PhD/PsyD Advice on making decision: M.A. in General Psych or PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jitta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

My goal is to become a clinical psychologist and I'm mainly focused on practice right now. I just applied to a myriad of programs and my decision has boiled down to an M.A. in General psych at CUA or a PsyD program. The costs boil down to about the same for both per year. I'm aware that the M.A. might help me get in a PhD program down the road. But still unsure of what would be best...Any advice/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was in exactly your position a few years ago- I was deciding whether or not to go into an MS in Clinical Psychology Program or a Psyd. I knew the Psyd route would be shorter but thought of the MS program as possibly having a delayed gratification effect. I knew I was going to need to go the MS route first if I wanted a phd because I went to a small school for undergrad and had few connections for research experience. I also got offered funding during my MS degree working as an RA, which I knew would really help my vita. I also asked myself if that particular psyd program is the place I want to earn my doctorate (regardless of phd or psyd) or would I be I picking it because of a lack choices and to go ahead and "get started". In the end, I elected to get my MS degree. I did this for the experience and because it was funded. As you will see from previous threads.. ..it is what you do during your masters program that matters (i.e. did you present at conferences, publish papers, get good clinical experience). I was accepted into a phd program after earning my MS but would be happy with the choice I made several years ago regardless. Even if I had not gone on, I could get licensed as a counselor, do clinical work, and be free not to worry about paying back lots of student loan debt.

You may not realize it but you actually have 3 choices- 3. not to enroll in a program at all this year, rack up some research experience in a lab, and apply again next year. But I have limited information about your situation so I am not sure what is best for you (How expensive are these programs, what is your background, and I do not know CUA...). My only real advice I can give you is that if you go the MA route you really need to do the extra stuff regardless of whether or not you want to go on (i.e. research). I know in my MS program (and I have seen others on here say it) there were individuals who just thought taking the required courses was enough to apply for a doctorate after we finished. They eventually realized that having an extra degree on your vita does not guarantee you an in.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you get licensed w. the MA?
No, I wouldn't be able to work as a clinician with the MA since it is just in Clinical Psychology. That's kinda my concern. I would have to do a doctoral afterwards if I want to practice as a clinician. I wouldn't be able to do much with just the MA.

Hello,

I was in exactly your position a few years ago- I was deciding whether or not to go into an MS in Clinical Psychology Program or a Psyd. I knew the Psyd route would be shorter but thought of the MS program as possibly having a delayed gratification effect. I knew I was going to need to go the MS route first if I wanted a phd because I went to a small school for undergrad and had few connections for research experience. I also got offered funding during my MS degree working as an RA, which I knew would really help my vita. I also asked myself if that particular psyd program is the place I want to earn my doctorate (regardless of phd or psyd) or would I be I picking it because of a lack choices and to go ahead and "get started". In the end, I elected to get my MS degree. I did this for the experience and because it was funded. As you will see from previous threads.. ..it is what you do during your masters program that matters (i.e. did you present at conferences, publish papers, get good clinical experience). I was accepted into a phd program after earning my MS but would be happy with the choice I made several years ago regardless. Even if I had not gone on, I could get licensed as a counselor, do clinical work, and be free not to worry about paying back lots of student loan debt.

You may not realize it but you actually have 3 choices- 3. not to enroll in a program at all this year, rack up some research experience in a lab, and apply again next year. But I have limited information about your situation so I am not sure what is best for you (How expensive are these programs, what is your background, and I do not know CUA...). My only real advice I can give you is that if you go the MA route you really need to do the extra stuff regardless of whether or not you want to go on (i.e. research). I know in my MS program (and I have seen others on here say it) there were individuals who just thought taking the required courses was enough to apply for a doctorate after we finished. They eventually realized that having an extra degree on your vita does not guarantee you an in.

Thank you for your response! That's helpful. (CUA is Catholic University of America in D.C.). The program costs about 42,000 a year and I got a 50% tuition scholarship. If I decide to go the route of waiting another year and then trying for an M.S. in Clinical Psych do you have any recommendation of what programs are worth checking out?

Here's my deliberation:

I like the psyd because it's a Christian program. And from the looks of it I would be surrounded by awesome people who are incredibly supportive. It's 5 years, I'm getting a scholarship, and I know it will get me to where I want to be and enable me to do the work I want. The faculty seem awesome, and I think any of them would be a great mentor. But looking at their research interests and expertise at this point there's not one that stands out that I absolutely want to work with. I don't know if that should be a concern since psyd is not research intensive anyways. But that's one thought.

I like CUA, because I get to stay in the area where I already have a support system and have a community. I get stay with my therapist and don't have to feel rushed about getting myself to where I want to be with her. I'm not coming in as a psych major so doing an M.A. might be really helpful to prepare me for doctoral work, and there are some areas of research at CUA that I think I will find interesting. Afterwards, I might be able to get into a program that is a better fit than the psyd and might possibly get a full ride. The down side is it will put me back two years, and I will have to reapply to a doctoral program after which I may or may not get in.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your response! That's helpful. (CUA is Catholic University of America in D.C.). The program costs about 42,000 a year and I got a 50% tuition scholarship. If I decide to go the route of waiting another year and then trying for an M.S. in Clinical Psych do you have any recommendation of what programs are worth checking out?
Hello you are welcome!

I know Augusta university has a funded MS program with experimental and clinical tracks with thesis option for clinical. CUA sounds like it will be expensive sorry I am responding late hope you were able to make a decision.

you said you're focused on practice. this is more for Psy.D. than PhD. you've been accepted to a Psy.D. program. I would accept that offer if I were you. no doubt about it.

If the program will cost more than your average first year salary as psychologist, it should be a no go, says every financial adviser ever.

Reactions: 1 users