Advice on retaking CC course at university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I retake physics at university?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Complete physics I at CC, then physics II at university

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

ctaim

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Finding myself in a bit of a dilemma as my plans have fallen through.

I graduated from a smaller Florida university in fall 2015, with a BA in Psychology and a minor in Biology. My cumulative GPA was 3.95, major 4.0, and science 3.85ish. (I was originally planning PhD clinical psychology).

After graduating, I took a year off school to work as a scribe (currently 3k+ hours).

Then, I went back to school for pre med, as I still had Ochem, Biochem and physics left.
I took Ochem I and then Ochem II in 2016; my current gpa at that university is now 3.93 cumulative, 4.0 major and 3.8ish science.

I am currently taking Physics I (but I'm taking it at a community college due to a recent move to save money).

My question is, therefore, with all the gap time that I have/taking one class per semester (as I'll end up applying next cycle, 2018-19), should I look into retaking physics at the university level? Or should I finish up physics at this community college. I'll be taking biochemistry at university.

Thank you
Oh, and I should mention that I have no issues applying DO if that changes anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, you've certainly done quite well with your GPAs over the years! Congratulations :soexcited:

How far along are you in your physics course so far? Would it be a transferable credit accepted by your university? If you have a perfect or near-perfect final grade and it transfers over, I don't believe it will be too much of an issue that you took it at a CC considering your other upper level sciences were taken at a university and were very successfully completed (especially if you have a different class that is semi-physics related). You could always finish this physics course at the CC and complete Physics II at university, if it will be beneficial for you to do so (which is a big question, depending on your specific circumstances. If you know that you will do well in it and it will help your application, then great! But you also wouldn't want to take a class that doesn't really benefit you in any way).

At the same time though, you might face the question about why you decided to take that class and only that class at a community college at this point in your academic career, which of course you would have to justify. The very top schools might see it as a negative as well, although I'm sure there are many others that would not count it against you.

Take everything I say here with a grain of salt though --- I do not have a background in MS admissions, so my knowledge is based off of the advice I've received from several different admissions advisors :) If anyone else who is more knowledgeable on the subject is viewing this, please chime in!

Wow, you've certainly done quite well with your GPAs over the years! Congratulations :soexcited:

How far along are you in your physics course so far? Would it be a transferable credit accepted by your university? If you have a perfect or near-perfect final grade and it transfers over, I don't believe it will be too much of an issue that you took it at a CC considering your other upper level sciences were taken at a university and were very successfully completed (especially if you have a different class that is semi-physics related). You could always finish this physics course at the CC and complete Physics II at university, if it will be beneficial for you to do so (which is a big question, depending on your specific circumstances. If you know that you will do well in it and it will help your application, then great! But you also wouldn't want to take a class that doesn't really benefit you in any way).

At the same time though, you might face the question about why you decided to take that class and only that class at a community college at this point in your academic career, which of course you would have to justify. The very top schools might see it as a negative as well, although I'm sure there are many others that would not count it against you.

Take everything I say here with a grain of salt though --- I do not have a background in MS admissions, so my knowledge is based off of the advice I've received from several different admissions advisors :) If anyone else who is more knowledgeable on the subject is viewing this, please chime in!

I feel that this is solid advice. Let me run an additional concern by you, and any other viewers.
At the CC, they asked me to audit trigonometry, since I only had statistics and social science statistics in college. I went up to pre-calc in HS and never needed calculus for my degree.
So, on that transcript I will have an audited trigonometry class and physics I.
Does this affect your answer in any way?

I wasn't planning on applying to any top programs. Just every state school in florida, north carolina, some additional mid/lower-tiers with high OOS acceptance, and about 7+ DO schools. (Just wanna be a doctor over here)

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user