Personal Statement Including Life Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lo&Behold

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started working on my personal statement recently and was wondering if I should include my life story in it as it's somewhat unique and involves me and my family fleeing Iraq when I was young just before the war and living in multiple countries before moving to the US. Would it be taking up too much space of the PS or is it justified for me to include it even though it doesn't necessarily directly pertain to why I want to become a physician/pursue medicine?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

doesn't necessarily directly pertain to why I want to become a physician/pursue medicine?
I don't think you should tell the story of your life in narrative form then.

BUT, I do think you would benefit from picking strong anecdotes that help you convey the unique qualities that you will bring to medical school such as resilience and perseverance.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think you should tell the story of your life in narrative form then.

BUT, I do think you would benefit from picking strong anecdotes that help you convey the unique qualities that you will bring to medical school such as resilience and perseverance.
Ah, I see. So sprinkle a few of them around as examples showcasing said qualities, then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started working on my personal statement recently... my family fleeing Iraq when I was young just before the war and living in multiple countries before moving to the US...

My reaction:

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Shaq No GIF

(Oh. I already used these gifs.)

Suggest: Use it for Other Impactful Experiences.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Your birthplace will be on the application as will be the name of your HS and where you've attended college. If you need a sentence in the personal statement to say "My family fled Iraq in 20__ and were refugees in x, y, z and several other countries before arriving in the US in 20__. " If you wanted to add one more line about the influence this had on you in terms of flexibility and resilience, or how it made you cognizant of the needs of those who are not native speakers of English, or whatever way this had a positive influence on your life, add one more sentence on that topic. Short and sweet.

Reactions: 5 users
Your birthplace will be on the application as will be the name of your HS and where you've attended college. If you need a sentence in the personal statement to say "My family fled Iraq in 20__ and were refugees in x, y, z and several other countries before arriving in the US in 20__. " If you wanted to add one more line about the influence this had on you in terms of flexibility and resilience, or how it made you cognizant of the needs of those who are not native speakers of English, or whatever way this had a positive influence on your life, add one more sentence on that topic. Short and sweet.
Perfect, that makes sense! Thank you

Not an adcom, but I am wondering, wouldn't this be better to go on the "Other Impactful Experiences" section (which previously was the disadvantaged essay) rather than mentioning it in the personal statement?

The other impactful experiences description perfectly describes this:
"To provide some additional context around each individual's application, admissions committees are interested in learning more about the challenges applicants may have overcome in life. The following question is designed to give you the opportunity to provide additional information about yourself that is not easily captured in the rest of the application.
Have you overcome challenges or obstacles in your life that you would like to describe in more detail? This could include lived experiences related to your family background, financial background, community setting, educational experiences, and/or other life circumstances.*"
Yeah... what this poster asked. ;)

As you contemplate what to write in your personal statement, you should focus on its purpose. You want to show that you have: (i) a passion for medicine; (ii) the experiences necessary to understand what it means to be a medical student and a doctor (i.e., you know what you are getting into); and (iii) the traits, experiences, and other strengths necessary to be an asset to medical schools and a skilled and humane doctor. Every sentence in your personal statement should further one of those goals. If not, the sentence is a waste of your finite opportunity to sell yourself to a highly-competitive schools. For example, you could use your background to show that you possess traits that will be an asset in your medical career:

My background required me to become adaptable and resilient. When I was five years old, the threat of war in Iran forced my family to flee the country and migrate from country to country seeking asylum. Moving from place to place was disorienting at first because, each time we moved to a new country, I had to adapt to a new culture, contend with a new language, and begin a new school. However, as time passed, I learned to . . . . [give examples that reflect your adaptability and resiliency]

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users