Advice on Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CharlieL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm having a little trouble differentiating a few programs on my rank list, and was wondering if others could chime in on their opinion of the overall prestige of the programs as well as the ease with which it would be to obtain a job in a different region of the country coming from particular programs.

I know there are other factors to consider, but I've already been thinking about those and unless someone knows a particularly concerning weakness about any of these programs, within each set the two programs are equal enough to me that I can't decide, so if anyone has any particular little tidbits to share I'd appreciate that as well.

The two pairs of programs I'm trying to differentiate are:

UCLA vs Medical College of Wiscosin

and

University of Minnesota vs Loyola

Obviously most of these programs are in the Midwest, so for those pretend I want to work on the West or East Coast, and for UCLA lets pretend I want to work in the Midwest or East Coast.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can only tell you i really liked MCW program when I interviewed.Solid training and super friendly staff. Residents seemed very happy. Program also offers pain and sports fellowship amongst others,

Heard nothin but good about UCLA

Chose not to keep U of Minnesota interview, as I just feel most of their neighboring PM&R programs are overall stronger, save Peds rotation at Gillette, including a program like MCW

No comment on the rest as no experience or opinion

When you say most of the neighboring PM&R programs are overal stronger than UMN, are you referring to Mayo, MCW, UW, and the Chicago programs? Most applicants/residenst/program directors have told me UMN is "mid tier", along with Loyola, Rush, Schwab. RIC and Mayo are obviously upper tier, and others tell me Marianjoy and U Wisconsin are lower tier. (I didn't apply to all of those, I'm just commenting on the programs closest to Minnesota).

Also, if anyone else has any last-minute advice re: UMN vs Loyola, I'd greatly appreciate it. I think I got the UCLA vs. MCW decision down. Only slightly more than 24hrs to make a final decision!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
"When you say most of the neighboring PM&R programs are overal stronger than UMN, are you referring to Mayo, MCW, UW, and the Chicago programs? "

Yes I am

"Most applicants/residenst/program directors have told me UMN is "mid tier", along with Loyola, Rush, Schwab"

Can't comment on those three chitown programs too much, but would say mid tier compared to RIC. UMN probably falls on that category compared to mayo RIC and IMHO MCW.

"RIC and Mayo are obviously upper tier, and others tell me Marianjoy and U Wisconsin are lower tier"

not sure about lower tier status here.

I'm the only person I know from my class applying into PM&R so I'd like to know what other people's opinions are about NRH vs. Mt. Sinai vs. Case vs. MCW.

Any insider information would be great as all I'm going off of is my one day snap shot of the program.