Advice on LOR for neuro residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiiiiiiiiiii

Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently an M4 who is applying to neurology this cycle and am seeking advice on my LORs. Currently, I have 3 confirmed LOR writers. Of these 3, one is from an IM doc who I have known since M1 and have a close relationship with and is known to be an excellent LOR writer. Another is from a neurologist who I had as a facilitator in small group learning for the entirety of M2 and then for a week and a half during M3 clerkship who likes me very much and offered to write a letter without prompting. The last is not technically a neurologist but a "famous" neurodevelopmental pediatrician who I have known since undergrad and have published 5-6 papers with and am very close with both professionally and personally.

With all that said, I was a little concerned that I technically only have 1 letter from a neurologist. But, on the flip side, because all of my other three will be very very strong, I was concerned that trying to get another neurologist to write a fourth letter would water down the others since I do not really have another mentor-mentee relationship that is on the same level as these.

What do you guys think I should do? I was also wondering, might the neurodevelopmental pediatrician be looked at similar to a neurologist given that all her clinical work is very neuro focused, as is our research together?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I am currently an M4 who is applying to neurology this cycle and am seeking advice on my LORs. Currently, I have 3 confirmed LOR writers. Of these 3, one is from an IM doc who I have known since M1 and have a close relationship with and is known to be an excellent LOR writer. Another is from a neurologist who I had as a facilitator in small group learning for the entirety of M2 and then for a week and a half during M3 clerkship who likes me very much and offered to write a letter without prompting. The last is not technically a neurologist but a "famous" neurodevelopmental pediatrician who I have known since undergrad and have published 5-6 papers with and am very close with both professionally and personally.

With all that said, I was a little concerned that I technically only have 1 letter from a neurologist. But, on the flip side, because all of my other three will be very very strong, I was concerned that trying to get another neurologist to write a fourth letter would water down the others since I do not really have another mentor-mentee relationship that is on the same level as these.

What do you guys think I should do? I was also wondering, might the neurodevelopmental pediatrician be looked at similar to a neurologist given that all her clinical work is very neuro focused, as is our research together?

Thank you!!
You’re fine with 1. If you can get two that’s great but don’t overthink things. And no it isn’t similar to a neurologist, they’re peds.

Reactions: 1 users