Advice on mentioning my background?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaDxG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, just need some clarification if I should include this into my background and was wondering if this will give me a edge on my application if so.

Basically I was apart in a Genocide that took place in Europe in 1995's I was six years old when this happened lost a lot of family members (Father, 3 uncles, etc). Now, is this something to mention in my application and will this help me if so? (Came to America with my mom and literally came here with nothing).

I am meeting with my adviser to discuss this in further detail but just want to know your opinions on this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps to explain your path to becoming a physician you should include it.
Overcoming adversity shows adaptability, a core competency.

Obviously It has, my question is since it is a very personal experience that I went through, is it something that I can include in detail? In short, just want to know if it can help me out more than it can hurt me.

Obviously It has, my question is since it is a very personal experience that I went through, is it something that I can include in detail? In short, just want to know if it can help me out more than it can hurt me.
It will depend on how you express yourself.
I have seen applications so full of bitterness that the distance traveled was overlooked.

Reactions: 1 user
If you talk about a background of child abuse, which instilled a desire of pediatric medicine, will that make them question your psychological state of mind?

If you talk about a background of child abuse, which instilled a desire of pediatric medicine, will that make them question your psychological state of mind?
Only if you write about it in a way that suggests it.

Reactions: 1 users
Compelling stories always catch our eyes. The trick is to do so in explaining who you are and "Why medicine"?

I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, just need some clarification if I should include this into my background and was wondering if this will give me a edge on my application if so.

Basically I was apart in a Genocide that took place in Europe in 1995's I was six years old when this happened lost a lot of family members (Father, 3 uncles, etc). Now, is this something to mention in my application and will this help me if so? (Came to America with my mom and literally came here with nothing).

I am meeting with my adviser to discuss this in further detail but just want to know your opinions on this. Thanks.

Based on my experience reviewing people's personal statements, I can say that I've seen 'compelling stories' executed in two major ways - either a clear attempt to make the reader feel really bad for you and guilt them into interviewing you, or people who give clear cut reasons as to how their journey has led/prepared them for medicine.

Please be part of the latter.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, thanks for the great advice everyone. Obviously my background is different from most people, I guess just make it so the reader doesn't feel guilty to give me an interview, instead show them how my passion for medicine has strengthened through these struggles.