Advice on my situation please? SMP plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anastomosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before everyone points toward the search function, I have to clarify that I have been a long time member of SDN under another name and I have used the search function consistently. I have chosen to make a new account for other reasons.

I need advice regarding my specific situation. If anyone can contribute anything, I will be grateful.

I am a student at a University of California school. I had horrific freshman year grades for a number of reasons, but I will not spare myself with excuses. While attempting my prerequisites, I managed to pass my first quarter of gen chem with a C-. Then the next quarter I received an F in the next gen chem sequence. In my third quarter, I retook that chem sequence and received a D. At my university, you are only allowed to retake a class once. You can petition to retake the class for a second time, but petitions rarely pass. So that means I am out of luck for completing the chemistry pre-requisite, and the organic chemistry pre-requisite which requires the completion of general chem. Also, at my university you are unable to start the biology sequence until you have finished chemistry. Therefore, the only pre-requisite I can finish at my university is physics.

My current plan is to switch my major to psychology (which I have already taken some classes for) and to finish a degree in psychology. At the same time, during the summers, I will complete gen chem, o-chem, and biology at a community college in order to fulfill my pre-requisites. I will finish physics at my university.

Then, after taking my MCAT, I will apply to a SMP.

I guess my question is, how does this plan look? Are there any foul steps I am taking? Anything I'm missing? I understand that admissions committees look down on community college classes, but if I do well on my MCAT and perform well in a SMP, I should be fine right?

I am looking to go to med school - anywhere in the US, whether it be M.D or D.O.

Members don't see this ad.

why do you think that admissions committee will look down at you for taking classes at a community college? if you have improved your grades, and your overall gpa (including your science gpa) is strong then you don't need to worry :) also as long as your mcat score is high then you're a competitive applicant (although there are other considerations that you might need to complete for instance volunteer experience, clinical research experience, etc).

so i don't think it's necessary for you to consider smp.

only after you've completed the pre-reqs and taken the mcat should you consider about smp is my take (that is if your gpa is low or your mcat is not high then post-bac or smp will be best).

Thank you for your reply.
The reason I am considering a post-bacc AND SMP at this point is because my gpa is extremely low. I am sitting with a gpa of around 2.0 with 37 completed units.
The only worry I have is if the universities with SMP's will look down upon taking pre-reqs at a community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, what UC is this? When I went to UCD, you could just sign up for any class even if it has a prerequisite.

If you're sitting at 37 units, you have time to grow. Unfortunately, not a lot as you would wish. With an A- average from now on, you could get around a 3.4 overall with 140 units (are degrees still 180?).

If you truly do not care about the MD/DO controversy, your best bet is to keep a 3.2-3.3 and apply to a DO SMP with a fast track to the medical school. Even under a 3.0 sometimes do get accepted. It'll save you a lot more time than doing post-bacc work and then SMP.

oh, and by the way, 2 suggestions: max out your pass/no pass hours. It really helps. 70 units with 4.0 will get you like a 3.3. It's better than the risk of taking 140 units all for credit where you'd realistically pull an A- average

Thank you for your reply!
I attend UCSB. They have strict guidelines for retaking classes, and the biology department is unfriendly after they have deemed you unfit to major with them.

Can you please tell me how you calculated the 3.4 overall with 140 units?

Let's say I am able to pull off the 3.4, with a decent MCAT score of 30+, I am looking pretty good for a M.D SMP right?

Keep in mind, all pre-reqs will be done at a community college. (It even seems fishy to me... but I have no choice)

Thank you for your reply!
I attend UCSB. They have strict guidelines for retaking classes, and the biology department is unfriendly after they have deemed you unfit to major with them.

Can you please tell me how you calculated the 3.4 overall with 140 units?

Let's say I am able to pull off the 3.4, with a decent MCAT score of 30+, I am looking pretty good for a M.D SMP right?

Keep in mind, all pre-reqs will be done at a community college. (It even seems fishy to me... but I have no choice)
Even with a 3.2 you could make it into an MD smp. The problem is that they cost and arm and a leg and even with good grades you may get nowhere. A DO SMP will pretty much guarantee you a spot.

http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

37 with C
143 with A-
= 3.35 ~ 3.4.

Much more rational to put your entire efforts on getting a 4.0 in 70-80 units and take the rest pass/no pass. There's no way to handle 143 units with a 4.0. That means roughly 16 units every quarter, whereas pass/no pass will mean only 8 units to put your life into and 8 to get a C for the pass.

I see what you're saying. So a 4.0 in 70-80 units will yield me almost the same gpa as taking 140 units all for credit. If that is true, then I should just take many psychology classes as I can pass/np.

I am definitely up for D.O. I just want to open my options. Thank you so much for your responses.

By the way TriagePreMed, are you an EMT by any chance?

No, I asked because you had "Triage" in your name. Usually EMTs/Paramedics have specific training in such a task for large scale emergencies. I'm actually already EMT certified and I'm looking for a job right now while attending community college.

Thank you for the advice!

No, I asked because you had "Triage" in your name. Usually EMTs/Paramedics have specific training in such a task for large scale emergencies. I'm actually already EMT certified and I'm looking for a job right now while attending community college.

Thank you for the advice!
Oh, definitely they do. I got the "Triage" part from a military doctor that I heard giving an impassioned speech about the responsibilities of a physician, including triage.