Advice on reapplication, and what holds mean at this point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.donkey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am a first time applicant this cycle and I have been fortunate to receive 2 MD IIs thus far. One of them turned into a "delayed decision" and the other I'm still waiting to hear back from. I've also received 6 rejections (out of 36 schools I applied to), and I have been placed on a pre-II hold at 5 schools. Essentially, I'm wondering if I should realistically be expecting to have to reapply at this point, or if there is a still a good chance I could make it in this cycle given the 2 IIs and the multiple holds. I guess I'm just not sure if the holds are essentially just soft R's at this point in the cycle.

For reference, my stats are as follows
MCAT: 511 (126/129/126/130)
Undergrad: cGPA (3.3), sGPA (3.3)
Grad GPA (did a 2 year masters in biology, with thesis): 3.63
ECs: Approx 6 years of research experience, 1400 hours of clinical experience (with patients), D3 varsity athlete, ~150 hours volunteer work

Appreciate all the advice I can get here!

Members don't see this ad.

The adcoms advise that, due to the abysmal overall acceptance rate, we should always be preparing for a potential reapplication until we have an A in hand.

That said, you are in a far better position than many, and definitely have a realistic chance both to convert one of your IIs into an A, and to receive additional IIs. It's really not quantifiable, so impossible to say whether it is a "good" chance.

My advice would be to try not to obsess while waiting and doing things to improve what is already a very solid application in case you need to reapply. Due to your GPA and the insanely competitive landscape, you should also consider DO if you become a reapplicant.

I don't think 2 IIs with no Rs yet indicates you need to start by working on interview skills, even though I am not an adcom. Too small a sample size and no evidence of any issues on that front to make such a statement IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are rejected until you get that accept email in your Inbox, so yes, you need to be working on Plan B.

For starters, work on interview skills.
thank you! that's great advice. can always use more interview tips/practice :)

Reactions: 1 user
The adcoms advise that, due to the abysmal overall acceptance rate, we should always be preparing for a potential reapplication until we have an A in hand.

That said, you are in a far better position than many, and definitely have a realistic chance both to convert one of your IIs into an A, and to receive additional IIs. It's really not quantifiable, so impossible to say whether it is a "good" chance.

My advice would be to try not to obsess while waiting and doing things to improve what is already a very solid application in case you need to reapply. Due to your GPA and the insanely competitive landscape, you should also consider DO if you become a reapplicant.
great thoughts, thank you! yeah, I was so close to applying DO this cycle but decided against it because I was burned out after all the MD secondaries. maybe ill switch it up next time.

Reactions: 1 users
great thoughts, thank you! yeah, I was so close to applying DO this cycle but decided against it because I was burned out after all the MD secondaries. maybe ill switch it up next time.
I don't blame you for taking a MD only shot first to see what happens, if for no other reason than to avoid the obnoxious, punitive, non-refundable exit fees (deposits) DO schools extract from applicants just like you who receive early DO acceptances and later MD ones.

It might end up costing you a year, but hopefully things will work out. The fact that you are receiving any IIs at all in spite of your GPA indicates you have a really strong application. I get why you are nervous, but it really is too early to panic. A LOT of people just like you end up receiving their first As later in the cycle, assuming you are able to submit compelling updates and letters of interest/intent at the appropriate time(s).

If there is a next time, definitely do NOT switch it up. There is a benefit to getting MD applications in earlier, and the DO cycle runs later. Believe me, if you need to reapply, you will have more than enough motivation not to burn out.