which I know is less targeted than the treks but still.......I think that Davis still has a policy of extreme penalties if you are found on campus with bolt cutters right? So maybe if I left the bike in a highly visable/patrollable spot and used BOTH a cable lock and a Ulock?


Current UCD'ers, correct me if I'm wrong - but are we really going to need something on campus to get us around? THe buildings are so close together, I figured I'd be ok walking anywhere.
 
A lot of really good things have already been said on here but this is what I have been able to do....

~I live 1 mile off campus right now and bike to school EVERY DAY! I have not driven to school in the last two years. Now I am in WI so this has meant thunderstorms, hail, sleet, blizzard, ice...you name it, Ive ridden in it! My poor bike (a very old bike that my mom had for ~15 yrs before I took it over is about shot and will not be coming to vet school with me;-( I ride a lot in the summer (to work which is 7 miles each way + "fun rides" where ever) so it has had some good milage. Brakes no longer work (which is fun...) and the chain jumps track so often its to the point where I carry a screw driver in my backback to dislodge it. I bought a bike for $20 off the side of the rode last year so tires and tubes and it is good to go pretty cheap

~I have a dog at school with me at all times (we have 5 so they rotate depending on time of year) but barring any unforseen medical expenses or me buying "extras" for them I do not have to pay for anything. I just grab a bag of food when I go home (we get the 50lb breeder bags at cost as well) and I take as much heartguard as I need until the next time I will be home. I did underestimate food during one period this year and ended up buying a 30#bag for $10 more than what we pay for the 50! Showing ect is our family hobby soI do all the grooming and training for our kennel so its probably a fair trade but I definately appreciate getting to have my companions for nothing.

~I am still on my parents health insurance, phone bill, and car insurance. I pay 15/month for unlimited texting but my dad's company covers the rest of the plan. Car is just my family being extremely generous...they just give me the new card and sticker for the plate every year. I don't get tuition help which is A-OK because I know full well how quickly all those things would add up. I also get fixes pretty cheap as my dad is a good mechanic so I just pay for the parts as long as I can get my car home to him before it poops out. It will be easier only be 30 min away from home next year vs 3.5hrs for sure though!

~Food: Make friends with a short distance trucker that does a lot of deliveries to bakeries ect. If there is anything damaged the company can not accept the goods and it just sits in the warehouse. I got a 50lb bag of oatmeal b/c of this which is GREAT because I live off of oatmeal, milk, and eggs. The eggs I get free from my boss at work who loves raising chickens but cant eat the eggs herself and doesnt have time to sell them! So I splerge on milk and Franks Red hot (for the eggs!). I do buy packets of flavered oatmeal as well (1pk + 1/2c plain=just right for fullness and flavor) but dont have to buy the "base". I think its going to last me well into next year lol.

~make a list BEFORE you go into the store. If its not on the list, it can wait till next time. This helps avoid impulse shopping. THis is esp. helpful around the holidays and can make you think about how much you spend on presents for everyone...that being said get picky about WHO you buy presents for. Not everyone you know needs one.
 
heylodeb! you changed your avatar and it took me a moment......LOL. Yes, I know I could just check the advatar thread....

I was thinking of having the bike in case I wanted to go over the MU, the ARC, swim at Hickey (assuming my vet student ID is good for free swims still) etc. My car will be too small to transport the bike so if I don't pay $$ for a rack (see! I'm tying this into the topic of the thread!!!!), I'll ahve to drive my PU those days which costs mucho $$ AND parking a long bed 3/4 ton in those parking lots is a PIA.

Sorry guys!!! total thread hijack...I am now shutting up.
 
Forgot to Add....

Re: bikes being stolen: I had mine "drunk stolen" a year and a half ago but put an all alert out on FB. My BF's friend saw a guy riding it later that week and figured out where he lived. We ran a late night mission and stole it back;-) Pretty sad when stealing my own bike back is about the most rebel thing I have ever done!
 
My car will be too small to transport the bike so if I don't pay $$ for a rack (see! I'm tying this into the topic of the thread!!!!), I'll ahve to drive my PU those days which costs mucho $$ AND parking a long bed 3/4 ton in those parking lots is a PIA.

I drive a tiny saturn and if I need to take my bike somewhere a short distance away (to get repaired or something) I put as much of it in the trunk as possible then bungee cord the trunk down through the bike. It works fine for in town driving and you wont have to worry about a rack then. Usually I put it so that the rear wheel/pedels are inside and then the handles/front tire hang out. It takes some finagling but it can be done!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha any time I would see a silver/red bike ANYWHERE (someone's porch, being ridden, on campus...) I would get really suspicious and take a closer peak to make sure it wasn't mine. Unfortunately I think mine was stolen by someone with ill intentions, not a drunken joy ride 🙁 Awesome that you managed to get it back though!

Yah if you have a newer/common model bike it is not so easy to ID yours vs everyone else. Mine is older, has a "Fat butt seat" that my mom bought when she had it to save her tush, and is a real off brand....Ive never seen one like it before;-) We have a bike registration program but IDK how useful it actually is.
 
Forgot to Add....

Re: bikes being stolen: I had mine "drunk stolen" a year and a half ago but put an all alert out on FB. My BF's friend saw a guy riding it later that week and figured out where he lived. We ran a late night mission and stole it back;-) Pretty sad when stealing my own bike back is about the most rebel thing I have ever done!

My bike seat got stolen during St. Pat's 2 years ago. I never liked the bike anyway, so I just left it... I do love road bikes though. It's a truly amazing feeling to have such a smooth ride!
 
I totally agree! Street bikes are much more efficient. The sound of "fat tires" drives me insane now that I only use a street bike;-) I had the option of getting a totally new mtn bike way back in HS but I said I wanted my mom's bike instead...she got the new one and I was a happy camper. Win-Win. I ended up riding my roommies mtn for about a week because I had popped tube and no time to take mine in for a new one...I was so glad when I was able to ride mine again!

My sister had her seat stolen off of her bike just a few weeks ago. She is in the dorms and that seems to be a common prank.
 
I once had someone steal the faceplate off my car cd player, but they didn't steal the cd player. So it was basically useless to both of us. Not cool!
 
  • Create a reasonable budget and stick to it like glue.
  • Replace all your light bulbs with fluorescent blubs or leds.
  • No more fast food or resturants. 😀
 
  • Create a reasonable budget and stick to it like glue.
  • No more fast food or resturants. 😀

If you make a budget, you can allow for fast food and restaurants.

Honestly, groceries ain't that cheap either. Plus, it takes time to make meals... time that I just don't have :/
 
I'll have a small car, so I could buy a bike rack (several hundred dollars) to cart it back and forth every day, but it would be easier and cheaper if the campus is relatively safe (but NOT if I have ot replace it if it got stolen).

I paid $40 for a bike rack from Walmart. I ordered it online and did the site to store pick up. It holds 2 bikes and works great. It supposedly fits on all different types of cars. I have a Honda Accord and it works on it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Deluxe-2-Bike-Carrier/10811998
 
Another thing to do is get a vacuum sealer. You can buy lots of meat when it's on sale and it will keep for a year in one of those bags. Around here, stored usually have good deals on NY strips around Memorial Day and Labor Day. Helps to have a chest freezer to store it all.
 
Another thing to do is get a vacuum sealer. You can buy lots of meat when it's on sale and it will keep for a year in one of those bags. Around here, stored usually have good deals on NY strips around Memorial Day and Labor Day. Helps to have a chest freezer to store it all.

This sparked another idea....Start hunting, and if you do hunt, learn to cut it up yourself instead of sending it to get processed. Venison in particular can save a lot of money compared to buying beef! Plus its better for you;-)
 
Venison in particular can save a lot of money compared to buying beef! Plus its better for you;-)

Depends on where you are at. If I was in Indiana, I would agree with you. Our deer there live on corn. Out here, and in the south in particular, the deer are a little larger than a goat. I saw a buck out here that I thought was a fawn. Now, if only my wife would let me get a couple head of Dexters...
 
So, I found this dinky little shoebox of a room in what's apparently a really nice house (hope to see it on Friday!). I'm thinking I can take the couple hundred I'll save on rent and splurge on a decent loft bed so I don't go crazy from lack of floor space. Anybody do this in undergrad/first apartment/whenever? Did it drive you completely crazy?
 
I had a loft bed last year. I'm reposting this as a warning*.

ouch.png


*I loved the thing despite hitting my head on it on a routine basis..

Someone in my dorm freshman year duct taped a cut-down-the-middle noodle to the side of her bed because she kept doing the same thing. It worked really well but looked a little silly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the warning! It might help that I'm fun sized. Some of the taller lofts I can just stand under without even ducking. Yeah, short kid is short. 🙂

Also, your artistic skillz are badass. 😀
 
Someone in my dorm freshman year duct taped a cut-down-the-middle noodle to the side of her bed because she kept doing the same thing. It worked really well but looked a little silly.

I wrapped mine in bubble wrap. I was seriously worried about inflicting lasting damage and failing classes due to loft-bed-induced-brain damage. And I'm no giant, either.
 
Oddly enough, I can only remember hitting my head on my loft bed once in an entire year. I'm not particularly short either. Guess I just got used to getting up at an angle so my head was already clear by the time I stood up.
 
Depends on where you are at. If I was in Indiana, I would agree with you. Our deer there live on corn. Out here, and in the south in particular, the deer are a little larger than a goat. I saw a buck out here that I thought was a fawn. Now, if only my wife would let me get a couple head of Dexters...

Sad! Our does easily reach 200lb here...