Advice on Post-Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member1004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My current cGPA is 3.50 and sGPA is 3.52. I would essentially like to know which program would be the best fit for me? I am trying to show medical schools that I can do well even with my lower gpa. I have good EC, hospital experience, and research. I have a lower MCAT, which I plan on re-taking in the spring semester of one the programs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need either. You can get into med school with those grades as of right now.

If you are looking to fill time until you re-take the MCAT then you have to decide how important money is. So, if you take Penn, you can always do a graduate level work if you still can't get into med school. If you go straight to graduate, its kinda fishy to then take a step back to undergrad level if you still dont get into med school following the MSP program. That's a decision based on options but its assuming money is no issue. Otherwise, I'd go for the cheapest program.

As long as you realize neither of these programs is really a backway in due to a low MCAT - nothing fixes low MCAT other than retaking it (which you plan to). You should become a hermit during your MCAT studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need either. You can get into med school with those grades as of right now.

If you are looking to fill time until you re-take the MCAT then you have to decide how important money is. So, if you take Penn, you can always do a graduate level work if you still can't get into med school. If you go straight to graduate, its kinda fishy to then take a step back to undergrad level if you still dont get into med school following the MSP program. That's a decision based on options but its assuming money is no issue. Otherwise, I'd go for the cheapest program.

As long as you realize neither of these programs is really a backway in due to a low MCAT - nothing fixes low MCAT other than retaking it (which you plan to). You should become a hermit during your MCAT studying.
Okay, thanks for your advice! Would you recommend I take the MCAT before the program starts or after the program?

I would - but only if I were ready.

If you get a 30+ on it, you don't need a post bac unless you wanted to do one

I would - but only if I were ready.

If you get a 30+ on it, you don't need a post bac unless you wanted to do one

Thanks. I guess I have the entire summer to study for it. I'll become a hermit :D

Well don't plan on submitting med school apps if you arent taking it until August or something. A late MCAT is tough on apps