Advice on personal statement story.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1160290

Hello.

In my personal statement, I touch upon an anecdote that involved me translating a foreign language between a physician and the patient family. I took away a lot from it and I felt really good about it - but I do know that some hospitals require their translators to undergo training protocols before they are allowed to translate.

Would this be an issue and should I perhaps reframe this story a little?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

In my personal statement, I touch upon an anecdote that involved me translating a foreign language between a physician and the patient family. I took away a lot from it and I felt really good about it - but I do know that some hospitals require their translators to undergo training protocols before they are allowed to translate.

Would this be an issue and should I perhaps reframe this story a little?

Thanks.
I guess I should ask... how were you trained to be in this situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should ask... how were you trained to be in this situation?
I am a scribe and many patients we see speak a foreign language that the hospital approaches through the use of tele-interpreters. I mentioned that I was fluent in a patient's family native language, and the physician and nurses all asked me to interpret to minimize miscommunication between physician and patient that commonly occurs over an iPad/Factime. As for formal training, I did not receive any and thus my concern about including the anecdote in my PS.

Reactions: 1 user
If this were an emergency, it would be acceptable.
It was not an emergency, it was during clinic. It seems like that many physicians use translators that are not formally trained by the hospital but are of course fluent in the language at my hospital. I've seen ortho techs and medical assistants all act as translators. It doesn't seem to be an issue at my hospital, but my understanding is that it may be an issue at other hospitals hence my hesitation about this specific story.

It doesn't seem to be an issue at my hospital, but my understanding is that it may be an issue at other hospitals hence my hesitation about this specific story.

At least, it wasn't as part of the informed consent process, right?

At least, it wasn't as part of the informed consent process, right?
No, all instances of me translating have happened for patients that are radiographically and clinically stable during follow-up visits. I've never translated for a patient that has needed surgery or conveyed a new course of care that hasn't been previously established.

Reactions: 1 users
This would be frowned upon by many and will make the hospital/staff look bad. Not your fault - you didn't know better obviously, but the staff should not have put you in this position, and the health system should be discouraging this.

It is much more complicated than "some hospitals require interpreters to undergo training protocols." All hospitals who receive federal funding (which is almost all hospitals) are required by the Affordable Care Act to provide "qualified interpreters" to patients with limited English proficiency. It also specifically prohibits the use of bilingual staff for this purpose, unless it is officially part of their job description, AND the staff member has demonstrated proficiency in both languages including any necessary specialized vocabulary (which is generally taken to mean they have some sort of official interpreter training or certification). The concern is that (1) there's no way to prove the staff member is actually competent in the language, (2) even a native speaker in both languages may struggle to accurately translate certain medical terminology and concepts without training in this area, and (3) being a good interpreter is more than just providing a literal and accurate translation of what was said. These concerns are not without merit.

Now certainly, there is what the law says, and there is what is done. It is not uncommon for staff to interpret "under the table." But, there is no denying that this is against the rules and could get the hospital/care providers into trouble if there was an issue.

I wonder whether you could just be more general in your description and discuss being able to help a family from X ethnicity/language/whatever navigate the care system using your personal experiences as part of that community, or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
This would be frowned upon by many and will make the hospital/staff look bad. Not your fault - you didn't know better obviously, but the staff should not have put you in this position, and the health system should be discouraging this.

It is much more complicated than "some hospitals require interpreters to undergo training protocols." All hospitals who receive federal funding (which is almost all hospitals) are required by the Affordable Care Act to provide "qualified interpreters" to patients with limited English proficiency. It also specifically prohibits the use of bilingual staff for this purpose, unless it is officially part of their job description, AND the staff member has demonstrated proficiency in both languages including any necessary specialized vocabulary (which is generally taken to mean they have some sort of official interpreter training or certification). The concern is that (1) there's no way to prove the staff member is actually competent in the language, (2) even a native speaker in both languages may struggle to accurately translate certain medical terminology and concepts without training in this area, and (3) being a good interpreter is more than just providing a literal and accurate translation of what was said. These concerns are not without merit.

Now certainly, there is what the law says, and there is what is done. It is not uncommon for staff to interpret "under the table." But, there is no denying that this is against the rules and could get the hospital/care providers into trouble if there was an issue.

I wonder whether you could just be more general in your description and discuss being able to help a family from X ethnicity/language/whatever navigate the care system using your personal experiences as part of that community, or something along those lines.
I appreciate the feedback. Perhaps making the story a bit more general through maybe transitioning the story to an anecdote conversing with a patient's family during a visit in the exam room to make them more comfortable could be a good middle ground?

A reason that I liked this story was because I could be very specific about the moments that I appreciated and valued in the patient interaction and the impact on validating my pursuit of being a physician.

Yes, it is more common to talk about how you may have introduced yourself to the patient and helped with any general nervousness they had before the actual appointment.

I appreciate the feedback. Perhaps making the story a bit more general through maybe transitioning the story to an anecdote conversing with a patient's family during a visit in the exam room to make them more comfortable could be a good middle ground?

A reason that I liked this story was because I could be very specific about the moments that I appreciated and valued in the patient interaction and the impact on validating my pursuit of being a physician.
That sounds good!

I would like to piggy back on this thread (sorry OP)

I am mentioning 2 similar experiences of me translating in my AMCAS applications, and was wondering if this would be fine (didnt think it would be an issue until came across this thread):
  1. In my Works/Activities section, I worked as a Medical Office Assistant for a walk-in clinic, and helped patients fill their forms to get them registered. I talked about translating the forms for newly immigrated refugees, helping them fill it out (translating the form and writing their responses from their language into English on the forms) and getting them checked in to see the physician.
  2. In my personal statement, I mentioned I am a volunteer at a hospice and part of my duties include providing companionship. This patient didn't speak any English and we both enjoyed each other's company as I was able to converse with them and have meaningful discussions with them in their language (no medical-related discussions).
Based on the discussion, it seems like 2 would be fine to include, but not sure of how 1 would be seen. Should I try to reframe 1?

Would gladly appreciate any thoughts!
#1 is a similar issue as OP. #2 I think would be fine because you are just there to provide company, you are not part of the medical care team per se, and are not interpreting for someone else or communicating any medically significant information.