Advice on Keeping Debt Low

Started by awaring1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any suggestions of brands/price range?

You should definitely look on Craigslist for a bike. I don't have any suggestions on brands. I ride a bianchi I bought it used 5 years ago. It was my best investment. Pedaling is so much easier than my old 1 speed. I am in the process of selling it now because I am moving.
 
Depends on where you are at. If I was in Indiana, I would agree with you. Our deer there live on corn. Out here, and in the south in particular, the deer are a little larger than a goat. I saw a buck out here that I thought was a fawn. Now, if only my wife would let me get a couple head of Dexters...

Funny you mention Indiana. My husband has a lifetime hunting license in Indiana. Something the state decided to do for a short amount of time and then realized it was a very bad idea. He actually bought it when he was a youth hunter so it was only like $500 and saves him $100-$200 a year. He always says that we will never starve no matter how poor we get. Too bad I don't like deer meat. Once the big bills for vet school start rolling in I may need to change my mind on that.:d
 
I realize this thread is pretty dead now, but just found it and after making my last post I got so interested I read through the whole thing (instead of sleeping like I should be doing right now). Here are my thoughts.

I know the whole live in a cheap area was a joke, but I would also like to share my experience on that. If you are considering a cheap apartment just remember there is a reason it is cheap.

We lived in a really cheap apartment that looked nice, but was actually a hang out for gangs, had random guys rapping in the parking lot in the middle of the day and common shootings at the Wal Mart down the road. We were there about 6 months when we got robbed really badly in the middle of the day while it was raining and I had only been gone about 3 hours. About $8000 worth. I didn't even realize we had that much stuff.

The worse part was our little dog (pictured in my avatar) was home and had a seizure a few days later that we think was brought on my stress. He still will not greet my husband at the door when he comes home unless I am already home. Instead he runs and hides until he hears his name called. He use to run and say hello the second he got home.

I basically cried everyday until we finally just decided it was not worth it and moved to another apartment. We paid 2 rents for several months until finally finding a sub-leaser that would take that hell hole from us. We were honest about the reason we were moving so I am not surprised most people turned down our offer of subsidizing the rent on an already really cheap place. When we figured up our deductible (I am a HUGE fan of renters insurance. Even if you are on a budget make sure you get this. It is only about $10 a month and worth it if anything happens. some of you may still be covered on your parents home owner insurance. Look into that before getting your own policy.) the double rent for several months, the amount we paid someone to take over the lease, moving expenses etc we could have lived in a luxury apartment downtown for that 6 months. Not worth it at all.

Instead my recommendation for saving money on rent is to live with roommates. In college I lived in a huge house with 8 girls and the rent was SOOO cheap. My husband and I signed a lease for a place by ourselves for his first year of vet school just because we don't know anyone, but after we make some friends we plan to hopefully have roommates for future years to cut down on costs. Yes we are married and are use to having our own place, but that was when we were not raking up twice what we were making in debt. And the benefits for someone that would be our roommate is that we only take up one room, but would of course be paying a larger portion of rent since there are 2 of us.

Also take a look at the type of loans you are being offered. We will never turn down free money or a subsidized loan even if we don't think we need it right now, but when it gets to the higher interest loans we will be taking a hard look at savings to see if we think we could swing it without having to add to the debt. I know we are a little different situation than most as I will be working so we will still have some income, but if you have savings you may want to pull into it some if you can do so with still leaving a cushion.

Loving everyone's food recommendations and I am even going to check out that mint.com sight to see if it could help us. I recommend shopping at Aldi if you have one in your area. My husband use to work there and we shop there all the time. They do not have EVERYTHING, but their selection is getting better and you can cross off the majority of what is on your list and then run to another grocery for the last few items. Well worth it. You can get a full cart (and their carts are huge) for about $50-$70 while that would be about $120 anywhere else we go.

And my last recommendation now that I have wrote a complete book on a thread that seems to be dead anyway. When we signed our lease for this coming August we purposely chose a unit close to the office in hopes we can pick up on wireless. Other things we have done to save money on the cable bill: Only get internet not tv and when you promotion runs out call them or go into a location. You may not get as good of a deal as the first promotion, but we have always found they can sign us up for another promotion that ends up being about half off the full price. I have just told them we cannot pay the full price and suddenly a deal they forgot about comes to them. At our last place we made friends with a neighbor that we shared internet with. This was a great set up as he was already renting a modem and we owned a modem that also had built in wireless (that modem has also saved me a lot of money over the 5 years I have had it) he was so happy to have wireless he didn't even have us chip in for the monthly bill even after we offered. Great deal!:highfive:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't pay for repairs, see if you can do it yourself first.

re bikes: Bike tires and tubes are cheap and really easy to replace with a low cost tool, if you really want someone to do it for you, remove the wheel and it's usually a lot cheaper than if you were to bring the entire bike.

other repairs: invest in a basic toolbox, and see if you can diagnose a problem/fix it unless under warranty by watching youtube videos. I saved over $200 the cost of hiring a handyman to fix our washing machine which required a $3 part I could order from amazon, and it only took about half an hour (plus the time I left it to let the spiders escape once I opened everything up) to fix, beyond that totally worth how proud my dad was that I did it myself.

And measure your food-- saves your waist-line and your wallet... make that box of cereal last all 12 servings instead of 9.
 
And measure your food-- saves your waist-line and your wallet... make that box of cereal last all 12 servings instead of 9.

YES. Absolutley. I can make $150 worth of groceries last me and my girlfriend 3 weeks. I do go shopping for fresh fruit and vegetables each week, which adds about $30 to that total (one of the weeks is included in the original figure). But it's still pretty good compared to what I hear a lot of my friends pay for groceries, and it beats the hell out of eating out all the time.

This goes for pet food too. Measure your animals' food! Free choice and "eyeballing" can often lead to either waste or an overweight pet. Go by what the bag suggests, then adjust up or down depending on what your individual pet needs. Come up with a good amount and then stick with it!
 
If you eat meat, consider cutting back. Try cutting meat out of your lunch and finding creative ways to avoid it. It really does open up your food options and make for some more interesting eating. And, it can be cheaper. Fresh fruits and veggies are definitely not cheap, but neither is meat, and it's cheaper and healthier to eat beans and rice and veggie snacks for lunch than it is a turkey sandwich! My boyfriend and I typically spend about $50-60 a week on groceries, which includes all toiletries, household products, food for three cats, and lots of fresh fruits and veggies. It seems like a lot to me but I'm sure lots of people end up spending more.
 
This goes for pet food too. Measure your animals' food! Free choice and "eyeballing" can often lead to either waste or an overweight pet. Go by what the bag suggests, then adjust up or down depending on what your individual pet needs. Come up with a good amount and then stick with it!


If I went by the bag, one dog would be getting double what he gets now, and the other would be getting almost triple-- and she's pretty high energy too. Apparently I have easy keepers, but I find the bags are rarely accurate. Whenever I tell people how much my little dog eats, they think I starve her. 25 lbs, gets a little less than 3/4 cup once a day. Bag suggests almost 2 cups a day. She'd really be a fattie-- as it is she's got a tiny bit of chunk around her waist. The last food I had her on she was getting a 1/2 cup once a day and that was it (But that was a "higher quality" / more dense food than she's on now-- not to start that debate all over again)

AS for people food, I know this has been brought up somewhere, maybe even earlier in this thread, but make your own food! I make big meals, freeze a lot, and there's always something in the freezer to eat. I also make my own bread, hummus, trail mix, and anything else I can come up with. Make everything in bulk, saves so much money in the long run. I made 8 loaves of bread over Christmas break (healthy bread!). I think my total cost worked out to about $1 per loaf, and I had a lot of "ingredients" left over for next time I need more. Same for hummus. It's healthy, and sooo much cheaper to make your own- and easy. Big trays of mac and cheese, lasagna, soups/stews, all freeze well and are easy to make and affordable.
Also, milk freezes! I'm lactose intolerant so use very little milk each week, but I buy the big gallons, split it up into cup sized portions and freeze it.
I'm highly considering splurging on a chest freezer next semester because my freezer is always packed, and I'm always trying to fit more into it.

I spend probably $100 a month on groceries, most of which is fruits/veggies and granola bars (That I have no time to make myself right now!) Some months run a lot more if the freezer starts running low on meals and meat, but most months I spend about that, if not less. As of right now, I have not gone grocery shopping in about three weeks (Except for quick runs to the market for veggies) and could probably go another 2 weeks without going again.
 
I know it's been said to death....but making your own food and freezing it is great! And for those of you that feel like you lack the time to make food to freeze....here are a couple of sites I've found about "once a month cooking". They have great recipes that you make and freeze! Just take a day once a month and go on a cooking binge, freeze the results and you're off!

http://onceamonthcook.com/

http://www.dinnersinthefreezer.com/
 
If I went by the bag, one dog would be getting double what he gets now, and the other would be getting almost triple-- and she's pretty high energy too. Apparently I have easy keepers, but I find the bags are rarely accurate. Whenever I tell people how much my little dog eats, they think I starve her. 25 lbs, gets a little less than 3/4 cup once a day. Bag suggests almost 2 cups a day. She'd really be a fattie-- as it is she's got a tiny bit of chunk around her waist. The last food I had her on she was getting a 1/2 cup once a day and that was it (But that was a "higher quality" / more dense food than she's on now-- not to start that debate all over again)

My dog is 8 pounds and gets fed 1/2 cup twice a day.... but she actually eats mmaaayyybe once a day. I just have to buy new food bags because they just eventually go bad before she eats them.

I think the food recommendations are more geared toward dogs that are overweight, because people really are shocked to know that there is a feeding chart on the food and that they have been feeding their animals like 3xs what the recommended amount is. My boyfriend was feeding his dog 6 cups instead of 3 cups a day, until I saw that his dog was getting chunkier and I asked him how much he was feeding and then subsequently had him re-evaluate the amount!
 
I think the food recommendations are more geared toward dogs that are overweight, because people really are shocked to know that there is a feeding chart on the food and that they have been feeding their animals like 3xs what the recommended amount is.

We had a lecture by Purina and they told us most food recommendations are based on studies of intact animals ---> aka higher metabolism, higher requirements. Their thought was start at 60-75% of what the recommendations say and see how the pet does. I'm not a SA person by any means but from what I gather its easier to get owners to increase the amount being feed than decrease it. And that treat giving is a big problem so starting with less food actually helps even that out too.

Any one else have thoughts on going this route? I know my 60# mutt eats about 80% of what the recommendations say (and I don't treat unless training) and he stays at his healthy weight.
 
If I went by the bag, one dog would be getting double what he gets now, and the other would be getting almost triple-- and she's pretty high energy too. Apparently I have easy keepers, but I find the bags are rarely accurate. Whenever I tell people how much my little dog eats, they think I starve her. 25 lbs, gets a little less than 3/4 cup once a day. Bag suggests almost 2 cups a day. She'd really be a fattie-- as it is she's got a tiny bit of chunk around her waist. The last food I had her on she was getting a 1/2 cup once a day and that was it (But that was a "higher quality" / more dense food than she's on now-- not to start that debate all over again)

I know the measurements on the bags aren't always accurate-that's why I suggested using them as a starting point and adjusting from there based on your dog's needs 😉 In contrast to your anecdote, my if I fed my dog (high energy Boxer) the amount on the bag he'd be too thin. I feed him 1/2 cup per day more than what the bag suggests for his weight and he stays at an excellent body condition. Three different veterinarians (his vet from where I used to work, the emergency vet that took care of him when he blew up from allergies, and his vet now) have all commented on his excellent body condition, commending me for not letting him get overweight. So yeah, again, the bag is a good place to start, but it's important to adjust for the individual.
 
I think the food recommendations are more geared toward dogs that are overweight

I'm betting they put together those recommendations on intact dogs who are burning a bit more. (And even then the amounts seem high.) And, I imagine, they account for absolutely no other caloric/nutritional intake.

So when you combine that with people's neutered/spayed dogs, plus the tendency to read one cup as "one really rounded cup that's actually more like a cup and a half" plus some training treats plus a few "oops, did that just fall from my plate to the floor" at three meals a day .......

We've one (neutered) dog in my family that is very active - a walk every day and a trip to the doggy park very nearly every day. He still only needs about half the amount recommended for his brand of food; and at that it's a struggle to keep his weight down.
 
If you eat meat, consider cutting back. Try cutting meat out of your lunch and finding creative ways to avoid it. It really does open up your food options and make for some more interesting eating. And, it can be cheaper.

Along the lines of meat....

My SO and I are going in on a side of beef (quarter to be at my house for vet school and a quarter at his place for him & the fam) and a hog (he gets 1/2, I get 1/2). Usually you can get beef/pork/chicken SOOOOOOO much cheaper this way. We got pork at $.85/lb and beef at about $2-$3/lb (also helps if you know the producer/butcher!!!).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Along the lines of meat....

My SO and I are going in on a side of beef (quarter to be at my house for vet school and a quarter at his place for him & the fam) and a hog (he gets 1/2, I get 1/2). Usually you can get beef/pork/chicken SOOOOOOO much cheaper this way. We got pork at $.85/lb and beef at about $2-$3/lb (also helps if you know the producer/butcher!!!).

I considered this but then the power went out for a day and I realized how expensive that would be. If you're in an area where the power is consistent, then it might be a good idea. If you're subject to blackouts, it might not be.
 
I don't personally use it, but a lot of my classmates swear by www.mint.com. it's a free tool to help you budget and keep track of spending, and it shows you (graphically) what you're spending your money on as a percentage of total expenditure. there are mobile apps as well, to help you keep on top of it.

my other contribution is www.freecycle.org, which sort of goes along the principle that one man's trash is another man's treasure... sometimes. it's basically just a local network of people giving stuff away for free. a lot of it IS truly trash (IMO), but once in awhile you'll get the people who are, for example, moving TOMORROW and need to get rid of their perfectly good couch and coffee table before then.

I cannot count the good stuff I have gotten on free cycle! Just as an example: the fan I'm using right now I got on freecycle years ago and it still works fine!
 
Don't be afraid of the dollar store!
- Their powdered dish washer soap is just as good as Cascade, etc. (for $1/box)
- Ladies, disposable razors at the $1 store: pack of 10 for $1, have a new one every week and for $2 you have enough razors for the semester
- Scan their food aisles, their options rotate and many times you can find awesome brand name foods for cheap (just watch the size vs price)
- In a pinch, their toilet paper is actually decent.
- Stay away from their paper towels.
- Their cinnamon poptarts are really good.
- Their aluminum foil is ok, no more than I use it - it does the job.
- Stay away from their trash bags.


- Google the uses of vinegar. It's dirt cheap and is a great cleaner and an awesome rinse agent in the dishwasher. (instead of expensive jet dry, etc)
- Use an online e-card service. (I like blue mountain arts.) For a nominal yearly fee you can send all the e-cards you want: birthdays, holidays, sympathy, get well, etc. Saves time for going to find a card, don't have to pay postage, and for the price of 3 cards in a store you can send tons of "cards" all year long. Seriously, who keeps all their cards nowadays anyway? And blue mountain will even save birthday info and email you birthday reminders, etc. (I need all the reminders I can get.)
- Yard sales, thrift stores and craigslist - you'd be amazed at the treasures you can find
- Become a coupon clipper and list maker. Plan out your meals for the week and stick to the list.
- Don't shop hungry.
- Wally World is not always the cheapest, know your prices by location.
- Use some of the pennies saved to support your local farmers (sorry, had to put in that plug)

- Have kids? Check into the local parks & rec or the local library. These places usually offer tons of free activities for the little ones.
- Fiction addiction? See if there's a used book store near you, or utilize the library. (people forget libraries these days...)
- Every 3-5 yrs, shop for new car insurance.
- I don't buy dog beds, I buy $5 used comforters at the thrift store. My guys love to snuggle and tunnel under their blankies.
 
I think a lot of the tips are great, one of the biggest challenges in vet school will be the cost of time. our cost of living went up when I started vet school because of the lack of time to cook all meals, price shop, clip coupons, go garage sale hunting, etc.

Try to find systems that will work when you have small blocks of time and will be effective when you really won't drive to another store to get the cheaper option.
 
I think a lot of the tips are great, one of the biggest challenges in vet school will be the cost of time. our cost of living went up when I started vet school because of the lack of time to cook all meals, price shop, clip coupons, go garage sale hunting, etc.
This is so true. So often I feel "I just can't be bothered" to worry about these issues, oftentimes to the detriment of my financial situation.
 
This is so true. So often I feel "I just can't be bothered" to worry about these issues, oftentimes to the detriment of my financial situation.

Ditto again. And sometimes that $3.60 chai tea latte from starbucks just makes you feel a little bit better about life...and that's definitely worth something. 😉
 
I agree, time is just as expensive. I plan on shopping in bulk ahead of time for what I can.

and definitely allow to treat yourself on occasion!

Panera's chai > Starbucks chai 😉
 
Re: the packing lunch thing, check out this website: http://www.cookingcute.com/

She hasn't updated in literally years, but all the old recipes are still there. Packing bento for lunches makes it feel more fun ^__^

(Also she's a big advocate of making big batches, doing things in advance, etc. So maybe we don't have time to make little Pikachu onigiri or whatever, but I think she has some good tips and tasty recipes.)
 
I second the dollar store idea, but you have to be careful... for example, the same size bottle of Suave costs 96 cents at Walmart, but a dollar at the dollar store. Obviously 4 cents isn't much, but it is one of those things that I was ticked about when I figured it out...lol. But you can seriously find EVERYTHING at those places, and it's usually cheaper.

Scout out the local Goodwills, Salvation Armies, Plato's closest, etc. The little local thrift shops are awesome, as well. In my home town, we have a shop that charges 25 cents per article of clothing. I just bought a few sets of scrubs and a lab coat for $2
 
I second the dollar store idea, but you have to be careful... for example, the same size bottle of Suave costs 96 cents at Walmart, but a dollar at the dollar store. Obviously 4 cents isn't much, but it is one of those things that I was ticked about when I figured it out...lol. But you can seriously find EVERYTHING at those places, and it's usually cheaper.

Scout out the local Goodwills, Salvation Armies, Plato's closest, etc. The little local thrift shops are awesome, as well. In my home town, we have a shop that charges 25 cents per article of clothing. I just bought a few sets of scrubs and a lab coat for $2

My parents refuse to purchase anything used, so I didn't figure out the wonder of Goodwill until college. It's awesome!!! I get books there all the time, and occasionally find good deals on other things. My favorite purse was $5 from goodwill!

...I hate dollar stores though... It's yummy food/groceries or bust for me (and by bust, I just mean that I buy it anyway and go broke). I like supporting our local stores, although I go to a local chain instead of the co-op b/c it's too small to shop anonymously.

Re: Bento box link... I just wasted 2 hours yesterday reading Bento blogs! I"m so excited to have my own kitchen for making bento 🙂
 
I discovered bubble tea this week.

And then I googled it.

Always fun to find your new "pick me up" on a list entitled "8 drinks that make you fat." I then realized that I could consume 2 twix bars for 1 bubble tea.

:smack:
 
I discovered bubble tea this week.

And then I googled it.

Always fun to find your new "pick me up" on a list entitled "8 drinks that make you fat." I then realized that I could consume 2 twix bars for 1 bubble tea.

:smack:

AHHH I didn't know this. Guess I never really knew what was in bubble tea!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to pretend it has a lot less calories if you get the tea that doesn't have any milk or anything in it, and I'm never ever going to google it to find out otherwise :whistle:
 
stay away from credit cards
have a savings account
avoid bad habits such as smoking, drinking etc...

You can actually save money with a credit card if you have enough self-control to not spend over your allotted budget. I get some $$$ back with my student credit card, but if you qualify for a non-student card the rates tend to be even better.